Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mike m
United States
Palisades Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats on a great initiative! This is really a fantastic idea and what better way to promote the games you love. I feel very lucky to have found this program you are running here.

I haven't played rpg in > 20 years, and it'll be great to see how it's evolved since then. This might be just the thing to bring players like me back into the fold. I'm sure lots of people are like me - we didn't stop bec we didn't enjoy it, just lost our gaming group and never found another.

Thanks to all these DMs/GMs and experienced players volunteering their time and effort!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Bazin wrote:
wavemotion wrote:
Player's don't know what they are missing! The hardest one to fill will be the Piledrivers & Powerbombs run by one amazing Josh Bazin. Josh took a chance on a very unique theme and part of the fun of Role-Playing is having fun with the limits of your imagination.

Thanks for the kind words Dave!

He's absolutely right. I put something quite a bit different up in Piledrivers and Powerbombs, but I think it could be lots of fun!

As someone who joined this initiative last year, I would just like to say what a brilliant experience it has been (and still is...). I was lucky enough to get Josh as our GM (as well as some wonderful co-newbies) and he guided us through everything we needed to do.

If you're not sure if you'll like it, or feel a bit nervous about it, then that's no different to how I felt last year. I took a chance and am so very glad I did.

Josh set up an Out-Of Character (OOC) thread for giving instructions, character generation and general chat, and an In-Character (IC) thread for the actual gameplay, once we were ready.

If you want to see how our game pans out, then check out The Eye of Kilquato (this isn't being run this time, so there shouldn't be any spoilers)

Don't just think about it - sign up now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Bernazzani (@rpggeek)
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
If you're not sure if you'll like it, or feel a bit nervous about it, then that's no different to how I felt last year. I took a chance and am so very glad I did.

We've had some of our most active users in 2012 from the initative last year. As with any endeavor, some loved it, some liked it and some found it wasn't for them. But the commitment isn't over taxing and the games are purposely short (though as with any PbF it will take months) so even if you find it's not for you, you can at least say you tried!

One of the coolest things for this year is that several of the PbF newbies last year are now running their own games this year. That's some serious awesome!

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walker
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
proud member of: The Bearded
mbmbmbmbmb
as one who was a first timer last year, i was blown away by the fun and excitement!! i've made some fantastic friends out of this, and it has allowed me to be much more active and engaged with BGG!

even better, our group is still gaming. Si (our GM/DM) has been amazing.

(quick plug--- Si's running The Tomb of Horrors this year--the most famous DnD module of all time!! hurry and sign up!!!)

and Dave, this whole initiative has led to me leading a number of friends through a few modules and i've begun creating a unique world for them. as someone who hadn't played DnD in 20 years, i owe all of the credit to you, Si, and BGG!!

thank you, and i can't encourage anyone who is unsure to give this a shot. it's been absolutely amazing!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deane Beman
United States
Rochester
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly. Although no stranger to RPGs, I had never played in a PbF prior to last year's newbie initiative. My experience was so positive that I both play and run games here on RPGGeek and on two other sites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pinkham
United States
La Palma
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great idea, Dave. Thanks for putting in the work to get more people playing by forum.

I'm thrilled to see how many people are flocking to join games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Si
United Kingdom
Norwich
flag msg tools
For the love of all that is holy, will someone just ask her about the book?
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike - how kind of you. It's really nice to have made a difference.

By the way...
mikedub99 wrote:
and Dave, this whole initiative has led to me leading a number of friends through a few modules and i've begun creating a unique world for them. as someone who hadn't played DnD in 20 years, i owe all of the credit to you, Si, and BGG!! RPGG!!
...fixed that for you.

Do it again and Wiltar will be picking up a nasty communicable social disease next time he hits town, which you'll be obliged to roleplay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Walker
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
proud member of: The Bearded
mbmbmbmbmb
vosarnath wrote:
Mike - how kind of you. It's really nice to have made a difference.

By the way...
mikedub99 wrote:
and Dave, this whole initiative has led to me leading a number of friends through a few modules and i've begun creating a unique world for them. as someone who hadn't played DnD in 20 years, i owe all of the credit to you, Si, and BGG!! RPGG!!
...fixed that for you.

Do it again and Wiltar will be picking up a nasty communicable social disease next time he hits town, which you'll be obliged to roleplay.

thank you for fixing my misspelling there, Sir!!

but do keep in mind: Wiltar's been stuck with Lomloach, Lux and Donridge already. a communicable disease could be more than he could handle...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
vosarnath wrote:
By the way...
mikedub99 wrote:
...fixed that for you.

Si, that was the first thing I picked up on when I read his post. I almost said something. Hilarious!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I wish to provide legendary service to the RPG community to help grow our hobby and enrich the lives of gamers everywhere.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
28 hours in and here is where we stand:

Pathfinder: Hollow's last Hope - (wavemotion) - 4/4 places filled
Dresden Files: Night Fears - (lydon) - 5/5 places filled
Lady Blackbird (Game A) - (Bifford) - 5/5 places filled
Lady Blackbird (Game B) - (Bifford) - 0/5 places filled
Monster of the Week - (Againsto) - 2/4 places filled
Pathfinder: Forest of Karnath - (Military Muskrat) - 5/5 places filled
Iron Kingdoms: Spirit in Steel - (Kwakkie) - 3/4 places filled
Hollowpoint - (Vaklam) - 3/5 places filled
Pathfinder: We Be Goblins! (A) - (Dutys_Fist) - 2/5 places filled
Pathfinder: We Be Goblins! (B) - (Dutys_Fist) - 0/5 places filled
Pathfinder: We Be Goblins! (C) - (jatang) - 5/5 places filled
Pathfinder: In Service to Lore - (not2fear) - 5/5 places filled
Dungeon World: Firetop Mountain - (cleonhard) - 4/4 places filled
Call of Cthulhu: Finger Biter - (Barad_the_dwarf) - 2/5 places filled
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple (A) - (Kattvippa) - 4/4 places filled
Do: Pilgrims of the Flying Temple (B) - (Kattvippa) - 3/4 places filled
Cathulhu - (Red Wine Pie) - 1/6 places filled
Call of Cthulhu: Lonely House - (Red Wine Pie) - 4/6 places filled
Mouse Guard - (Wired_Wolf) - 4/4 places filled
Savage Worlds: Phantom Station - (Shadow Hexagram) - 1/5 places filled
Pathfinder: Sandpoint - (trox) - 5/5 places filled
Castle Falkenstein: Uncle Fenwick - (regency_rhi) - 5/5 places filled
Dark Heresy: Shattered Hop - (Stelio) - 4/5 places filled
Faery's Tale: The Crystal Unicorn - (anthropos95) - 1/5 places filled
Pathfinder: Corvallen's Standard - (Mulligans) - 5/5 places filled
Night's Black Agents: The Sinful Mile - (committed hero) - 1/6 places filled
Vikings and Valkyrs - (Laurence Gillespie) - 1/6 places filled
Fiasco - (Narl) - 4/4 places filled
AD&D meets Das Schwarze Auge - (Originaldibbler) - 3/4 places filled
Tunnels & Trolls: Brass Prison - (schkff) - 1/6 places filled
Warhammer 2nd ed: Pretty Things - (Wired_Wolf) - 4/4 places filled
Piledrivers & Powerbombs - (Bazin) - 1/5 places filled
Old School Hack: White Plume Mountain - (vestige) - 1/5 places filled
Lamentations of the Flame Princess - (Stone Dwarf) - 1/3 places filled
Apocalypse World - (Orklord) - 5/5 places filled
Dungeon World: Helm's Final Blessing - (landovers) - 1/5 places filled
Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Funnel - (lorddillon) - 2/5 places filled
Marvel Super Heroes: Day of the Octopus - (PocketAtomic) - 1/4 places filled
Pathfinder: Ambush in Absolom - (dbeman) - 0/5 places filled
D&D 4th ed: Keep on the Shadowfell - (Indramir) - 0/5 places filled
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (A) - (downeymb) - 4/4 places filled
Marvel Heroic Roleplaying (B) - (downeymb) - 4/4 places filled
Achtung! Cthulhu: Three Kings - (lydon) - 4/4 places filled
Pathfinder: homebrew adventure - (Brent Johnson) - 1/8 places filled
Pathfinder: Written in Blood - (MikeHadfield) - 6/6 places filled
AD&D: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh - (bulldog93) - 1/6 places filled
Hollow Earth Expedition - (trevlix) - 0/4 places filled
AD&D: Tomb of Horrors - (vosarnath) - 0/5 places filled

Many of those slots are being eyed by more experienced PbF players and so come noontime on Tuesday we're going to fill up fast. Don't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serious? Lee
United States
Coppell
Texas
flag msg tools
Lost in thought.
mbmbmbmbmb
TimothyP wrote:
This is such a great idea, Dave. Thanks for putting in the work to get more people playing by forum.

I'm thrilled to see how many people are flocking to join games.

Agreed, Timothy. I hope they all make it til the end, too, as it was such a shame to have our little adventure ([The Mustang] - In-character thread) end just as it reached its climax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What an absolutely amazing selection -- seriously spoiled for choice as a newbie to PbF RPGs. I had to go with lorddillon's DCC game, because what's not to like about playing a character with no skills, no training, and an extremely slim chance of survival?

Now I'm biding my time until tomorrow in the hopes that I can grab a spot on a second game, as well. (Is that ok, or am I being greedy?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
intrepideddie wrote:
Now I'm biding my time until tomorrow in the hopes that I can grab a spot on a second game, as well. (Is that ok, or am I being greedy?)

Not greedy at all. At noontime, EST, on Tuesday 8-Jan-2013 all games open up to everyone (PbF newbie or veteran alike) and you can take a seat at a 2nd or even a 3rd game. Two exclusive days is all we're promising for the new players!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Van Vorst
United States
Spencer
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd love a second spot (eyeballing that Hollow Earth one) but I'm thinking 1 will be enough for now, considering how very out of practice I am at this. whistle

Still...the Hollow Earth one looks like a heckuva lot of fun....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Maltry

Freeport
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm extremely excited about this I've actually been wanting to get into tabletop gaming and have never been able to find a group. That said I have tried to seek out a play by email or play by skype or forum..And sadly never knew it existed so close by.

Thanks for putting this up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
On rough count, we're now past filling half the available seats! That's great - though a few games have no takers yet. Games like AD&D and Tunnels & Trolls are staples of the hobby and are being run by some of our most talented and venerable GMs. Player's don't know what they are missing! The hardest one to fill will be the Piledrivers & Powerbombs run by one amazing Josh Bazin. Josh took a chance on a very unique theme and part of the fun of Role-Playing is having fun with the limits of your imagination.

Still time, however, jump in!

If you're not sure what kind of game would be best for you, feel free to ask for advice (and let us know what boardgames or video games you enjoy so we can maybe help steer you).

Dave
Hi Dave, I really want to do a RPG PBF, but man, there is so much choice that I don't know what to choose! Any idea? I'll go with what you guys suggest!

Thx in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Grelis
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Geekmail me if you are interested.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like so much fun, but I want a seat at every table as they all look so interesting. I'm sure I can handle it, I've got energy drinks, I'll sleep in May... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
It's like armour. But awesomer.
badge
MIND BLAST! **ZAP**
mbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
Hi Dave, I really want to do a RPG PBF, but man, there is so much choice that I don't know what to choose! Any idea? I'll go with what you guys suggest!

Thx in advance!

Pierre-Luc, what kind of stuff do you like? There are still some great old-school D&D tables that haven't filled up, some newer style games too. Are you into fantasy, sci-fi?

You have a bunch of Lord of the Rings boardgames highly rated in your collection - maybe fantasy?

Vestige is running my favourite adventure from D&D as an Old School Hack game. Maybe take a read of that one?

Also, Tomb of Horrors is a classic adventure that you will see that some of the old timers are clamoring to get in on - I will be playing in that one to help Si out - read that one too!

Edit - Vestige's game here
Edit - vosarnath / Si's game here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
I really want to do a RPG PBF, but man, there is so much choice that I don't know what to choose! Any idea? I'll go with what you guys suggest!

In addition to what Mark said above, I'd go on to say that any of these games has the potential to be a real blast with the group you're in. Just as with boardgames: it matters what you play but it matters more that you play. These are some of our finest GMs and a stranger at the game table may be a friend you haven't met yet.

More practically, if you enjoy games like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game you won't go wrong with the Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition) game as the mechanics are similar but it's far more wide open as a real RPG. My personal favorite game is the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game - it's a modern evolution of all the core RPG gaming concepts from the past 40 years - any of those Pathfinder Society scenarios would be great. If you're looking for a fresh modern take on traditional roleplaying, Dungeon World is gaining ground as the new "favorite" kid on the block over on RPG Geek.

If you're looking for something with high adventure but maybe a bit lighter? Savage Worlds is ever popular and gives a lot of role-playing opportunities but with reasonably light mechanics. Interested in Super heroes? Marvel Heroic Roleplaying represents one of the newest in the genre while Marvel Super Heroes represents one of the oldest.

Pick anything. Jump in. The only mistake is not playing!

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:
I really want to do a RPG PBF, but man, there is so much choice that I don't know what to choose! Any idea? I'll go with what you guys suggest!

In addition to what Mark said above, I'd go on to say that any of these games has the potential to be a real blast with the group you're in. Just as with boardgames: it matters what you play but it matters more that you play. These are some of our finest GMs and a stranger at the game table may be a friend you haven't met yet.

More practically, if you enjoy games like Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game or Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game you won't go wrong with the Dungeons & Dragons (4th Edition) game as the mechanics are similar but it's far more wide open as a real RPG. My personal favorite game is the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game - it's a modern evolution of all the core RPG gaming concepts from the past 40 years - any of those Pathfinder Society scenarios would be great. If you're looking for a fresh modern take on traditional roleplaying, Dungeon World is gaining ground as the new "favorite" kid on the block over on RPG Geek.

If you're looking for something with high adventure but maybe a bit lighter? Savage Worlds is ever popular and gives a lot of role-playing opportunities but with reasonably light mechanics. Interested in Super heroes? Marvel Heroic Roleplaying represents one of the newest in the genre while Marvel Super Heroes represents one of the oldest.

Pick anything. Jump in. The only mistake is not playing!

Dave
First of all, thx for you answer (and thx to Mark too!).

Pathfinder looks great, but I was checking the geeklist and there is still alot of Pathfinder scenario available. Can you suggest me one more suitable for a beginner!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
Pathfinder looks great, but I was checking the geeklist and there is still alot of Pathfinder scenario available. Can you suggest me one more suitable for a beginner!

Honest - the goal on these was to make them very beginner friendly. I think some are a little friendlier than others. For example, S1: Tomb of Horrors is not for the timid. But our goal is to make sure people get up to speed. But if you want to limit your exposure to mechanics (the dice and rules that drive the game) and concentrate more on what your character actually does... pick any of the games that are not Pathfinder or D&D and I'm guessing you'll get a good experience with a minimum of number crunching. Honest. Draw one out of a hat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
StealthDonut wrote:
I'd love a second spot (eyeballing that Hollow Earth one) but I'm thinking 1 will be enough for now, considering how very out of practice I am at this. whistle

Still...the Hollow Earth one looks like a heckuva lot of fun....

These are for newbies (or those who haven't RPGed in ages). If it sounds interesting, go for it! The GMs are here to help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Other Steve
United States
Altadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:

I think I'm reading your answer here differently than Dave, that you are asking how to choose amongst the Pathfinder games? I think there are three still open: Ambush at Absalom, Brent's homebrew, and We Be Goblins. Honestly, all three are aimed at beginners, so you can't go wrong.

Absalom will give you a quick intro to the default world of Pathfinder (every RPG has a setting, like Middle-Earth, but they are built such that you don't need to use the default setting).

Brent's sounds very focused on beginners, which may be up your alley.

And We Be Goblins...well, you play the bad guys instead of the good guys!

I've played games will all three of these folks and they are all great, fun role-players and very knowledgeable - just go with the one that's most appealing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonna Hind
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
admin
designer
“Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” ― Lewis Carroll
badge
"Plunge boldly into the thick of life, and seize it where you will, it is always interesting." ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mbmbmbmbmb
wavemotion wrote:
freduk wrote:

We've had some of our most active users in 2012 from the initative last year. As with any endeavor, some loved it, some liked it and some found it wasn't for them. But the commitment isn't over taxing and the games are purposely short (though as with any PbF it will take months) so even if you find it's not for you, you can at least say you tried!

One of the coolest things for this year is that several of the PbF newbies last year are now running their own games this year. That's some serious awesome!

-Dave

*Waves to everyone*

So, last year at this time I was looking at the games offered. I had never played RPGs in any form and had only very vague idea about what it is all about. I jumped in the same game freduk here posted about. And felt so nervous I almost jumped right back out! I'm so happy I did stay in it though, we've been having a blast!

So, I highly recommend to just jumping in if you're interested, don't think too much. All the GMs here are very friendly and are here to help you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vestige wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:

I think I'm reading your answer here differently than Dave, that you are asking how to choose amongst the Pathfinder games? I think there are three still open: Ambush at Absalom, Brent's homebrew, and We Be Goblins. Honestly, all three are aimed at beginners, so you can't go wrong.

Absalom will give you a quick intro to the default world of Pathfinder (every RPG has a setting, like Middle-Earth, but they are built such that you don't need to use the default setting).

Brent's sounds very focused on beginners, which may be up your alley.

And We Be Goblins...well, you play the bad guys instead of the good guys!

I've played games will all three of these folks and they are all great, fun role-players and very knowledgeable - just go with the one that's most appealing!
Thx for all of your advices.

I went for H1: Keep on the Shadowfell instead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.