15 Posts

Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 - ?» Forums » Rules

Subject: Safer Now? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I take it that "no Islamist Rule" on this card must mean no IR marker anywhere on the map, and doesn't mean 'no cells in IR countries'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I thought so, but it's another card with wording which could have been made less ambiguous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A very literal reading of the card text is best with GMT CDGs. 'Islamist Rule' refers to the markers only, they'd mention cells if they wanted to. Often best not to try and work out what the card doesn't say and just go on what it does say.

Personally I found the wording on the Labyrinth cards very concise - what other cards did you find ambiguous?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoShedsJackson wrote:
A very literal reading of the card text is best with GMT CDGs.

I have learned that this is the best way to deal with their cards. Don't try to infer something that isn't there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Volko Runhke and Chad Jensen. Not GMT as a whole.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is there a 'literal' or 'non-literal' reading though? There are a couple of cards which do say two things at the same time, e.g. the Iran event (if a player isn't meant to do something then don't put "shift to" in the wording?). The game is great but there're a number of areas where aspects need greater clarity. Some of the clarifications would have been easy to provide (?).

The Biometrics event seems overpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
JoshuaPayne wrote:
Is there a 'literal' or 'non-literal' reading though?

I would say that reading "no Islamist Rule" as "no cells in IR countries" qualifies as a non-literal reading.

JoshuaPayne wrote:
There are a couple of cards which do say two things at the same time, e.g. the Iran event (if a player isn't meant to do something then don't put "shift to" in the wording?).

What's the problem with the Iran event? It tells you clearly to ignore failures or a shift to Islamic Rule. Taking "shift to" out of that sentence leaves it nonsensical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there is a literal reading, you just read the card and do exactly what it says. Don't infer anything not mentioned on the card.

They have a limited space on these cards for the text, about three sentences tops, so they have to be concise.

As for the Iran card, the last sentence is 'Ignore failures or shift to Islamic Rule' - so the structure indicates that everything in that sentence is to be ignored.

Doesn't leave a huge amount of room to be mis-interpreted.

Biometrics being overpowered is a completely different matter. In the hands of the Jihadist it can have next to no impact if he plays it late or last in the turn, or uses it as a 1st Plot.

It has more use in the hands of the US as it is only 1 op, but even then it is quite dependent on the board situation to be of major use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It blocks all non-adjacent travel for a turn - ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conor Hickey
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaPayne wrote:

And?

There are plenty of powerful events in the deck. The Jihadist will likely have to concentrate on recruiting, plotting, or Jihad for this turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's just a ride...
England
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshuaPayne wrote:

When I play the Jihadists, I rarely use non-adjacent travel anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Payne
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It may be dependent on the situation on the board - but that's true for all the events. It's a strong card.

Non-adjacent travel is a good idea. Most countries will start as Poor, and 0.5 is not bad odds IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I would say Volko Runhke and Chad Jensen. Not GMT as a whole.

That's excellent company, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbothy wrote:
JoshuaPayne wrote:
Is there a 'literal' or 'non-literal' reading though?

I would say that reading "no Islamist Rule" as "no cells in IR countries" qualifies as a non-literal reading.

Actually, the OP is correct. The card can be interpreted in two ways.

The actual text says, "Play if no Islamist Rule and no Good countries have cells or plots."

The "cells or plots" could be referring to either or both "Islamist Rule and "Good" countries.

Now, I understand how it is supposed to be interpreted, but you have to admit that it could be worded better. i.e. "Play if not Good countries have cells or plots and no Islamist Rule."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.