Birger Hogrefe
Switzerland
Rubigen
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After the second game there is still an open question:

When fighting a beast, when do i get the rewards (food/fur) and when i don't get them?

1. When i choose the hunting action, thats quite clear, i get the rewards (fur, food) after the fight.
2. I have to fight a beast when i drew an event (dangerous night). So after this fight, do i get the food and fur showed on the card aswell? Does it go to the future goods area?
3. A threat says (from the event card howling in the woods): take a card from the beast stack and fight this beast. Do i get the rewards after the fight in this case too?
4. When theres only the strenght of a beast shown (i dont fight a beast card from the hunting or beast stack), Is there any reward (i dont think so as i see just a beasts strenght...)?

Thanks in advance and thanks for this awesome game Ignacy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is quite easy. I'll go through the whole thing...

1. There is always a "Beast Strength" value on the card (either the Adventure or Mystery card you have drawn, or the Beast card you are instructed to draw, or on the Beast die). This is the value you compare your Weapon Level to. You can ALWAYS increase your Weapon level (with starting items, special abilites, treasures etc.) temporarily for this.
The difference between your final (possibly increased) Weapon Level and the Beast Strength is the number of Wounds you take (if the Beast Strength was higher).

2. After this value, several other symbols/numbers can follow:
- nothing, the value is on its own (like on the die). In this case nothing else happens, and you neither gain nor lose something
- the Weapon Level symbol. In this case you lower your Weapon Level by the given number (not your previously increased level, mind, but your current level on the chart)
- the Food symbol. You get that much food.
- the Fur symbol. You get that much fur.
- the palisades symbol. You decrease your Palisade level by this number.

3. Sometimes a Special effect is mentioned in text. Just follow the instructions given by the text.

That is it. Whenever information is given, all of it applies. Whenever information is missing, it is not applied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birger Hogrefe
Switzerland
Rubigen
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So every time i fight a beast card, i go through all steps. Compare with strenght, get maybe a minus on weapon, and get food and fur. It doesn't matter if i fight because of the hunting action or cause an event or a threat forces me to do that. And if i fight a beast with just a number (like the 3 on the dice) i don't get a minus on weapon, nor food and fur.
I hope i understood this....
One last question: the food and fur go to the future resources space or to the available resources space?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, correct.

Also all food and fur earned from a hunt is placed in future area, then transferred to active at the end of the action phase.

When resolving damage: The leader for the hunt action (Could be Friday if he is hunting with the dog), or player that drew a "fight a beast" card receives the damage.
However, ALL PLAYERS take the damage caused from fighting a level 3 beast from a red die roll (treat it like an unfulfilled demand).

Confused yet?

The only question I have about fighting beasts is really just a general question about resolution order of the action phase.

Is there a specific order that actions need to be resolved in, or is it up to the players to decide?

For example, let's say during the action phase players assign 2 tokens to hunt, but a separate action causes a "fight a beast" card to be drawn, which fight is resolved first? If one fight reduces weapon strength it might affect the resolution of the other fight.

Don't you love it when a question causes another question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
West Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To answer your questions:

Case #2 and #3 (during an Event) is covered on page 5:

Quote:
All of the resources that players receive in the Production phase (or in the rare instance, the Event phase ) should be placed in the Available Resources space. These are available to use by the players immediately.

Case #4 is covered (somewhat) on page 12:

Quote:
- if players have to Fight a Beast (with a strength of 3) and the Weapon level is lower than 3, each player gets 1 Wound for every lacking level etc. (according to Unfullled Demand rule, see Additional Rules chapter).

Such beasts give no resources, but typically don't reduce your weapon level either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Trevin, thank you for noticing that, and thank you for the ruling. We also just had Howling in the Woods come up, generating a nasty beast – a Bear – during the event phase. Thanks to our Pistol, we were able to take it out. We couldn't tell where the resources should go, but with your ruling from page 5, we get them immediately in the Available Resources box. That is huge!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One confusing thing is who takes damage from insufficient weapon strength.

With a normal hunt, it's easy to remember, because the lead player taking any action is the one directly effected by positive/negative effects that effect only 1 player. But when not taking the action, it gets confusing (and in my opinion, inconsistent).

Fighting a generic beast on a die
Rules, p.12
All players take damage per "unfulfilled demand" rule.

Fighting a beast because of an event card.
Rules, p.17
Only the current start player fights the beast.

The different ruling from the p.12 and p.17 examples create one of the many caveats in this game that make the rules hard to memorize. Thus making you waste a lot of time flipping through pages, or just doing it wrong out of very reasonable common sense. I may house rule consistency into this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. South
United States
N Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
From this thread: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/15542449#15542449

minksling wrote:
Here's a quote from Dumon that sums it up pretty well...

Dumon wrote:
For easy reference:

- ANYTHING that creates unfulfilled demand during the Action Phase will ONLY hurt the player performing the action in question (yes, even roof or palisades).
- ANY fight of a beast during the Event Phase will ONLY hurt the First Player
- ANYTHING ELSE that creates unfulfilled demand hurts all players

Exception:
When card text or scenario text says otherwise, but specifically so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moosey
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the link. That helps, but the animal card outside of the action phase is still an exception warrantying it's own bullet point. And when such a bullet point happens pretty rarely (or has for me), it maintains the problem with remembering to even think about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Pecorelli
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The food being available from a hunt due to an Adventure card during the event phase was huge for us last night. The first player was down to 1 HP after that and would have died during the Morale Phase due to unfulfilled demand for Determination tokens. With the available food from that encounter the Cook used the recipe ability and saved the player. We went on to win after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.