Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jus ren
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
mb
Many congrats Rodney for being well deservedly nominated GotW
I watched your playthrough of Lord Of Rings LCG Core Set & on that basis have bought it & 3 of the shadows of Mirkwood expansions, with 2 further recently ordered. I do enjoy playing it but I do suck at it at the mo, as I have only won Passage of Mirkwood once, although I have only played that & Journey Along the Anduin which I have lost twice. Will continue to persevere. Hope you're having a great week as Geek of the Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I notice Rodney is avoiding the "Jordan - NKTOB" question... I see where I fall in the grand scheme of things now... one Netrunner beat down and I'm tossed to the curb like last week's christmas boxes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark van Eikeren
Netherlands
Hoorn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooooh, just came up with a question! I remember you mentioned that you wanted to do a RPG at some point, like Pathfinder or Mouse Guard. Would you consider making a video-series of that? I think a lot of the fans of your videos would love to see that. I know I would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A O
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Rodney!

As a fellow maritimer and father who plays games with his kids, I am a fan. I am very grateful to you for not only showing me games being played, but games being played with your kids.

My kids are getting old enough to play along, and you have provided me some good insight not only in to those specific games, but gaming with your kids in general. I dont think you get enough recognition for that aspect of your show, so I will officially thank you for those of us who play with our kids on the regular.

Some questions:

1 - if you attend any Cons or events this year, are you considering filming on the go?

2 - have you considered putting upcoming games to an audience vote?

3 - want to meet in the middle of the bridge and play Arkham Horror? im sure the traffic will wait.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Toxziq wrote:
I notice Rodney is avoiding the "Jordan - NKTOB" question... I see where I fall in the grand scheme of things now... one Netrunner beat down and I'm tossed to the curb like last week's christmas boxes

Ignore you? Never! Check page 6 again, methinks you missed my reply!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fuller
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright took all night but I finally got a question. It may have been asked already and if so I apologize before hand.

1) At what point, in the whole process of making Watch It Played, did you realize that you might could use this to Primarily: Help New gamers and Secondary: as a source of income for the family? That may sound crass I am sorry if it does. Could not think of another way to ask it.

2) What advice do you have for others that want to make a go of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santander
Chile
Santiago
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney!

I have a couple questions for you:

1. At what age did your kids start to play boardgames with you and what games did you use to introduce them to the hobby?

2. Does the wife play games with you and your kids and if so what games does she like?

3. Have you ever considered Sentinels of the Multiverse, Mage Wars, Descent 2nd Ed or Game of Thrones 2nd Ed for your show?

That's all!

PS: English is not my first language

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Coffin
Canada
St. John's
Newfoundland and Labrador
flag msg tools
I like trains.
badge
Nikola Tesla, Rockstar Scientist
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Blue. I guess that's my fav colour. It used to be purple.

Blue used to be purple??!?

marnaudo wrote:
If you are traveling in a vehicle that is moving at the speed of light, and you turn your headlights on, would it do anything?

If you decelerate, purple might change back to blue. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
Toxziq wrote:

Ignore you? Never! Check page 6 again, methinks you missed my reply!

Ack! I did! It's because you are so popular and there's so many replies to read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D B
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the videos - you've helped me make great purchases for games with my gaming buddies and kids. Keep up the awesome work - and never give up on that music career
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Moore
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
This user loves Easter eggs.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool! Now I have a new series to watch. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marnaudo wrote:
bravo, Rodney!

I have only one question for you. If you are traveling in a vehicle that is moving at the speed of light, and you turn your headlights on, would it do anything?

Of course not, the headlights burst during the acceleration.

Nice try Marco!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Trompeter
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great video Rodney!

Love your videos as you already know.

I stumbled on to your videos mid last year while looking for board game reviews. New to the hobby I was so taken back by the experience of getting to see someone explain the whole game then actually play the game. I am a big time video gamer but it is videos like yours that opened me up to a whole new world in board gaming.

You have influenced many of my recent game purchases. Games I never thought about became at the top of my list simply because I became familiar with them and could not wait to play it with others. I love thematic games as well.

I just about own almost all the games you have done so far and many others that you have not covered lol.

At this rate my wife should be kicking me out any day now haha. Just kidding

Keep up the great work!!

Anthony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eurojuegos Buenos Aires
Argentina
Buenos Aires
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Rodney!
Very nice pick Joel thumbsup

Now to my question:

When BGG is down:
do you usually / sometimes / never click the addicts link? zombie

Have a nice week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Gastonia,
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that you are not a wargamer, however; check out 1812 The Invasion of Canada, if you have not already done so. Great game,light war theme.

Plus, a new game 1775: Rebellion is being released 1Q 2013. Excellent light wargame on the American Revolution, with great mechanics(basically the same as 1812), and after playing makes you want to read history on these early North American wars.

Would also like to see a review of the new Descent 2nd edition.

Additionally, love your video series, I PROMISE that I will send you a contribution soon. Have to recover from Christmas first!

Thanks, for all you do for the gaming community. Just discovered your site a month ago. Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erikstanfill wrote:
- Ok, Sleeve or not to sleeve? Bag or no bag? Keep insert or chuck insert?
- Game storage. Being that I'm running out of space because of all the new games I've gotten this year (nowhere close to your acquisitions, though) what are your storage solutions? The Ikea shelves aren't cutting it.
- What's a must-see attraction on PEI?
- What is on your pizza?
- Premiere? Vegas? Avid?

That's all I got for now. And I have not forgotten that beatdown of my Carcassonne Elo you so graciously applied.

That was a heck of a game.

Okay, answers time!

1) I always "want" to keep the insert, but I've tossed a few FFG inserts. I'm getting over myself, and it's easier to do now. Anything that requires shuffling, I prefer to sleeve, although once again, I am starting to be okay with penny sleeves (for something like Seasons, for example. Android got the Dragonshields). And oh yeah, bags. Lotsa bags.

2)Shelves from CostCo. The ones in my bio video specifically. I think I might buy one more rack of them... but I might get the stink eye from Christy if I do.

3) The Greenwich Dunes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZlL1C1GIOw

4) Ham and Pepperoni, with green pepper for sure, and mushroom is fine too.

5) Premiere. It's what I've been using for years. I dabbled with Avid for a bit, but came home to Adobe.

Thanks for the questions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:

Also Word Association Football , I will list a word and you list a game or games that you associate with it. If you like you can expand and tell us if you like it/them or hate it/them and possibly why.

I'm skipping right to this! Too fun not too, and my aversion to picking favs compels me too .

Space ships - Space Hulk
Witches - Ghost Stories
Trains - Ticket To Ride (I bet I was the first to pick that!)
Transport (may include trains) - Merchants and Marauders (and odd pick perhaps).
Workers (paid or otherwise) - Village!
Trading - JAB (trading blows - huzzah).
Building - Sunrise City.
Pink - Puzzle Strike.
Theme - Mansions of Madness
Ships - Le Havre (which I haven't played, but it makes me think of ships... odd Merchants and Maurauders didn't occur to me here...)
Money - Oem. Some of the best game coins I have.
Purple - The Guilds in 7 Wonders.
Government - Diplomacy.
Vampires - Nightfall
Infrastructure - SimCity
Dice - My framed Dice Box.
Dinosaurs - I'm drawing a blank doctor.
Gemstones - Clash of Clans (what do you mean that's not a boardgame?)
Dragons - The Pathfinder beginner box.
Beer - Rolling Rock.
Wands - Wiz War

Karlsen wrote:

Is there any particular game that you have played recently, new or old, that you would like to recommend to readers of this thread? And optionally, why?

If you have never played an RPG, but have always wanted to I would highly suggest the Pathfinder Beginner Box. It is so well put together, that you will be DMing a game, and guiding your players through their adventure in a matter of an hour or so (or less, if you are less particular than I am). This set took a lot of my nervousness about DMing away, and allowed me to learn the system in a simple way and have fun doing so.

Karlsen wrote:
Last but not least, what are the five games that you have played most recently?

Tokaido, City of Remnants, Alien Frontiers, Constantinopolis and Tichu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eekamouse wrote:
What the?!?!? Where do I go to rescind my nomination!!! devil

Too late

Now who wants to talk about My Little Pony!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
borderline wrote:

Dresden Files takes a slight quality dive in book two, but I encourage you to stick with it. Book three is when the metaplot really takes off, and it's golden all the way from there.

Yeah, I'm almost done book one, and I don't love it (or hate it), but I've heard very good things about the series improvements, that I think I'll stick to at least book 3.

borderline wrote:

1) Do you have a favorite designer? You mentioned Vlaada Chvatil in passing earlier when discussing Mage Knight.
2) What are three games that you'd play regularly if you had a gaming group of, say, five players?
3) For Andrea: Have you had any luck introducing your classmates/peers to gaming? Do they even know of your forays into designer board gaming?

1) Vlaada is probably the one. I like several other designer's games, but when I look at my collection, I don't have a lot of repeated designers, whereas I have three of Vlaada's games.

2) Game of Thrones the board game, 2nd Edition, which is a game (when the time permits), that I generally have a craving to play. 7 Wonders, for the nice "always playing" aspect of it. And finally, the Mouse Guard RPG. Just for the endless story telling aspect of it.

3) If Andrea gets a chance I try to get her to the thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GrifterAlpha wrote:
Ooooh, just came up with a question! I remember you mentioned that you wanted to do a RPG at some point, like Pathfinder or Mouse Guard. Would you consider making a video-series of that? I think a lot of the fans of your videos would love to see that. I know I would.

I very, VERY much want to do a Mouse Guard session on the show. I'm glad to hear there is interest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andols wrote:

1 - if you attend any Cons or events this year, are you considering filming on the go?

2 - have you considered putting upcoming games to an audience vote?

3 - want to meet in the middle of the bridge and play Arkham Horror? im sure the traffic will wait.

1) I will be attending GenCon this year unless something unplanned happens, and I will certainly be recording some footage there. I had such a great time last year. As a first convention, I was certainly spoiled. Getting to make so many nice people, see so many games, it was just what it had been hyped up to be. I know before I could attend, I really enjoyed watching other peoples footage, so I could experience it remotely.

2) Yes, we actually had one Decider vote from our first fundraiser, and we're due for another one from our second one. It's tricky, because sometimes I have to schedule specific games, because of our schedule, or because I would like to have a game out before it releases to market - but we will have another viewer vote in the future, for sure.

3) lol, I would film that! Especially as we were both carted away in handcuffs

Thanks for the questions, my fellow maritimer!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cfuller92 wrote:
1) At what point, in the whole process of making Watch It Played, did you realize that you might could use this to Primarily: Help New gamers and Secondary: as a source of income for the family? That may sound crass I am sorry if it does. Could not think of another way to ask it.

2) What advice do you have for others that want to make a go of it?

1) Not crass at all, I get exactly what you mean. I'd say from the beginning of the idea for Let's Play Mansions of Madness I wanted it to also be instructional, which is why I shot an instructional video to start it off, rather than just jumping in with people who already knew how to play, and isolating those who didn't.

The money factor was less about realizing I could make money, and more about "Man, I love doing this. Doing this is taking up a lot of time. If I keep doing this in the long run, with my particular home life and time constraints, I'll need to find some way to monetize this. Maybe if our viewers see value in it and can help support it, I can keep doing this. If not, then no regrets, this has been a lot of fun." It would be nice to get a couple of sponsors, or something. Maybe someday that will happen. That said, with no sponsors, we are free to do and shoot whatever games we want and it really feels good to know that we are basically kept going by other gamers who share the same passion for the hobby. I never take it for granted. Ever. Our series still exists because other people helped.

2) Love it. Love doing it. But especially love the work/grind of doing it. No matter how you slice it, you will lose time you could be doing something purely recreational, or purely profitable - so have other motivations. For me it was to fulfil some internal enjoyment I have from learning and explaining games and trying to connect with other gamers in that process. Making the videos fulfils those goals, so even the mundane aspects of the process are rewarding on some level. And I suspect it is the mundane aspects that will kill you in the long run - unless you have a way to love it. But take all of that with a grain of salt, I'm only going off my own experience here and I've only been at this for a little over a year.

Thanks for the questions Chris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So close - I almost caught up on all the questions tonight.

I've gotta say, one very cool aspect to this GotW thing is how it's had me reflecting on things I don't make a lot of time to think about normally.

Thanks for the silly and serious questions so far everyone. And although I'm not replying to all of the "non-question" related comments, I'm certainly reading them all!

I'm going to see if I can dig out the rules for that simple card game I designed and share that either Wednesday or Thursday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
GrifterAlpha wrote:

I very, VERY much want to do a Mouse Guard session on the show. I'm glad to hear there is interest!

I still have my box set very sadly unplayed, so I would love to see this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, couldn't happen to a nicer geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  5 , 6 , 7 , 8 , 9  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.