mbmbmbmbmb
Some that my girlfriend really enjoys:

Jambo
Roma/Arena Roma II
Babel
Mystery Rummy Series: Bonnie & Clyde, Jack the Ripper, Al Capone, Wyatt Earp
Seasons
San Juan

Here's some geeklists with 2p suggestions (all different criteria lists)

Metalist for 2 Player Games Geeklists (66 lists!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If she wants heavier games then she is into gaming enough to do some research and tell you what she wants, isn't she? Or is this a surprise gift?

I know when someone plans to give me a game for a gift I need to give them a list of what I want.

Or if you have a FLGS, take her to a demo night to try out some things before you buy. It could make for an interesting game night and help you avoid buying something that doesn't work for both of you. local convention?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Cheney
United Kingdom
derby
derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy playing San Juan with my bf, it is a good 2player as well as more being able to play with more. Plays for around the time you are looking for. Not too expensive either and easy to learn, much prefer it over Dominion.

also +1 Alhambra

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you enjoy Dominion, could use some more complexity and grew a bit tired of the base set, maybe instead of getting a new game get a Dominion expansion to shake things up? There are many available, if you played just the base game I think Prosperity, Seaside or Hinterlands could be a good choice for you. Each of them will make Dominion a bit more complex and add a lot of lifetime to the game till you know all cards back and forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy H
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Have you looked at Antike Duellum yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mullet
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really rate Fearsome Floors two player

The monster movement creates some randomness. Figuring out how the monster will move (and how to make it move to eat your opponents' pieces) adds some complexity. It takes next to no time to set up and fits within your timeframe. Was a bit put off by the theme before I played it to be honest, but when I tried it I immediately loved it. Hoping to play this weekend!

I'd second the earlier suggestion of Innovation too. Another game that fits your criteria that I love and am I'm hoping to play on Friday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Baker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going with the criteria listed, I would recommend Flying Frog Production's Fortune & Glory.

While the setup and take down times are heavier than a lot of the games suggested, FanG is my wife's favorite; she'll ask to play it at least twice a week. It is fabulous as a two-player and can be played competitively or co-op, whichever you prefer that day.

And if the Indiana Jones vs. the nazis theme isn't your cup of tea, perhaps FFP's A Touch of Evil might be up your alley. The game mechanics are very similar to Fortune & Glory, but the theme revolves around a Dark Shadows + Sleepy Hollow vibe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.