Subject: 'Abandon ship!!!' rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With high winds and 40C plus temperatures forecast it has been declared a day of extreme bushfire risk in my part of Australia today...this has got me thinking about which five games (5 only due to limited car space) from my collection I would take if we had to go at short notice...main (but not only) criteria of choice...replacability...

White Death

Crimea

Ardennes '44

The Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)

The Third World War...all 4 of them because they're always physically kept together and don't take up a lot space as a group (not much more than 3DoG)...

Imagine disaster is about to overtake you...which 5 of yours would you pick if given the time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piero
Italy
Florence
flag msg tools
Life and death come and go like marionettes dancing on a table. Once their strings are cut, they easily crumble.
badge
What we see now is like a dim image in a mirror. Then we shall see face to face.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would burn alive! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably these:

Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition
Fire in the East
Scorched Earth
Axis & Allies Naval Miniatures: War at Sea (the entire collection, which is luckily in two Plano boxes with handles!)
Space Hulk (third edition)

My main criteria for picking these five are that they represent the games that would be hardest/most expensive to replace, and that I'd still care to play. Most of the rest of my collection is either a) easily replaced, b) not played much anymore, or c) not yet played, and so I could let them burn! On the other hand, the five I picked probably have a value of something in the neighborhood of $2,500 and are all good games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a fire evacuation here in the Oakland (CA) hills a few years ago. Nothing ever came of it but while my wife was running around crazy grabbing stuff I calmly picked up 2 MtG decks and my cigar humidor. My son and I played Magic during the 5 hours spent at my mother in laws house before the FD gave the all clear. Even had time for a smoke.

(edit, forgot the game)

Up Front
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
-- Operation Crusader: possibly the penultimate Afrika Korps operational/grand tactical level war-game....

-- Streets of Stalingrad (third edition): an amazing game of rich color, filled with substantive lessons about the urban battle....

-- The Siege of Jerusalem (second edition): this is my favorite ancients game ever made (and practically irreplaceable).

-- Empires in Arms: the classic monster game on the Napoleonic wars (also practically irreplaceable).

-- The Devil's Cauldron: The Battles for Arnhem and Nijmegen: Probably my favorite monstergame of all time, ever. How much does this thing go for on e-bay these days? $500.00?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluessendorf
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
... that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin-
mbmbmbmbmb

(because I had it professionally painted - my painting skills suck)

I think those should keep me busy for a while!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
As hard as it would be to give up my games, and my many other collections (books, movies, CDs, comics, historical items, Doctor Who stuff, family heirlooms, etc.), my first thought would be to rescue my dog (assuming that my roommate and his GF don't also need my help to escape).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would probably grab my WW1 naval miniatures & rules, dice collection, copies of Empires in Arms, VG The Civil War, and AH Gunslinger (because those boardgames are out of print). But that would mean that thousands of dollars of other miniatures would get melted down. I shudder at the thought...

soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade Hyett
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Watching
mbmbmbmbmb
World in Flames

This would not only be appropriate for the setting but would also count for all five games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I wish you luck, hopefully you won't have to evacuate.

I would take

Combat Commander: Europe & Combat Commander: Mediterranean, they're both packed in a travel bag already.

My meager Magic:TG collection, which I have packed in the bag I take to my regular game group.

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 for solo play.

Here I Stand

Twilight Struggle, not positive on this one, I love it, but I could swap it out for Fighting Formations or Unhappy King Charles just as easily.

These, cover the gamut for me, All are games I love or really enjoy. Here I stand or Virgin Queen, will meet the I want to play but am Unlikely to find a willing group of sufficient size.
CC:E is a game I can solo, but am always lookign for a new partner.
RAF has two seperate solo games and a 2 player option. Here I stand also has a 2 player option, Bonus!
And M:TG is something that most people have played and is very easy to teach, can handle varying size groups and is for the most part, fun.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yikes! Save the high dollar items, or the sentimental favorites?

Guess I would grab:

Then I'd send the wife back in through the flames for:

Where Eagles Dare
Squad Leader
La Bataille de la Moscowa (third edition)
Carrier
And
The Battle for Normandy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Sager
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to take my classics:
PanzerBlitz
Panzer Leader
Tobruk
Squad Leader
Ambush
Civilization
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
temporarily Arlington VA
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
None, I'd get the hell out of Dodge. Wildfires scare the crap out of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew N (III)
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Really hard to pick just of of my CNS games, but if I had to, I think I'd go with The Sun of Austerlitz. The rest of my list of five, based mostly on cost/availability (but also on how much I like them), would be:

Axis Empires: Dai Senso!
Gaines Mill
History of the World
and
Horus Heresy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Eastern Pennsylvania Game Society
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:
With high winds and 40C plus temperatures forecast it has been declared a day of extreme bushfire risk in my part of Australia today...this has got me thinking about which five games (5 only due to limited car space) from my collection I would take if we had to go at short notice...main (but not only) criteria of choice...replacability...

White Death

Crimea

Ardennes '44

The Three Days of Gettysburg (third edition)

The Third World War...all 4 of them because they're always physically kept together and don't take up a lot space as a group (not much more than 3DoG)...

Imagine disaster is about to overtake you...which 5 of yours would you pick if given the time?

Why take just 5 ... When you can take them ALL!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
New England Patriots
badge
http://thegamebox.gamesontables.com/index.php
mbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ransom
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
There are two kinds of ships: Submarines, and Targets.
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:

"Women and OCS first!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd cheat:

War in Europe
PRESTAGS Master-Pack
Napoleon's Last Battles
Battles for the Ardennes
Across 5 Aprils

5 games, which can break down into 24.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd cheat too...

Wife looking in car boot...'Waaaaahhh..where are the family photos?!!!'

Me...'er..dunno..hey look!!..well I'll be..what a surprise!!!.. here are ALL my GMT games!!..it's a miracle!!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damo
Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Bushfires have been ongoing close by my area for a week or so. If a fire breaks out in my immediate area then I won't have the time to save luxury items. Women and children first.

If I have the chance for a mercy dash then I can pretty much fit them all into one car trip to store at a mates place.

The games in the mail will help begin my Next Generation games collection.

That leaves out most of the books though. Cr@p I'll have to tag the keepers tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Bushfires have been ongoing close by my area for a week or so. If a fire breaks out in my immediate area then I won't have the time to save luxury items. Women and children first.

If I have the chance for a mercy dash then I can pretty much fit them all into one car trip to store at a mates place.

That leaves out most of the books though. Cr@p I'll have to tag the keepers tonight.

You can't beat good contents insurance...stay safe down there...I know Tassie's getting it bad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Women and children first.

A good idea. You need the bearers and porters to lug your stuff. I reckon a pre-schooler can manage about three GMT-sized games, or a dozen VPG pouches.

(And yes, with three preschoolers here, I have mentally assigned kids to games. Deary me...)

Spare a thought for the poor 'Ameritrashers' with their boxes of bits - large families, good neighbours, or difficult choices for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
Australia
Coburg North
Victoria
flag msg tools
BOOM!
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:

Keep safe, the fact that Tassie is having such bad bushfires suggests that it's going to be a long hot summer all over Australia.

I have no idea what games I'ld take maybe ASL stuff and what ever's to hand. A part of me likes the idea of starting a collection from the ground up, I could be a LOT more selective this time around. (My wallet hates this idea!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clement Tey
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Moron Tom wrote:
PanzerBlitz
Panzer Leader
Tobruk
Squad Leader
Ambush
Civilization
Cheater listed 6 games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
Follow me if you want to play wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
princemousey wrote:
Moron Tom wrote:
PanzerBlitz
Panzer Leader
Tobruk
Squad Leader
Ambush
Civilization
Cheater listed 6 games.

But Civilization isn't a wargame. I say it stays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.