Subject: RPG Geek Play by Forum Initative - 2013 Edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Welcome to the 2013 Edition of the RPG Geek Play-By-Forum Initiative!

We ran our first edition of this last year and we were pleasantly surprised how much enthusiasm there was for the project. For 2013, we've added more Game Masters which means more games and a wider variety of games. The organization is, hopefully, improved given our learning from last year. A total of 48 games are being offered - most taking from between 4 to 6 players. This means we can easily handle 200 new PbF Role-Players with this initiative. What's more is that several of the new players from last year are running games this year!

The goal of this initiative is simple: to help bring people into the RPG hobby and to get them active on RPG Geek Play-by-Forums. As such, we are launching this across all three domains (although BGG and VGG are the focus for this as we lure people to the dark side). There are only two rules for joining a game: 1) You have never participated in an RPG Geek Play-by-Forum game before and 2) you can only join one game in this offering.

One of the best kept secrets over on RPG Geek is our ability to play games via forum. Unlike most boardgames, there are often no proprietary bits or equipment needed to play many role-playing games. The main ingredients for most games are some sort of randomizer and a healthy imagination. A few games don't even require the randomizer part!

RPG Geek boasts a fantastic Geek Randomizer (aka Online Die Roller) which handles the task of adding all sorts of randomizers to our system - dice, cards, Magic-8-Ball, etc. For example:

wavemotion previously rolled 3d8+1 = (3 + 1 + 7) + 1 = 12 (Kobold Bullrush Attack)

Currently more than 300 games have been played successfully via our forums and new ones crop up all the time. But many are done by veteran GMs for players already well up and running with a given system. This initiative puts the focus on new players - either new to Play-by-Forum here at RPG Geek or players who have not role-played before. We expect that there will be some new players who have little or no familiarity with core concepts of role-playing - and we will get those folks up to speed quickly so they can enjoy this great hobby!

Role-Playing games are, at the core, an exercise in let's pretend. It's much like the informal games you played as children - things like Cowboys & Indians (yes, I know that's not the PC term but that's what we called it), Cops & Robbers, War or House. It's an inherently social activity - far more than most other games. It is also quite cooperative - with the group facing dangers and issues and resolving them as a team. You've perhaps played some boardgames with RPG-elements such as: Shadows over Camelot, Castle Ravenloft, Shadow Hunters or the Lord of the Rings boardgame. For the video-gamer types, perhaps you've enjoyed some classic computer RPGs such as Baldur's Gate or Diablo or console RPGs like Dragon Age. Many of the same elements of interaction, combat and puzzle-solving appear in more traditional tabletop RPGs. If these games appealed to you, you might absolutely love the full immersion into a game where the choices are, for all practical purposes, limited only by your imagination.

RPGs cover a wide variety of genres and tastes. We play cowboys, treasure hunters, detectives, space jockeys, anthropomorphic bunnies, caped heroes, giant robots and sword-wielding heroes (and sometimes villains!). And those are just the common types you might consider playing. There are over 5000 games in our database currently and more added every day. Some games are a bit more tactical-heavy with their focus on combat. Others are almost improv-theatre with their story telling qualities. Most fall somewhere between these two extremes. If you're unsure what you might like to try, we're here to help you focus in on a game that might be to your liking.

The games being offered are shown on the following geeklist:

2013 RPG Geek Newbie Play-by-Forum Sign-up

We've assembled some of the best Game Masters (GMs) who will run the game and make sure you understand the rules needed. You will not need to buy any rules nor will you be required to read piles of system notes. Most games will provide a character for you and some will allow you to make one yourself (its often good to have a pre-generated character for your first foray into RPGing... our goal is to keep it simple).

The games will take several months to run online - but only require a posting frequency of once/day (i.e. check in once a day to see if you have any actions or roleplay to add). These are short games, by RPG standards, but long enough that you can invest in your character, give them some direction and build a world for them to thrive in. We ask that anyone signing up be committed to the time-frame. When one player stops posting, it downgrades the fun for all involved (and the Game Master can, under truly dire circumstances, replace out a player to keep the game moving).

I hope people will take advantage of this opportunity. RPGs are some of the most creative ways to spend your time. If games like Mountains of Madness gave you a taste of Roleplaying, these games will be much more interactive, intense and generally contain more roleplaying elements for you to enjoy. Each game can only accommodate a handful of players and when it fills, it closes. Last year we filled up in just a couple of days. Don't wait to sign up!

If you have questions or comments about this initiative please feel free to post below. If you have questions about a specific game and your ability to join, please go to the geeklist and post a comment to the game in question. The Game Masters are all standing by to help!

May all your hits be crits... I look forward to seeing some of you on the other side!

Note: If you miss this initiative, our normal Play By Forum activity takes place here: http://rpggeek.com/forum/379243/rpg/play-by-forum
Just subscribe to that forum as any posts in that forum are for recruitment... when a game has recruited they go off and play the game in the sub-PBF areas for the given game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're interested in seeing a small cross-sampling of some of the PbF games you can check out these threads:

Pathfinder Society Play - Blakros Matrimony
Dungeon World - Castle Caldwell and Beynd
AD&D 1st Edition - The Beacon at Enon Tor
Fiasco - Home Invasion

Oh! And I almost forgot to mention that we've got a microbadge for everyone that participates mb

Also, feel free to listen to a new podcast whose first episode is all about play by forum. Play On Target, the Unofficial Official RPGGeek podcast!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
'BRRING! BRRING! BRRING! CLICK! Yeees! It's the Bucket Mouse! Thanks for calling! …Well… CLICK!' ??? … You must have dialed a wrong number…
badge
Er…Uh…Hmm…How to say… Please call… Outside… …
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been waiting for this and am ready to jump in! Lots of great choices for a variety of interests; it was hard to settle on just one! Still, best not to bite off more than I can chew at this point. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adelė B.
Lithuania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Well, that's sounds very interesting, but I haven't played any RPG in my life and can't imagine how all of this is going to be.

For example, if I join one of the games, would I need to read game rules? Or I would get all necessary information from GM?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deviser wrote:
Well, that's sounds very interesting, but I haven't played any RPG in my life and can't imagine how all of this is going to be.

For example, if I join one of the games, would I need to read game rules? Or I would get all necessary information from GM?

You will not need to own or read rules (well, beyond some quick start material your GM may have). Your GM will get you up to speed - just as someone can teach you a board game "at the table" our Game Masters will do the same.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
United States
Slippery Rock
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all.. Awesome thing you (wavemotion) and all the GM's (too numerous to list) are doing with this btw! I'll be eagerly awaiting to finally start my foray into PbF!

Now... I've got a question about the Italic line after the two rules on 2013 RPG Geek Newbie Play-by-Forum Sign-up:

wavemotion wrote:
d10-1 These special newbie-friendly games are open to anyone who has not played in an RPG Geek Play-by-Forum before.
d10-2 Each new player is allowed to join only one game. We filled up so quickly last year - please only take one seat at the 'virtual table'.

"Both of these rules can be ignored starting Noontime, EST, Tuesday 8-Jan-2013. This gives 2 full days for those who have never played an RPG Geek PbF game to get in first."

Should I assume that we newbies are allowed to sign up for a second or more adventure once the two days has passed?

Just asking because I had more than one adventure that I was choosing between, and I'm sure that there will be more newbies who had the same hard choice. And if we are allowed to ignore the second rule completely after the two days has passed, then I'm going to try and sign up for at least a second PbF. If there is still any spots open that is.

If us newbies (or anyone for that matter) still aren't allowed to join more than our single adventure, it might be a good idea to update the header/info part so there won't be any confusion. Just sayin'...

And to repeat myself... This is just awesome! No matter how many/few we are allowed to sign up for! Thanks!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Now... I've got a question about the Italic line after the two rules on 2013 RPG Geek Newbie Play-by-Forum Sign-up:

wavemotion wrote:
d10-1 These special newbie-friendly games are open to anyone who has not played in an RPG Geek Play-by-Forum before.
d10-2 Each new player is allowed to join only one game. We filled up so quickly last year - please only take one seat at the 'virtual table'.

"Both of these rules can be ignored starting Noontime, EST, Tuesday 8-Jan-2013. This gives 2 full days for those who have never played an RPG Geek PbF game to get in first."

Should I assume that we newbies are allowed to sign up for a second or more adventure once the two days has passed?

Yes. Starting Noontime EST on 8-Jan-2013 you may sign up for a 2nd or 3rd game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've filled over 30 slots in just over 2 hours!

Don't forget, there are two full pages of geeklist items - most of the action seems to be on the front page but there was no rhyme or reason to how these were listed so be sure to check out both pages of offerings.

And don't be afraid to be the first to sign up for a game - others will follow and all slots will fill. They always do. Great award-winning games like Lady Blackbird (RPG Geek 2010 Golden Geek winner) and Apocalypse World (RPG Geek 2011 Golden Geek winner) and Dungeon World (RPG Geek 2012 Golden Geek winner) are not to be missed!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fun Guy
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just signed up, excited for this. First time player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We've got 4 tables full and a 5th about to fill. And plenty of totally new to RPG folks and some folks brand new to the site! That's great - plenty of seats left at the 'virtual table'.

Don't miss your opportunity to enjoy some old school AD&D (1st and 2nd) gaming. I'm shocked the ever-popular Pathfinder We Be Goblins! have no bites. But players are still lining up so they will all fill.

If we get to Tuesday, Noontime EST, we're opening up any remaining slots to PbF veterans and allowing new players to take a 2nd seat on another game. But for 2 days, sign-ups are exclusive to new RPG Geek Play-by-Forum players!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew what I was going to play going in, but I must say there were a large number of other games that piqued my interest, especially the Steampunk ones. There's pretty much every type of RPG available, so come on in before they all fill up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a new first time player. but I just missed the last chair for Fiasco. Keeping my eyes open for another one (or that someone drops before it starts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MelodramaBabs wrote:
I'll be a new first time player. but I just missed the last chair for Fiasco. Keeping my eyes open for another one (or that someone drops before it starts)

That does happen, and people have snuck onto games that were just missed. Hold tight!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have infiltrated your initiative !! muhahaHA !! You fools !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:

That'll require a DC 17 stealth check...go!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Corrina
United States
Unspecified
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
lupine wrote:

(is dice rolling enabled? I guess I should learn what the html codes are?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lupine wrote:
Wired_Wolf wrote:
lupine wrote:

(is dice rolling enabled? I guess I should learn what the html codes are?)

They are enabled. Stealth Check DC17 1d20+4 = (14) + 4 = 18 See our RPG Geek User Guide for help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 237904. wavemotion
  • 1d20+4 =
  • (14) + 4 =
  • Stealth Check DC17
  • Mon Jan 7, 2013 3:36 am
Nathalie
Canada
Calgary, AB /
Dieppe, NB
flag msg tools
“A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for.” ― William G.T. Shedd
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
MelodramaBabs wrote:

That does happen, and people have snuck onto games that were just missed. Hold tight!

Yay! Gave up my spot on the Fiasco bench for a spot in Lady Blackbird.
now... if only others would sign up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bifford the Youngest (Sam)
England
Melksham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
Bifford the Youngest @ www.byfordphotos.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MelodramaBabs wrote:

Yay! Gave up my spot on the Fiasco bench for a spot in Lady Blackbird.
now... if only others would sign up.

Welcome!!! Huzzah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vladimir Lehotai
Slovakia
Piešťany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luckily, I've managed to snatch a spot for myself. Let the adventure begin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Bradley
Australia
Belconnen
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As much as I would love to get a chance to jump into some of the games, I really hope that they fill before Noontime, EST, Tuesday 8-Jan-2013 - that would mean that there are a lot more people getting into RPGG PbFs, which is a great thing for RPGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On rough count, we're now past filling half the available seats! That's great - though a few games have no takers yet. Games like AD&D and Tunnels & Trolls are staples of the hobby and are being run by some of our most talented and venerable GMs. Player's don't know what they are missing! The hardest one to fill will be the Piledrivers & Powerbombs run by one amazing Josh Bazin. Josh took a chance on a very unique theme and part of the fun of Role-Playing is having fun with the limits of your imagination.

Still time, however, jump in!

If you're not sure what kind of game would be best for you, feel free to ask for advice (and let us know what boardgames or video games you enjoy so we can maybe help steer you).

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Savage Josh
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Player's don't know what they are missing! The hardest one to fill will be the Piledrivers & Powerbombs run by one amazing Josh Bazin. Josh took a chance on a very unique theme and part of the fun of Role-Playing is having fun with the limits of your imagination.

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

He's absolutely right. I put something quite a bit different up in Piledrivers and Powerbombs, but I think it could be lots of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moskop
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok you sold me. I haven't roleplayed since college and I know I am uber rusty, but this sounds like a lot of fun. Plus, the fact that someone is running a wrestling RPG just locks it for me. I have to try that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad Mouse Guard has filled so quickly...

Anyway - great initiative! Thanks for making this possible!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.