Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Phillips
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think about doing a one time game play show with The Secret Cabal in the style of Table Top?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
hecubus667 wrote:
What do you think about doing a one time game play show with The Secret Cabal in the style of Table Top?

I would do any project with them, any time. Maybe something for GenCon, or perhaps over the webs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Vargo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats!

Very ironic in that I just watched my first series of episodes the day before I saw this announcement.

("Why hasn't this guy had more recognition of this cool series?")

Maybe now he will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pelvidar wrote:
As a child, I once tested the integrity of a ketchup packet by stomping on it. While in a Suit. The results were both immediate... and surprising. Mother was not amused.

Hilarious! I did the very same thing as a little boy only it was my auntie that was at "ground zero" and she took most of the blast. Neither her nor mother were very happy with lil Johnny!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave F.
Netherlands
Schelluinen
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one thing that I like most about the Watch It Played series is that you play it with your family.

Having a hobby is great, getting to share it with your family is, I would imagine, so fulfilling. You talk about getting something back from the people who watch your videos and feeling connected, but it's the family connection I see which makes me smile ear to ear.

I am so rooting for Luke every time he needs to make a critical dice roll and I cheer along with you guys if he nails it. And I'm sad if he misses, but it's also a good learning experience for life in general. Sometimes the dice go your way, sometimes they don't. And he seems to have a perfect memory for all of the rules you keep forgetting.

I've been a first time father for about five months now and I hope in ten years we get to have as much fun as you guys seem to have. I don't want to force anything on my little boy, but I do want to teach him about family values. I grew up myself in a time where computer gaming was just getting mainstream and I delve into that headfirst, but I always enjoyed playing Trivial Pursuit or Settlers of Catan with my parents.

I was really proud of Andrea when she did Jaipur on her own, she really did a great job presenting it and it was really fun to watch. You must have been very proud too I can only imagine. And I liked that Christie was willing to indulge you with a game of "What's my Word?" I know how hard it can be with a spouse that isn't into boardgaming like you are. Not that mine hates my hobby, she'll agree to play every once and a while. We rarely have the time though.

So in my view you really deserve to be GotW as you teach us not only how to play some great games and letting us be part of the story, but you also set a great example as a gaming father.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ackerman
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
For Djentlemen and Djentaholics
badge
Fuzzy Pickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Rodney! Long time lurker, first time commenter.

I'm very thankful for your series. My favorite being The Lord of the Rings LCG. It sold me instantly on you and the game.

I have a few questions:
Can you fix this wording on your profile?
Quote:
Could a game have that much complexity? I don't think I necessarily appreciated that complexity did not a good game make, at the time, but it got me exploring games.

Why have you rated everything an 8?! Discworld would be very displeased with you!!!

What's your favorite LCG? Will you be filming any of the others soonish?

Have you ever been so frustrated with a rules mistake you've made during recording that you had to completely trash a recording session?
- I say this because your mistakes are what I appreciate most about the series. It shows were a game can get too fiddly, where simple rules can get easily overlooked, and is crucial for learning how to fix mistakes in general. From what I've seen, you handle fixing your mistakes expertly well... so, I guess that means you're an expert at mistakes, although I suppose you'd rather be thought of as an expert at gaming. Lol. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
τὰ ὄντα ἰέναι τε πάντα καὶ μένειν οὐδέν
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the creator of the Watch it Played geekbadge, this nomination has been very good on my Geekgold bottom line. Wahaha!

Rodney, do you like reading rulebooks? As someone who hates reading them, your show is a fantastic service for my lazy, easily distracted self. It's funny that you mention Vlaada, since his rulebooks (with the exception of Mage Knight) are probably the only ones that are really fun to read. Dungeon Petz had me laughing out loud. ("Um. It's just a rule.")

Have you managed to get your wife to play anything with you lately? Thanks to Andrea I managed to get my wife to play some Jaipur with me (it's similar to Archaeology, which she liked except for the sand storms and thieves, but it doesn't have sand storms or thieves so she likes it a lot more) but I still can't trick her into something like X-Wing or Game of Thrones HBO Edition.

Are you guys still playing Legendary after your playthrough for the series, or has it fizzled a bit for you?

Questions for the real stars of Watch it Played.

Andrea and Luke, what are your current favorite games?

Andrea, have you had more of a chance to paint minis? Is it something you're really enjoying now or was it more of a one-time thing for Kola and Andy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Owens
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazing intro video Rodney, and a well deserved honor. Your videos are inspiring to me simply because you are creating life long experiences with your kids when you play these games. My kids are 6, 4, and 2 months and I am just getting starting to have some great experiences with my 6 and 4 yr old.

My question or rather request for you would be to have you fill out your top 10 and hot 10 here on the Geek! Enjoy your week of fame and all the Cash Prizes

Cheers,

Kenny
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Kinney

Indianapolis
Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well deserved. I love the Watch it Played series. It has cleared up some rules for me on many occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jersey
United States
Rives Junction
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney Smith and his family on Watch it Played are in no small part responsible for my indoctrination to board gaming.

About a year ago I was searching the web for any local D&D groups as I used to play back in the 70's & 80's and had a hankering to check out what had changed and maybe reclaim some of the fun I had as a youth when I came across a board gaming group. There was a picture of a couple board games to represent the meetup group and the box cover of one caught my eye, 7 Wonders. I have played the standard fare of games since boyhood and been very involved in video games throughout the years, most recently a World of Warcrack addict but this was new...what kind if game is this? Another google search led me to Watch it Played on YouTube and after watching the how to play 7 Wonders video I was hooked. I remember being astounded at this man's ability to teach, I thought for sure that had to be his profession. My first post was to that video and I said something to the effect of "this is the best instructional video of anything I have ever watched" and meant it. I can think of no more deserving gamer to be claimed "geek of the week" than Rodney Smith! Congrats my friend, you most certainly earned it!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Box of Delights
United Kingdom
Neston
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great choice !!!! Rodney and family are a great inspiration and wonderful in front of the camera.

My questions to you Rodney..

(1) do you have, or have had, a nickname, and, if so, what is/was it ?

(2) parlez vous francais ? or un autre language at all ?

(3) fave dinner ?

(4) Final question, a board game one: when did you have to stop trying to let the kids win, and begin struggling to win against them ?

bye ! And thanks for all your hard work, it's really enjoyed and appreciated.

Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Odd-Gunnar Wikmark
Norway
Kvaloysletta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Davio wrote:
The one thing that I like most about the Watch It Played series is that you play it with your family.

I second that. That fact brought me back to gaming just a couple of months back.

Question to Rodney: How do I get to play Space Hulk without paying 300 USD? (will you sell me yours...gulp

Okay, look deep into my eyes wow...sell me space hulk...sell me space hulk..sell me...now

on a more serious note. How do you feel about Gears of War? I am really curious about that and it would be awesome to test that out in your show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Colpaert
Belgium
TEMSE
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Rodney!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Trompeter
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I love your videos too Rick! Your Mage Knight stuff was epic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Dau
United States
Moline
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodney! Rodney! Rodney! Seriously, congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Brandon
United States
North Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
hecubus667 wrote:

I would do any project with them, any time. Maybe something for GenCon, or perhaps over the webs.

That would be really cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sim Guy
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CONGRATULATIONS Rod!

The year you were born I'd already been playing D&D for a year... You make me feel old. zombie

d10-1 Love the videos, especially the fact that you've got your kids into them as well; how long does it take you to turn out an episode (writing to post-worthy)?
d10-2 Who decides which games to play for the vids?
d10-3 Did your discovery of board games sour you on wargames forever?
d10-4 All your games are rated '8', please explain.
d10-5 What color of dice taste best?
d10-6 What is it that keeps you coming back to BGG every day?
d10-7 You are an Admin for a day: what feature would you change or add to the BGG site?
d10-8 You have the floor; anything you'd like to add?

Thank you for your answers. Enjoy your week!
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rodrigo Santander wrote:
1. At what age did your kids start to play boardgames with you and what games did you use to introduce them to the hobby?

2. Does the wife play games with you and your kids and if so what games does she like?

3. Have you ever considered Sentinels of the Multiverse, Mage Wars, Descent 2nd Ed or Game of Thrones 2nd Ed for your show?

1) I have a hard time remembering what games I first played with Andrea. She might remember better than I do. However, with Luke I remember buying this game for him early on:

http://www.amazon.com/Cranium-104010000-100E-Cariboo/dp/B000...

I would hide it in our room, and bring it out once a day for a couple of plays - treating it as a very special thing we got to do. I did this, because I didn't want him to get bored with it quickly, and it ended up making the gameplay itself pretty special for him.

The first hobby game I taught him was Carcassonne, without the farming rules.

2) Christy doesn't play as often as we do, but she does enjoy trick taking games like Wizard (probably her favourite) and is currently enjoy Tichu which we learned this Christmas. She also enjoys King of Tokyo, Carcassone, Wits & Wagers and Dixit.

3) Yes, Yes, Yes, Not Really. I say not really on Game of Thrones, because I feel like the gameplay would be a little heavier and dense to try to present in our format, with my kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pastor_Mora wrote:
Now to my question:

When BGG is down: do you usually / sometimes / never click the addicts link? zombie

Have a nice week!

When BGG is down I tend to just go be sad somewhere waiting for it to be back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon2 wrote:
I know that you are not a wargamer, however; check out 1812 The Invasion of Canada, if you have not already done so. Great game,light war theme.

Lately, my Acquisition Disorder (credit to The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast for that phrase) has been all fired up about trying this game. I'm trying to stick to my resolution to buy no new games until March, so let's all just agree to stop talking about this game.

Edit: Don't listen to me... tell me more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Davio wrote:

Since Christmas I feel like I've been a bit behind the eight ball in terms of getting ahead of some video projects, which has prevented me from responding to more of these comment posts, but I just wanted to say thanks for the nice words and your personal reflections on what you want in your own family relationships with your kids.

It was a pretty big deal for Christy to agree to join me on camera. Not something that she comes by naturally, despite being so confident in other areas. And I had a really good time, especially with how funny things got at times.

I listened to a podcast recently where Tom V said that once you put people in front of a camera, don't expect them to conduct game play naturally, and I know where he's coming from. On some level, there is a hyper reality to it, but on the other hand, if you don't worry too much about following a script and just try to be authentic in the moment, you can get some pretty real stuff. I hope we can stay pretty close to that "real" stuff, most of the time.

Edit: I also loved what you said about rooting for Luke to get those good rolls, that's so nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evenhope wrote:
I have a few questions:
Can you fix this wording on your profile?
Quote:
Could a game have that much complexity? I don't think I necessarily appreciated that complexity did not a good game make, at the time, but it got me exploring games.

Oh my. Thanks for that. Fixed. I think it's a little better now

Evenhope wrote:
Why have you rated everything an 8?! Discworld would be very displeased with you!!!

I forget which page I answered this on, but I did a better job there than I'll manage here Very briefly, it goes back to my dislike of trying to pin games into a stiff numbered structure, and for the impact it might have on other readers.

I know it's not my job to worry about how other people use my opinions, but I still don't like the idea that someone might miss out on a great game for them, based on my opinion.

If I have rated a game an 8, then I enjoy it. If I haven't rated it, I haven't played it. If I don't like it, I take it off my list.

Evenhope wrote:
What's your favorite LCG? Will you be filming any of the others soonish?

Lord of the Rings has gotten the most play at our house, followed by NetRunner. A viewer donated the Game of Thrones LCG to us, and while it didn't get a lot of play yet, I'm actually interested in giving it another crack as soon as I find the time.

Evenhope wrote:
Have you ever been so frustrated with a rules mistake you've made during recording that you had to completely trash a recording session?

I think this happened once... it was a situation where the mistake so fundamentally affected everything else, I thought it would be too hard to reset. My frustration with rules mistakes is more about the permanence of video. I make mistakes in games all the time, outside of the series (I'm sure this doesn't shock anyone ), but in the videos I'm afraid of creating confusion for the viewers. It's not so much embarrassment on my part, but concern that a viewer will stop watching an episode after a mistake was made, and then not see the correction video and have a false idea about how the game is played, because of my goof. Know what I mean?

In the early days, I will admit, I was concerned that people would see it as me not caring enough to get it right, but everyone has been really understanding about the goofs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see so many more fun questions to answer, but must call it a night for now. Catch you guys tomorrow. Hoping to record a special Watch It Played session for you guys here, that will go up Thursday or Friday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be a new viewer.. and.. yes, some of us watched your whole geek of the week video.. loved your Dice Tower homage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  6 , 7 , 8 , 9 , 10  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.