Subject: Prosperity or Hinterlands rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I have the base game and Seaside and I'm thinking about the next expansion to get (but taking one step at a time). Which one would you say is more complex, (P seems more mathy) Or should I go for both)? Thanks for your suggestions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want more of a deep game, with more to consider for strategy, and could also make longer games, get Prosperity. The Platinum and Colony cards offer more victory cards and points, and having them in the game changes it quite a bit. Emptying either Province or Colony will stop the game, so you now have to think about how many of each you want, or can get, before one of them is gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
what about storage solution-are the mats able to fit nicely in the box like the ones in Seaside?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The boxes for Prosperity and Hinterlands are the same. Prosperity also comes with victory tokens, FWIW.

I've never store the cards in their boxes since I bought them. I used a $5 cardboard box made for holding baseball cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Prosperity is a must have. Hinterlands is just another good expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Steindam
United States
Lakewood
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Prosperity is widely considered to be the best Dominion expansion. The only reason I can think of to put it off is that it adds so many new features that it can be a great surprise once you've already bought several other expansions.
So if you're SURE that you're going to buy more Dominion after this one, you might want to hold off on Prosperity just to heighten the impact of its changes. If there's a chance that this will be your last Dominion expansion, though, definitely make it Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion ratings...

8.52 Prosperity
8.45 Dark Ages
8.28 Hinterlands
8.20 Seaside
8.01 Cornucopia
7.99 Intrigue

7.92 Dominion
7.92 Governor
7.57 Walled Village
7.38 Stash
7.26 Envoy
7.18 Alchemy
7.14 Black Market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hockey Mask wrote:
Dominion ratings...

8.52 Prosperity
8.45 Dark Ages
8.28 Hinterlands
8.20 Seaside
8.01 Cornucopia
7.99 Intrigue

7.92 Dominion
7.92 Governor
7.57 Walled Village
7.38 Stash
7.26 Envoy
7.18 Alchemy
7.14 Black Market

Wow - black market is lower than stash - that surprises me.

I vote for posterity because of colonies and platinum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could only play one Dominion set for the rest of my life, it'd probably be Hinterlands. Maybe Dark Ages. Prosperity is certainly popular, but for me it's pretty far down there on the list of my favorite expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
I have the base game and Seaside and I'm thinking about the next expansion to get (but taking one step at a time). Which one would you say is more complex, (P seems more mathy) Or should I go for both)? Thanks for your suggestions
If you're gonna end up getting both Pros. and Hint., then the order won't really matter that much. I'd say go Pros. first since the release order is the tie breaker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
For what it's worth, Hinterlands fell flat for me when it first came out and we started playing Hinterlands-only games. Then we started mixing Hinterlands cards in with cards from the other sets and suddenly the cards became really fun.

I love Hinterlands now, but I don't think I'd make it my only set. It really shines when used with others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I don't know if it's just my perception, but to a certain extend Hinterlands seems to be a mixture of Intrigue (offering choices) and Prosperity (multiplying abilities); and it seems to make money in hand less valuable, since now you can get more cards in one turn. What about getting Hinterlands+base cards only, just to add the Colony/Platinum? Most likely not both expansions at once to make things anymore complicated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
I don't know if it's just my perception, but to a certain extend Hinterlands seems to be a mixture of Intrigue (offering choices) and Prosperity (multiplying abilities); and it seems to make money in hand less valuable, since now you can get more cards in one turn. What about getting Hinterlands+base cards only, just to add the Colony/Platinum? Most likely not both expansions at once to make things anymore complicated.
FWIW, the decisions aren't similar the ones in Intr., such as Trash this or don't, do choice A, choice B, etc. on this card. They moreso interact with cards in Supply or in your hand.

Hinterlands says the theme is cards that activate when bought or gained, which is true, but Mint from Pros. is really the first card to have that effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.