Subject: Magellan V Rho. Rho pulls out via luck rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So i had a 2 player with a buddy (known as buddy) over the weekend.

Eclipse is actually a pretty good 2 player game. Probably better 2 player than 3 as your opponent is far more defined and politics take no place. Also LOTS of fighting.

Rho got the win, but it was possibly a perfect game for them (in terms of tech) and they still needed some luck in order to push past the Magellan.

We did the ancient home worlds and all the other goodies from the expansion.

He was Magellan, i was the Rho Indi.
Other than me getting improved hull, Buddy got off to a better start, he got some decent early Hexes and some good discoveries giving him early money for more explores and as a result he took the majority of III hexes. I think the Mallegalan need this early discovery bounty to compete. It gives them a strong start to get an ancient busting fleet and they are more inclined than any other race to take the discoveries for effect. My start was muted. My 1st explore was a ancient, 2nd was a one money hex. I did the 2 explores, colonized the cash world and passed. Normally i would push the 1st round to go into bankruptcy in order to get some discoveries but with the ancient home worlds and the rho indi pillaging ability i felt i needed a fleet (Rho get money for destroying ships, one money for each rep tile you draw -1). So passing on a -3 with one extra money world colonized gave me 3 money and 6 mats for the next round (Rho interceptors are an annoying 4 point cost but the money trades 3-2). That allowed me to build 2 more interceptors, upgrade and move in round 2. I think this is probably the quickest consistent way Rho Indi get their ancient busters going and they toasted the ancient without any losses. It seems with these guys you need to fight early and often and i'd say the best early techs are IH or Plasma cannon. You either need to kill fast or take the hits.

So round two ended after a big explore phase by Buddy and me taking out my 1st ancient and taking a discovery for +6 mats. Buddy proceeded to take discoveries. I can't remember what he got when exactly but he ended the game with quite the horde.
Round 3 I settled back into exploring to pick up one or two of the last IIIs and finally connected to the center. I moved my whole force into the nearest alien home world. Mark picked up improved economy and plasma cannons and started building dreadnaughts. Taking down the homeworld got me the conformal drive (4 hex movement, + 2 init, Luck point 1), probably the best tech for Rho's interceptors especially when Mark was actively researching other drives off the board.
round 4 i got advanced robotics and explored another ancient world which i advanced into. Buddy began attacking his discovered ancients. There was a pretty heavy dreadnaught in the center so both sides were tentative about taking it on without serious power. I was still taking out ancients with my ion peashooters whereas Buddy started wrecking shit with his plasma cannons.
Round 5 things started to get interesting. Buddy got IH. We explored hexes adjacent to each other and paths into each others territory were opened, one side was blocked by a double ancient but the other side was open. Buddy influenced a hex my side of the board i didn't control. I built 2 more interceptors and i moved one into the Hex controlled by Buddy. We both moved into combat zones and destroyed the ancients leaving 2 home worlds left and no ancients. I got a warp portal in the hex i fought in (2 points added to the hex and a path to a hex adjacent to Buddies home world).
Round 6 started with me invading several hexes in marks territory including his home world via the warp portal (could it have come at a better time? luck point 2). He didn't seem to have much build and i was hoping to harrass his strong economy. I had overlooked one of the developments which gave +12 mats for 7 science and 7 money which he took and used it to counter. That made me second guess my advance but, in hindsight, it did exactly what it should do which is to divert Buddys resources (Monoliths were an option since round one). He built up ships in his home world and diverted attention away from the center hex. Fighting was short, i retreated from everywhere i could and lost horribly when i couldn't retreat.
Round 7 onward (in rough order) i picked up Antimatter cannons, built up lost interceptors and went for the last home world on my side of the board still harassing Buddy where i could. Mark did a lot of upgrading, took starbases and bought missiles. The home world gave me the variety platter (+3 money, +3 sci, + 2 mats) which i took. At turn 7 or 8 i took the center with 5 interceptors with IH and AntiM Cannons. On the 8th or 9th round i picked up the Artifact link development and the artifact key, at that time i had 7 artifacts and it was likely this that really gave me the game (35 resources anyone?) and i managed to hold onto 4 of them for a decent points haul from the artifact link.

I held the center from Buddies double cruisers but a more important battle swung my way with excessive luck. A 3 point artifact world belonging to Buddy switched to me when one of my ints took down his dreadnaught. He needed 3 3's on 6 dice (only 2 3's if the right dice hit) and only got one hit through and i rolled back to back 6's. 7 point swing (luck point 3).
final score 43 - 48 rho wins

The last part of the game blended together so it may not be accurate but the flow of the game is captured. I have to say that while playing the Rho indi was fun it was very "unstable". I did build starbases to keep a hold of the center (both starbases got smoked by Buddies 8 initiative cruisers) and the warp portal hex but most of my defense relied on me aggressively trying to occupy Buddys best hexes forcing a reaction from him that took the pressure off some of my worlds. Buddys fleet had the beating of mine but the better movement kind of held him frozen, or at least it appeared to, but he still managed to take 3 of my better hexes away (2's or 3's with artifacts) that i could do nothing about.
This game gave me an idea about what harassing is all about, rather than the turtle or dominate strategies which is about all I've used before. In round 6 i made my advance almost mindlessly. i wasn't gonna take the center with my fleet, there was nothing else left to explore and Buddy had the better "turtle" and fleet so i decided to attack. whereas it didn't do what i thought it would (i took over 0 hexes and lost 2 interceptors) it did force Buddys hand as far as resources. It was the 1st game i use "hit and fade" tactics that i keep reading about. Basically pinning ships to hexes and retreating out of the battle before you lose them kept Buddy on his side of the galaxy and dragged him into the arms race. I'm pretty sure if Buddy had focused his might into the center i would have been crushed but it would have taken far too many actions for him to commit when his fleet was stretched trying to protect his space. Still i felt that the end result was fortunate on my end rather than designed. Rho Indy are fun but i can see the Rho games often falling into out matched games where they pick up few decent spoils as I have experienced previous. They might be better with more players where you can really start poaching hexes from several sources but i'd say they are one of the bottom 4 races to play. Saying that, i think they have a low floor and a high ceiling. With tachyon/conformal drives and plasma or antimatter cannons they'll be rough as you can't protect all your hexes from them. If they can also get wormhole and cloaking then nowhere is safe and that's their best game even if it will give you a headache trying to figure out where to go. I just don't see them getting just what they need too often. The techs are necessary and you may not see them. Without the conformal drive i don't think i could've afforded the Tachyon drive to harass Buddy as i did.

Magellan seem to be a pretty interesting and balanced race. They need to get discoveries and can and will get them from research, fighting or explores, that's their game. The colony ship refresh limit of one is a difficult loss though. Its interesting that their tactics will change depending on the races they face. Against planta and Draco they are gonna need to be offensive to take the discoveries from ancients as they will be out explored by the 2 best exploring races, but against Orion or more aggressive early builds they would be better served exploring for the "free" discovery hexes. With only the colony ship draw back they seem pretty flexible and should be able to match almost anyone. I'd say upper middle of the race pack, not as good as Hydran but they could easily net 8 points from discoveries whilst using the benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if you played it correctly or not, but just to be clear. Magellan only gets the bonus discovery chit for tech, once. Also the reset one colony ship only impacts them during Influence actions (all colony ships reset at the end of the turn as usual). It is actually a benefit, because they can always turn colony ships into resources (so they are never wasted). Sounds like a fun match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't see you mention cruisers at all. Rho Indi interceptors are good, but you still have the problem that you can't put both hull and a computer on them. Your strategy seems to have been a good compromise - take hull and anti-matter cannons, and hope for sixes.

But I found them a little too pricey for how fragile they are. Cruisers are a much better bang for the buck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stu ma
Germany
HD
flag msg tools
mbmb
Magellan are definately a very good race. Very good for beginners, since converting colonyships into ressources is actually extremely flexible. I would also go for cruisers. BUT a friend of mine built interceptors with plasma and hull and managed to take down the GSDS on turn two with 4 interceptors. I always unterestimated this combo. Give them computers and antimatter and they get even more nasty....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dlhammond wrote:
Not sure if you played it correctly or not, but just to be clear. Magellan only gets the bonus discovery chit for tech, once. Also the reset one colony ship only impacts them during Influence actions (all colony ships reset at the end of the turn as usual). It is actually a benefit, because they can always turn colony ships into resources (so they are never wasted). Sounds like a fun match. :)

So i think we may have played the discovery bonus wrong, we might have played it where each track got a discovery after 3 techs. I'm aware that the single colony ship refresh is just the influence stage. I still think its a pretty big deal. Colonizing generally nets you more than one resource. flipping for resources is good early but tends to be poor late game.

Hannibal Rex wrote:
I didn't see you mention cruisers at all. Rho Indi interceptors are good, but you still have the problem that you can't put both hull and a computer on them. Your strategy seems to have been a good compromise - take hull and anti-matter cannons, and hope for sixes.

But I found them a little too pricey for how fragile they are. Cruisers are a much better bang for the buck.

Well build depends on strategy. It would have been hard to stand toe to toe with my opponents double positron, double IH dreadnaughts with 2 or 3 cruisers. I never had any trouble with the other battles i fought. Every ancient battle or ancient cruiser died with no losses. So my tactics all game was just to have my full complement of interceptors out in order to overwhelm his air space. The only other ships i built were starbases and i didn't really have much extra actions to upggrade the cruisers also.
Once i upgraded the antimatter they had no problem taking the center. I might have taken it sooner but plasma cannons only dropped once and my opponent bought them and so i teched straight to antimatter.

to summarize, i picked interceptors and went with those. I didn't have the materials to be losing cruisers and once i got the conformal it seemed pointless to build my bigger threats when i wasn't looking for a straight up fight, just trying to sucker punch and run. The interceptors seemed far more capable at doing that than cruisers.

Aselan wrote:
Magellan are definately a very good race. Very good for beginners, since converting colonyships into ressources is actually extremely flexible. I would also go for cruisers. BUT a friend of mine built interceptors with plasma and hull and managed to take down the GSDS on turn two with 4 interceptors. I always unterestimated this combo. Give them computers and antimatter and they get even more nasty....

I think a decked out interceptor fleet with hulls and antimatter is nasty for almost anything to take on. The sheer number of rolls give you hits and there is a lot of hull to get through. The built in shields of the Rho Indy really make them shine also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fingersandteeth wrote:
I'm aware that the single colony ship refresh is just the influence stage. I still think its a pretty big deal. Colonizing generally nets you more than one resource. flipping for resources is good early but tends to be poor late game.

How often do you use the influence action? For me, it's probably an average of once per game. Sometimes more, sometimes not at all. You basically use the influence action for one of three reasons: a) to remove discs from the board - it's rare for me to do this because usually you can do it more efficiently by just taking any other action besides influence and then running short of money at the end of the turn, b) to take over sectors for points at the end of the game - probably the most likely scenario for me, where I abandoned some 1 cube hexes earlier and will take an action to essentially gain +2 VP in the late game - in this scenario, usually your colony ships don't matter much, c) specifically to flip colony ships - in this case, you're usually trading ~3 money in upkeep for putting out two cubes. It can sometimes be worth it, but other times you're better off just waiting until next turn to get those cubes out. Situational.

So Magellans turn that last scenario from situational to "almost never worth it." And in a combination of a) and c) (i.e. where you want to abandon a hex and also could use your colony ships flipped back over), they get a slight penalty. One less colony ship flipped, an average of once (maybe twice) a game versus... how many times do you have a Colony ship leftover at the end of the turn? Probably not on turn 1 or 2, but still I'd guess that those leftover colony ships could turn into about 5 extra resources over the course of a game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petri Savola
Finland
Espoo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I agree that Magellan ability of getting resources from colony ships is strong, but the weakened influence action is significant.

I use influence action often when researching advanced economy/labs/materials. 3 colony ships is usually enough to populate the advanced planets you currently own, but often you can influence new sector(s) with the advanced planets too and for this you need the extra colony ships.

If you manage to get white planets or orbitals, you can adjust production with influence action. With reduced influence action the adjusting is more difficult to do, especially if you wish to colonize other planets on the same turn. Often you want to adjust production to maximize money for last turn(s).

Keep in mind that influence is not always static. If you're waging war with somebody, maybe getting bombed somewhere or need to overspend and abandon some sectors to avoid bankruptcy, you regularily need a lot of colony ships to push your production back up on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Urg
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arkayn wrote:

How often do you use the influence action?

More often than you state in your post.

Influence is most likely the least chosen of all the actions but its usually a big deal when i choose it and i routinely do it 2-3 times a game, often with the sole purpose of refreshing CSs.

All Petri's points above i agree with, buying Advanced X and then influencing to get a resource boost that round is pretty big and happens often for me, perhaps because i wait until i have 2-3 advance worlds in controlled sectors and i want to reap the rewards that round.

Sometimes your explores pull 2 decent worlds and you need more than your allotted ships to colonize.

I've encountered turns where i explore and drop 2-3 colonies but still want to engage in an ancient battle. Leaving un-colonized worlds on controlled hexes seems pretty in-efficient to me and if burning one disk gets me an extra 4-5 resources the next round its worth it.

When i played the Magellan i found the reduced influence action to hinder me significantly, to the point where i felt my economy was falling behind a rampant opponent who could just colonize faster than i could.

Saying that, i feel they are balanced. Their development game assures you of a good points haul at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.