Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:

* I'm very tempted by Rivet Wars, because I think the miniatures would appeal to Luke and might be fun as his first "painting" lesson with Dad... but that's a Kickstarter and a long ways off. So, if I could buy something right now, it would either be 1812: The Invasion of Canada (because I'm looking to dip a toe back into wargaming), or War of the Ring (I know nothing about the gameplay, but I love the theme, the minis and the idea of an EPIC game for just two players). Also, I notice I'm doing a terrible job of providing a single answer for these single minded questions.

rodney, congratulations on your well deserved "award".

you should definitely buy war of the ring, and then feature it on 'watch it played' for all to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake K
United States
Richmond
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey I've know this guy from YouTube, (like many of you) I subbed his channel.

The Lord of the Rings living card game was the 1st video series I watched of yours, although it convinced me it was too complex for me to play with my friends & family.

You featured a quote of mine during your Mavel Legendary playthrough! Thanks for that again.

(Btw, I also see what you mean now about how this site may seem daunting to new users).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Stanfill
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Ok, Sleeve or not to sleeve? Bag or no bag? Keep insert or chuck insert?
- Game storage. Being that I'm running out of space because of all the new games I've gotten this year (nowhere close to your acquisitions, though) what are your storage solutions? The Ikea shelves aren't cutting it.
- What's a must-see attraction on PEI?
- What is on your pizza?
- Premiere? Vegas? Avid?

That's all I got for now. And I have not forgotten that beatdown of my Carcassonne Elo you so graciously applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
G'day Rodney,

I try to remember to ask each Geek of the Week these gaming related questions, so to start with here's the ever so slightly modified GeekSpeak Hook questions for you:
Favourite game(s) for d10-1 player (optional, many non-wargamers wouldn't have an answer for this)
Favourite game(s) for d10-2 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-3 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-4 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-5 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-6 players
Favourite game(s) for d10-7 or more players (and you may choose a Party Game here although I wouldn't meeple )

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

Space ships
Witches
Trains
Transport (may include trains)
Workers (paid or otherwise)
Trading
Building
Pink
Theme
Ships
Money
Purple
Government
Vampires
Infrastructure
Dice
Dinosaurs
Gemstones
Dragons
Beer
Wands

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

thumbsup Congrats Rodney!
Quote:
"...and also spat dope lyrics under the pseudonym, Poppa J"

I so hope this is true!
laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Louie
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
davidlhsl wrote:
My question: I know you attempted to learn Mage Knight: the Board Game. How did that turn out?

The game devoured my table, and I was able to keep it out long enough to play through a few turns of the starter game. I even went so far as to buy a nice folding table for it in my basement... but then that got taken over by Dust Warfare.

I liked everything I saw in the game, well, aside from the complexity, which could be a barrier of entry for some. I think the designer is some kind of mad genius. He may be my favourite, just for trying so many different kinds of games, and really being creative and interesting each time.

I hope to get to Mage Knight again. I like the idea of a crunchy, complex fantasy game that I can play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
Well deserved! My question is gigantic, huge, and cosmically impactful...

Have you ever played the New Kids on the Block board game, and if so, are you a fan of Jordan?

In all seriousness, congrats!

In Junior High I recorded a Math music video set to No More Games by The New Kids on the Block.

"Here's some math boy
So what you saying
Solve the equation
Cuz Rodney ain't playin"

*sigh*

So yeah. I would play a New Kids game... but I would be Donnie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:
Congratas.

Happy new year and my regular questions:

1.- Favourite game in my collection.
2.- Least favourite one.
3.- Have you ever been in Spain or The Netherlands?
4.- Blondes, brunetes or redheads?
5.- Can you recomend me a game?

Enjoy your week pal.

1. Game of Thrones, Second Edition is certainly up there. I like a lot of things about that game. But it's not my favourite game for every occasion, if you know what I mean.

2. Skip-Bo. Gah. Can't stand that game!!

3. I have not been to either Spain or the Netherlands. I have yet to cross an ocean. I would certainly like to (and my wife would like me to take her with me).

5. You seem to like questions... how about Wits and Wagers?

I feel like I missed a question there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottder wrote:
Here is my question, I know you're not into reviewing games so much. What game did you look forward to quite a bit, but were in the end disappointed with?

Scott

Tales of Arabian Nights. I watched a lot of reviews for this one. Read a lot, and then paid quite a bit extra to attain it. However, when I broke it out to play, it did not match my expectations. Not by a long shot. BUT, I have not given up on the game. I still think there is a lot there to like... I think I just need to try it with a different group, and possibly a smaller group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrifterAlpha wrote:
Congratulations! You definitely deserve this accolade. Your videos are instructive, but most of all a lot of fun to watch. They really manage to capture the spirit of what this hobby is all about.
And we should extend this honour to both Andrea and Luke for being such great co-hosts and to your wife for being so supportive. Keep up the good work!

So true Mark. The kids are my great gamer co-hosts - I certainly share this with them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Eddy
United States
Coeur d'Alene
ID
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Toxziq wrote:
Well deserved! My question is gigantic, huge, and cosmically impactful...

Have you ever played the New Kids on the Block board game, and if so, are you a fan of Jordan?

In all seriousness, congrats!

In Junior High I recorded a Math music video set to No More Games by The New Kids on the Block.

"Here's some math boy
So what you saying
Solve the equation
Cuz Rodney ain't playin"

*sigh*

So yeah. I would play a New Kids game... but I would be Donnie...

What the?!?!? Where do I go to rescind my nomination!!! devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bow B4 Zod wrote:
As a Canadian (and as an old 'Ambush' fan), would you consider playing the new 'Up front" when it is released later this year?
Not sure whether suitable for Luke though...but I think so!

lol, I think Id'd try just about anything once, and it's especially hard to say no to a game that has a strong following and just wrapped a successful Kickstarter.

A war game with cards? Sure. I'd try it!

Would it work for the show? I'd have to see what Luke and I thought of it I see Joe Steadman has a video review and his son is at the table with him. Might have to check that out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Reaves
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'm almost through the first Dresden audio book (credit to Cody and John's podcast for that one).

Dresden Files takes a slight quality dive in book two, but I encourage you to stick with it. Book three is when the metaplot really takes off, and it's golden all the way from there.

Questions:

1) Do you have a favorite designer? You mentioned Vlaada Chvatil in passing earlier when discussing Mage Knight.
2) What are three games that you'd play regularly if you had a gaming group of, say, five players?
3) For Andrea: Have you had any luck introducing your classmates/peers to gaming? Do they even know of your forays into designer board gaming?

You certainly deserved this honor. Keep up with all that you do!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
My 10 questions (sorry for my English grammar errors):
1. If there was no limit to your success and sponsors, what would your ultimate WiP show look like? What kind of things would you add to your show?
2. Did you ever create your own board game? If yes, what was it like? If no, what kind of game would you like to create if you had to think of one?
3. Question for your wife number 1: How is your wife feeling about you becoming an internet celebrity?
4. Question for your wife number 2: Are you off camera as friendly and nice as you are on camera?
5. What is the worst "real" board game you ever played?
6. Did you study? If yes, what did you do? If no, what did you do before WiP?
7. Can you see your love for board games somehow originate from your parents?
8. What are the things you really want to do before you die?
9. If you had to chose a completely different career, what would you choose?
10. What are you most proud of (except your family and hosting WiP)?

10 Questions... Bernard isn't messing around!

1) I think the main thing is that the format should remain unchanged. Teaching a game and then playing it to tie all the rules together feels right to me. So the main thing money adds to that equation is the assurance that I can keep giving the time to the show. If there was money beyond that... Tabletop money, let's say, then first thing I'd do is write Chaz a big old cheque for all his awesome music and sound effects that he has done for our show. He never asks for anything, and although I try to send some of the fundraiser money his way, he's basically doing this stuff for free. Beyond that I would just want to be able to enhance the look of the show for the viewers. Better equipment, lights, a set and extra help. I don't want a lot of fancy graphics flying all over the screen or anything, or a busy and distracting background. Functional and comfortable, with as crisp a picture and as good a sound as we could provide.

2) I created a card game called Costanza from a regular deck of playing cards that me and my work buddies played every break and lunch for several years. I guess we liked it. Maybe I'll release the rules here as part of Geek of the Week. Believe me, it's nothing worth holding your breath over

3) Rats... I should have read ahead. My wife is in bed right now... Christy has been incredibly supportive. As long as I can find a way to do this that isn't hurting our family financially, she's happy to see what I can do with another year. Neither of us really know where this is going, but as I've always said, if I had to end this tomorrow, how could I ever feel regret? But we won't end before we do Arkham Horror.

4) Believe me, I'm very human I ground my kids, I argue about stupid married stuff and I have all kinds of personal failings, but I strive to be the best person I know how, like most of us do. I'd like to think if you met me at convention you'd find me very approachable. Hope you get a chance to test that sometime!

5) Forgive my evasion of this.

6) I did! I graduated from Saint Mary's University with a Bachelors in Business and a double major in Finance and Computers. Then I went on to get a government job and not really use either of those studies (aside from helping me qualify for the job in the first place).

7) Hmmm... not really. My parents played some games with me, but they didn't really foster it. My brother, who was 16 years older than me was like a rock star in my eyes. He had a car, he seemed cool and he liked some games... if there was a family influence it might have been him.

8) I really would like to see more of the world. I've travelled some in North America and the Caribbean, but being able to take Christy on some bigger trips would be nice (she really enjoys travelling).

9) Film. No question, not acting... but the production side of it. But, that's based on a fantasy in my head, and wouldn't have allowed for the family I have today.

10) This is a silly thing maybe, but I lived in one place my whole life. Than Christy and I decided that making a move with our family, so that one of us could stay home to look after the kids and the household would be a good idea. And we did it, despite the crazy looks from friends. We felt like we were really doing something we wanted, and not just something that that our life paths were naturally leading us to.

Whew, hope I rose to the challenge with that one Bernard! Thanks for the questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Steve!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?

Enjoy your week!

Congrats Steve? Has there been a mistake? Was I not supposed to be the Geek of the Week?! Rats... who do I give these robes too?

Well, until Steve gets here, I'll take a stab at these questions!

d10-1 Blue. I guess that's my fav colour. It used to be purple.
d10-2 Fall. Where I live it's great when it's just a little cool in the air, the leaves are turning colour and the sun is out.
d10-3 I used to take piano lessons. I took them for several years as my mother felt that someday I would really take to it, and then thank her for forcing me through all those lessons. Neither of those things happened.
d10-4 Yes!
d10-5 Sparky Marlborough.
d10-6 Smarties. But the Canadian ones, which are like American M&M's. Which are also like Canadian M&M's. I believe American Smarties are like Canadian Rocket candies, but bigger. So I'm not sure what American rockets are... I'm so confused now. Anyone else?
d10-7 Probably Friday. End of the week, kids are off with no urgent homework.
d10-8 Late at night, like now (2:30AM). It's quiet. I can catch up on things and I don't feel like I'm taking away from time with the kids.
d10-9 I never followed Star Trek. When I was growing up I was a TV completist. If I started a series I had to see ALL of it. From the start. By the time I was interested in Star Trek, I knew that if I started I was going to be in for more hours of catching up than could be managed. So I avoided it. Which, with some of the cool Star Trek gaming stuff, makes me feel like I might have missed out on some good stuff there.
d10-1d10-0 I can't say for sure, but it's something about needing a creative outlet, needing to be exploring something, learning something, sharing and socializing in some way. It's probably why Watch It Played has been fulfilling... it's hitting all those targets.
d10-1d10-1 As a kid I would have said being a basketball star or something. Now, if I can still make my wife smile and see my kids grow up healthy and self sufficient while doing something each day that I find personally fulfilling... yeah, that seems like enough. It's probably the cliche answer, but I suppose that's for a reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sinkarue wrote:

My one question is--Have you ever played a musical instrument?

I played piano for awhile, but most of that is forgotten. I could play a few kids tunes if asked. Luke is taking lessons now and doing well. Christy is very good on piano. I also learned a few guitar chords, but nothing to allow me to do anything beyond a few pop songs.

If I could play any instrument, it would be the harmonica. I have one, but I haven't given it the time required.

And thanks for joining us in our basement for that first play through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pigeon34 wrote:
Quit reading The Game of Thrones books and play The Game of Thrones the Board game!

I play this game any chance I get. Which isn't often enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre-Luc Ramier
Canada
Saint-Jerome
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Pigeon34 wrote:
Quit reading The Game of Thrones books and play The Game of Thrones the Board game!

I play this game any chance I get. Which isn't often enough!
I would play this game everyday! Well... I kind of do since I play this game in a Play By Forum!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Witek Wasilewski
Poland
Warsaw
Falenica
flag msg tools
mb
Congratulations!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
bravo, Rodney!

I have only one question for you. If you are traveling in a vehicle that is moving at the speed of light, and you turn your headlights on, would it do anything?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Hermansen
Denmark
Ringsted
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
herbman wrote:
1. Do you have a lot of different people to play with or is it mostly family or closed group activity for you?

2. You're always quick to answer any posts, at Youtube, Facebook, here at BGG, at least I've perceived it this way. How on earth do you find the time? Or am I overrating the frequency of attention you're getting?

3. What do you do for a living?

4. Ever been to Essen or other Game expos or conventions?

1) lol, if we ignore the great Watch It Played viewers I game with, no, my circle is still pretty small, but it's certainly bigger than when I first started. I met two local-ish guys because of the series and got inspired to start a local gaming group, which has fluctuating attendance. Gaming with my kids is still awesome though, so I'm happy

2) This year I have put a lot of other projects aside to focus on watch it played and the people who stay in touch with us. I want to do my best to make sure questions are answered when people have them and that people know just how much I appreciate their continued involvement with the series.

3) I still do some website, computer repair and graphic design jobs when I can, to try to round things out.

4) I have not been to Essen, but man would I love to go! I was very fortunate to attend GenCon this past year, which was my first ever gaming convention, and it blew my mind. A fantastic time. All of the excitement of new releases, lots of events and just being surrounded by thousands of people who share the same hobby and interests. Awesome stuff. I'm planning to attend this year as well. Hope to see some of you there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Johnstone
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney! You're a regular Canadian Tom Vasal

Next step is a RodneyCon on the island.

I look forward to more WIP videos.

Keep up the great work!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arjen Schouten
Netherlands
Veenendaal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't watch many of your video's, but I did buy Super Dungeon Explore partly because of you playthrough. Very well produced, and I hope to check out some more playthroughs!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  4 , 5 , 6 , 7 , 8  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.