Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend I attended the Open Android: Netrunner afternoon at Labyrinth Games and Puzzles [http://www.labyrinthgameshop.com] in DC. I had only played one game previously, but I was studying the rules and built a Corp and Runner deck to test out.

When I walked in, everyone was in a game except for one other guy, Willie from Anchorage, who was observing and seemed to want to be invited to sit down. It turns out he had only played one game before also, so I hoped it would be a fair match. I was nervous, though, because while I knew my self-made decks were legal, I wasn't sure how competitive they would be. He was amiable to the custom decks, and played Corp, which was the only side he knew.

His was an NBN deck that was supported with cards that would tack on advancements quickly, like the Weyland "Shipments..." card and Priority Requisition. Mine was a pretty straightforward Shaper deck with some Criminal support for Inside Job and Back Door Beta. I would be happy to post the deck lists here or in the comments if people are interested, but I won't bloat this post with all that right away.

Unfortunately, in the first game, all he drew were a few operations and neutral Ice, none of the more helpful cards. Meanwhile I started off with a Maker's Eye and grabbed two agendas off the bat. I drew a second Maker's Eye in Round 2 or 3, and ended the first game. At this point I felt I had done him a disservice with the deck, but explained that there were better cards in the deck, he just didn't get to them in time.

He was happy to play again, and this time got a few Data Ravens and Tollbooths more quickly. Still no Matrix Analyzer, but the game was much closer. I still had early help from Maker's Eye, but actually had to work for a few more Agenda points through Inside Job and paying through the nose to get past Tollbooth. I still won this one, but he managed to score a couple agenda points, which made us both feel better.

He stayed for one last game, and we switched sides to see if that made a difference. Apparently my Runner deck was a lot stronger than my Corp deck, because this was the closest game of all. I protected my R&D well after seeing the power of Maker's Eye early on, but at the expense of HQ, which was easier to raid. I had him tagged early and often, but becuase he had no Resource cards in play, it made very little difference except for one Closed Accounts card that took 10 credits from him. He stole quite a few agenda points, and was actually leading 6 to 4 when he ran HQ one last time.

I had Priority Requisition on a server with 3 advancements on, two to go. He ran HQ, which held a Private Security agenda and three other cards. If he drew it, he won. If he missed it, my turn would begin and I could throw the last two advancements down and hit my seven agenda points. He missed it, grabbing an asset instead.

It was a great experience for me, and it seemed to be positive for Willie from Anchorage also. I will definitely be back at Labyrinth for their first Netrunner tournament, if they will have me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
El-ad David Amir
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the report! You're welcome to post deck lists if you want suggestions/ideas/comments on your build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Labyrinth was a great day.

One note: February will be their second tournament. Their first was a few months ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is built entirely with the Core Deck, but I do have the first Data Pack, which will be tournament legal. I have already realized that I don't need the back-up console, since the Corp only trashes resources, not hardware (right?)

Identity:
NBN: Making News (Core)

Total Cards: (48)
Agenda (10)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x2
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x2
Private Security Force (Core #107) x2
AstroScript Pilot Program (Core #81) x2
Breaking News (Core #82) x2

Asset (7)
Aggressive Secretary (Core #57) x2
Ghost Branch (Core #87) x2
Security Subcontract (Core #96) x1
Melange Mining Corp (Core #108) x2

ICE (17)
Data Raven (Core #88) x3
Enigma (Core #111) x2
Hunter (Core #112) x2
Matrix Analyzer (Core #89) x3
Tollbooth (Core #90) x3
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2
Ice Wall (Core #103) x2

Operation (9)
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x3
Neural EMP (Core #72) x2
Closed Accounts (Core #84) x2
Shipment from Kaguya (Core #100) x2

Upgrade (5)
Red Herrings (Core #91) x2
SanSan City Grid (Core #92) x1
Experiential Data (Core #66) x2

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 6
Jinteki: 4
NBN: 29
The Weyland Consortium: 5

Identity:
Kate "Mac" McCaffrey: Digital Tinker (Core)

Total Cards: (47)
Event (20)
Diesel (Core #34) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core #20) x2
Infiltration (Core #49) x3
Inside Job (Core #21) x2
Modded (Core #35) x2
Sure Gamble (Core #50) x3
The Maker's Eye (Core #36) x3
Tinkering (Core #37) x2

Hardware (8)
The Personal Touch (Core #40) x2
The Toolbox (Core #41) x1
Rabbit Hole (Core #39) x2
Akamatsu Mem Chip (Core #38) x2
Desperado (Core #24) x1

Program (12)
Battering Ram (Core #42) x2
Corroder (Core #7) x1
Crypsis (Core #51) x3
Gordian Blade (Core #43) x2
Magnum Opus (Core #44) x2
Pipeline (Core #46) x2

Resource (7)
Aesop's Pawnshop (Core #47) x1
Armitage Codebusting (Core #53) x2
Sacrificial Construct (Core #48) x2
Access to Globalsec (Core #52) x2

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 2
Criminal: 13
Shaper: 54

Also, he had five tags on him by the end of the last game. Does that do anything for me besides being prohibitively expensive to get rid of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OctoberSky wrote:
This is built entirely with the Core Deck, but I do have the first Data Pack, which will be tournament legal. I have already realized that I don't need the back-up console, since the Corp only trashes resources, not hardware (right?)

For now, this is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
OctoberSky wrote:

Also, he had five tags on him by the end of the last game. Does that do anything for me besides being prohibitively expensive to get rid of?

You've included an out-of-faction agenda with Accelerated Beta Test. I don't know if your tourney allows for cross-faction agendas.

IIRC, Aggressive Secretary is four influence points. For each copy.

And Psychographics played with five tags can automatically score any agenda you've got in your deck.

Break a leg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:
You've included an out-of-faction agenda with Accelerated Beta Test. I don't know if your tourney allows for cross-faction agendas.

It does not, so that would not be a legal deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Opie wrote:

I used the CardGameDB deck builder for this, which was clear on the agenda points/cards in the deck rule, but didn't suggest anything about out-of-faction agendas. I am sure I would want to stick to FFG's stated tourney rules.

It does seem to have counted the two influence cost each for Aggressive Secretary correctly (two influence dots on the card), but I will definitely check everything against the rule book's deck building section before competitive play to clear it all up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
It does not, so that would not be a legal deck.

Ok, good to know. It makes perfect sense thematically, why would one faction be advancing the agenda of another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OctoberSky wrote:
Opie wrote:

I used the CardGameDB deck builder for this, which was clear on the agenda points/cards in the deck rule, but didn't suggest anything about out-of-faction agendas. I am sure I would want to stick to FFG's stated tourney rules.

It does seem to have counted the two influence cost each for Aggressive Secretary correctly (two influence dots on the card), but I will definitely check everything against the rule book's deck building section before competitive play to clear it all up.

Darksbane should know about this then - out of faction agenda should not be permitted by his deck builder.

-=-=-

And from Core rulebook, p24:
A deck cannot contain out-of-faction cards with a total
influence value that exceeds the influence limit listed on
the chosen identity card (see “Influence” below). Cards that
match the faction of the identity card do not count against
this limit.

and

Note: Some cards do not have any influence value (this is
different than a card that has an influence value of zero). These
cards are identified by their lack of an influence box. A card
without an influence value cannot be used with an identity card
that has a different faction affiliation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
OctoberSky wrote:
Opie wrote:

Darksbane should know about this then - out of faction agenda should not be permitted by his deck builder.

I don't think it does, at least not in the version I downloaded a couple of days ago. The Influence tracker goes nuts and says "OOF" when I try to add an out-of-faction agenda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Darksbane runs cardgamedb.com / not the downloadable spreadsheet version
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Darksbane runs cardgamedb.com / not the downloadable spreadsheet version

Doh! Righto, then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I may also have thrown it off by picking my identity towards the end, after seeing which faction was predominant. It may have limited my agenda choices if I had defined my identity at the start of the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OctoberSky wrote:
I may also have thrown it off by picking my identity towards the end, after seeing which faction was predominant. It may have limited my agenda choices if I had defined my identity at the start of the process.

Usually the first thing to do when deck building actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate K
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
OctoberSky wrote:

Indeed. Although it took me a few minutes to settle on an Anarch build when I decided to build a deck that combines Medium and The Maker's Eye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bender
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:

As a beginner who is still learning the cards, I thought I was being rather clever seeing where the influence points took me. I don't think I would have chosen NBN based on their Identity, I would have focused on HB or Weyland. Oh well, it has been a very helpful learning process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BT Carpenter
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OctoberSky wrote:
byronczimmer wrote:

As a beginner who is still learning the cards, I thought I was being rather clever seeing where the influence points took me. I don't think I would have chosen NBN based on their Identity, I would have focused on HB or Weyland. Oh well, it has been a very helpful learning process.

That's fair, hence the 'usually' qualifier. Indeed simply going through the box and picking what 'sings to you' and choosing an Identity based on that is a great way to familiarize yourself with the box contents and pick a play style. As you get more familiar with the cards, you'll be more likely to pick an Identity and Agenda first - and then pick your support cards (ICE, Economy, Tricks).

This is one of the reasons I advocate playing all of the factions OOB at least once before deck building as it helps new players learn the strengths and weaknesses of the out of the box experience. I'm still learning tricks in the vanilla decks based on card draw order.

I am aware that the desire to jump feet first into deck building - but personally I prefer to know why I'm including (or not) a given card in a deck I purposefully built.

When Deck Building, I tend to take a pack of sleeves (50), set one aside for the ID and then start loading cards. Every card has to justify its existence to me. The Agenda mix is usually the first hurdle, followed by in faction ICE (dictated by Agenda/ID), out of faction ICE to plug holes, and then the Economy to pay for it and any tricks I need to keep it all working. 45-49 cards is the norm and there are people in both camps on whether they want those extra 4 cards.

For the Runner, you have to decide if you're going icebreaker heavy (full payload) or light (with just Crypsis or Crypsis + a specific type) and then what else is worth including for Economy, card Draw (Wyldside, Diesel, Tutors or nothing), Protection and again, what tricks you want to include.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.