Subject: Geek of the Week #382 - Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith (Pelvidar) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney, to this very well deserved honor!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haven
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice! Rodney's videos have been very helpful in instructing new players in my group as well as determining some extra game purchases.baconthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney! I am a fan since almost the beginning and I love your show. Watching a game being played is really giving the best insight if a game is something I would like or not. I hope you keep on running the show for a long time!

My 10 questions (sorry for my English grammar errors):
1. If there was no limit to your success and sponsors, what would your ultimate WiP show look like? What kind of things would you add to your show?
2. Did you ever create your own board game? If yes, what was it like? If no, what kind of game would you like to create if you had to think of one?
3. Question for your wife number 1: How is your wife feeling about you becoming an internet celebrity?
4. Question for your wife number 2: Are you off camera as friendly and nice as you are on camera?
5. What is the worst "real" board game you ever played?
6. Did you study? If yes, what did you do? If no, what did you do before WiP?
7. Can you see your love for board games somehow originate from your parents?
8. What are the things you really want to do before you die?
9. If you had to chose a completely different career, what would you choose?
10. What are you most proud of (except your family and hosting WiP)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Schindler
Germany
Bochum
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats from Germany.
I love your video series too.
Mostly because you and your family are very nice guys.
but also the selection of games hits my personal taste.

keep on doing such a good job. i stay tuned!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Steve! sorry! Rodney

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cara Moses
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A well deserved congratulations!

Your Lord of the Rings LCG video was a great help. Keep up the good work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Matchstickman wrote:
Question, what has been the Watchitplayed game that you have most enjoyed playing? Why?

When making the videos do you prefer ones where you are a GM/adversary, like Mansions of Madness and Super Dungeon Explore, or do you prefer ones where we (the viewers and you) are all on the same side, like Zombicide or Space Hulk?

EDIT: I just finished watching the video. Aw man, I wondered why all those wardrobe changes until you hit the Tom Vassal one, and then it clicked. Kudos to you!

Answer 1: I think about this sometimes, and I don't have a definite answer. A lot of the games have felt different enough to me that I've been able to enjoy different things about them, but I have to say, one of my favourite games to take on was the Lord of the Rings card game.

That game sat unplayed on my shelf for awhile. I was intimidated by the rules. I had listened to podcasters suggest that the rules weren't the clearest and it led to some mistaken plays, etc. When I finally did play it, after conquering the rulebook, I found myself really enjoying it and really wanted to see if I could translate a card game like this to a semi-interesting play through.

I also hoped I could help other people who might have found the initial learning curve on the game discouraging. I was really happy with how it turned out. And it was my first solo effort without the kids.

Zombie Spearmen FTW.

Answer 2: Honestly, I just enjoy the variety. So that could mean I'm really looking forward to something adversarial after a co-op game, or a card game after a board game, etc.

EDIT Response: lol, glad you caught it. I was concerned some would be confused by it, or not know what I was doing, but I did not want these to come off as satirical, as they were meant as homages.

Thanks for the questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rocknec wrote:
Congratulations Rodney! I've seen every video you've made, and they have really helped me dive into the gaming hobby.

My question for you: How many times do you think you've played through Arkham Horror, and have you ever played with expansions? If so, which expansion is your favorite?

Hey Chris! I've certainly had a number of started and "not finished" games. Either because we needed to reclaim the table, or because things were looking dire enough that we decided to pack it in. But fully completed games... probably 8-10 games. So not a lot of full play throughs really, but the game kickstarted me back into the hobby, which was it's greatest contribution to my gamer development. I never picked up any expansions because I hadn't tired of the base game. Kind of getting a hankering to play it, just talking about it...

The games length and tablespace requirements make it a harder one to play more often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hecubus667 wrote:
Congratulations Rodney!! Love your show.

Do you think you will ever rate a game higher or lower than 8 on BGG?

What do you think about doing a one time game play show with The Secret Cabal in the style of Table Top?

Ah yes, my 8 scores .

For the longest time I didn't rate any games... going hand in hand with my aversion to influencing gamers with my opinions. David Sirlin actually got me thinking about changing my opinion about it. I doubt he intended for me to go with my fixed rating system, but I still attribute putting up any ratings at all, to him.

Basically, I concluded that I would be happy to know that my enjoyment of certain games made up the final rating of the game on BGG, so I resolved to use a system that works like this: If I own a game and haven't played it yet, it has no rating in my collection. If I've played a game and like it, it gets an 8. If I've played a game and don't like it, I take it off my list.

This likely flies a bit in the face of how the ratings are supposed to work overall, but I doubt anyone else rates games like this, so I'm optimistic my influence is not skewing any games too badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marek M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations!

Great show.

Enjoy your GotW...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney... Well Played.. Sorry could not resist.

First off I have to say Thank you. One day I walked into our local came store and bought a game called Mansions of Madness. It was our first BIG Rules game. The rules were very intimidating. Your series made it possible for my family ( 6 of us total ) to sit down and play this game. Been watching ever since. Because of the ease of play you put forth we have grown our library of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Rodney!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naiveté?

1) Beauty. I mean Truth! That's the right answer, right?

2) The doctor performing my vasectomy: Precision. The other guy taking his turn during a board game: Speed.

3) Proportionate justice.

4) I used to be more steadfast, now I tend to fall into the flexible category... however, since I was able to make that transition, does that mean I was truly always flexible?... I'm not sleeping tonight now. Thanks!

5) Neither. Optimist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sink
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
COYS!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney!!!

You and your series are responsible for about 95% of the reason I am apart of this amazing hobby!

Over a year a go I was searching for a Christmas present for my father. I found "A Game of Thrones Board Game" by sheer dumb luck. That led me to Fantasy Flight and then to Mansions of Madness. I was looking around for information and videos about the game and found your video series. The rest , as they say, is history. I have been following your series ever since.

My one question is--Have you ever played a musical instrument?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoopyChickenfanny wrote:
Congrats Rodney:

What non game related book are you currently reading?

I am currently stalled in at about a third of the way through the second Game of Thrones book. However I just wrapped up the excellent "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie on audio book (credit to the D6Generation for sparking my interest) and I'm almost through the first Dresden audio book (credit to Cody and John's podcast for that one).

I'm most excited to venture back through one of my old favourites from when I was a kid, which my wife gifted me this Christmas: The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov. It's a beautiful hardcover version, with gold edged pages and the nice fabric bookmark. One of the nicest editions I've ever seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
LoopyChickenfanny wrote:
Congrats Rodney:

What non game related book are you currently reading?

I am currently stalled in at about a third of the way through the second Game of Thrones book. However I just wrapped up the excellent "The Blade Itself" by Joe Abercrombie on audio book (credit to the D6Generation for sparking my interest) and I'm almost through the first Dresden audio book (credit to Cody and John's podcast for that one).

I'm most excited to venture back through one of my old favourites from when I was a kid, which my wife gifted me this Christmas: The Foundation Trilogy, by Isaac Asimov. It's a beautiful hardcover version, with gold edged pages and the nice fabric bookmark. One of the nicest editions I've ever seen.
Quit reading The Game of Thrones books and play The Game of Thrones the Board game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

Wow. She's a keeper! (Clearly. )

I still have the dusty old copies my dad gave me. Maybe time to re-read them..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
merc007 wrote:
I hope you were able to pick up all the Jaipur tokens
I had a few questions
* What game would you like to buy next?
* If you had a board gaming motto, what would it be?
* Have you ever been to Australia or Japan?
* Where in the world is Wally? I seemed to have lost him

I'm not kidding when I say this: I dropped them early on Saturday... and I'm still finding those tokens! I "think" I have them all now, but I'm not 100% sure.

* I'm very tempted by Rivet Wars, because I think the miniatures would appeal to Luke and might be fun as his first "painting" lesson with Dad... but that's a Kickstarter and a long ways off. So, if I could buy something right now, it would either be 1812: The Invasion of Canada (because I'm looking to dip a toe back into wargaming), or War of the Ring (I know nothing about the gameplay, but I love the theme, the minis and the idea of an EPIC game for just two players). Also, I notice I'm doing a terrible job of providing a single answer for these single minded questions.

* I like the idea of helping "non-gamers to game and gamers to game more". Keeping in mind I don't think everyone should be a gamer, but those who would be, if they had a chance to be exposed to it... those are the ones I mean.

* I've never been to Australia or Japan, however, we had a Japanese exchange student visit with us during our very first series of Watch It Played (before it was Watch It Played), and Andrea is saving up to go to Japan this Summer on a similar exchange. I would love to visit Australia, I've made some long distant gamer friends over there!

* I checked all over Montague. If he's here, he's being very crafty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Hasson
United Kingdom
Derry
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Top choice for geek of the week. Sorry I missed the live Zombicide play through unfortunately other duties called.
Last Christmas my wife bought me A Game of Thrones the board game and while looking on You Tube for a play through of the game I came across a play through of another game (Mansions of Madness) that caught my eye. That was it for me, I had found Rodney and his videos and I've been hooked ever since. I've seen all the victories, all the losses and all the errors and Rodney's corrections (probably the best part). So here's to Rodney and the gang Luke and Andrea. Go Geeks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm taking a quick break from answering questions to help Andrea with a little musical video project she's working on, and then I'm off to play Alien Frontiers with my pal Pep, seen in our GenCon video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2TavvnDn3U

It's a bit self indulgent for the first 11 minutes, but then it's all GenCon 2012 stuff after that.

Pep got Alien Frontiers for Christmas, and a good gamer friend doesn't let his friends Christmas games go unplayed! Especially since I bought him the expansion to go along with it!

I am having a blast with GOTW. And it's only Monday. You guys rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludovic Roy
Canada
Gatineau
Québec
flag msg tools
27 World Series titles and counting!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney, enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Krause
United States
Dayton-ish
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney --You have forever made your mark in GEEKDOM! Way to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Örtman
Sweden
Malmö
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Rodney!

1) Truth or beauty?
2) Speed or precision?
3) Justice or mercy?
4) Steadfast or flexible?
5) Cynicism or naiveté?

1) Beauty. I mean Truth! That's the right answer, right?

2) The doctor performing my vasectomy: Precision. The other guy taking his turn during a board game: Speed.

3) Proportionate justice.

4) I used to be more steadfast, now I tend to fall into the flexible category... however, since I was able to make that transition, does that mean I was truly always flexible?... I'm not sleeping tonight now. Thanks!

5) Neither. Optimist.

Such great answers. I laughed so hard reading the first two, and then, three brilliant ones in a row! Kudos man! And some questions.

1. Do you have a lot of different people to play with or is it mostly family or closed group activity for you?

2. You're always quick to answer any posts, at Youtube, Facebook, here at BGG, at least I've perceived it this way. How on earth do you find the time? Or am I overrating the frequency of attention you're getting?

3. What do you do for a living?

4. Ever been to Essen or other Game expos or conventions?

Well! Keep up the good work! Peace!

Edit. And now I watched your biography video.. Did the same mistake with Joel last week. Well, I'll make you answer the questions anyway, that's how nice a guy I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Bishop
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney! Totally deserved!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rodney! I responded earlier when I was at work and now finally got to watch your video. It really got me thinking about my own gaming history which was fun. I was glad to see Diplomacy on your shelf. It was the first game I played that was more than the standard children's games and Risk. We played it as a part of learning about WWI in history. The class broke up into the different countries and we tried to submit moves as a group and negotiate with other countries(groups).

Anyway, thanks for sharing and thanks for helping me think about my own gaming!

P.S. I too noticed what you were doing once you got to your Dice Tower homage. And yes, it came off that way and not satirical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.