Australia
Hobart
Tasmania
flag msg tools
Look Up! Stay Alive!
badge
http://australianmuseum.net.au/Drop-Bear
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, you stay safe as well. It's going to be a long summer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
princemousey wrote:
Moron Tom wrote:
I'd have to take my classics:
PanzerBlitz
Panzer Leader
Tobruk
Squad Leader
Ambush
Civilization
Cheater listed 6 games.

But Civilization isn't a wargame. I say it stays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał M.
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrbeankc wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
princemousey wrote:
Moron Tom wrote:
I'd have to take my classics:
PanzerBlitz
Panzer Leader
Tobruk
Squad Leader
Ambush
Civilization
Cheater listed 6 games.

But Civilization isn't a wargame. I say it stays.

Bitch slap - The perfect solution for... Wargames!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prawn King
msg tools
mbmb
I would burn! -through indecision.

Would it be take the collectables, or take the playables? Or would it be take the old classics or the fashionable youngsters?

Ok, decisions, decisions, start the get-a-way car I am taking:-

Triumph of Chaos
The Killing Ground
Korsun Pocket
White Death
Atlantic Wall

I can replace the others, I hope!

Stay safe mate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Parkin
United Kingdom
Sunderland
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
British folk can play this game too (and much more safely), just substitute 'floods' for 'bushfires'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Citrom
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

That's all very interesting but kinda' disgusting. I'd go for my three kids first, obviously.

I figure each one can carry out another five games at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Oshawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would take a mix of games I have and have not played, with the main criterion being lots of replay value in a single box.

Have played:

Combat Commander: Europe plus CC: Med which I consider to be part of the same game
Up Front
EastFront
Paths of Glory

plus a game I have not yet played which promises many hours of gaming:
Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!

And I would probably try to squeeze in (to play with my wife)
Pandemic (yeah I know that makes six but my wife has room in her luggage too).
And a deck of cards...
And if there was any more space
The Korean War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be saving the OOP ASL stuff - West of Alemein, Armies of Oblivion and the boards that aren't in the map bundle. Everything else can burn and get replaced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Damjon wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
With high winds and 40C plus temperatures forecast it has been declared a day of extreme bushfire risk in my part of Australia today...this has got me thinking about which five games (5 only due to limited car space) from my collection I would take if we had to go at short notice...main (but not only) criteria of choice...replacability...

Imagine disaster is about to overtake you...which 5 of yours would you pick if given the time?

Bushfires have been ongoing close by my area for a week or so. If a fire breaks out in my immediate area then I won't have the time to save luxury items. Women and children first.

If I have the chance for a mercy dash then I can pretty much fit them all into one car trip to store at a mates place.

The games in the mail will help begin my Next Generation games collection.

That leaves out most of the books though. Cr@p I'll have to tag the keepers tonight.

We just had the insurance chap over for a review. the Old over under insured assessment. I decided after documenting with images all my games and books that I would just seek to re purchase what I could and leave to fate the rest. I'd literally just snag a couple of HDD's and roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hipshot wrote:
Damjon wrote:
Atraxrobustus wrote:
With high winds and 40C plus temperatures forecast it has been declared a day of extreme bushfire risk in my part of Australia today...this has got me thinking about which five games (5 only due to limited car space) from my collection I would take if we had to go at short notice...main (but not only) criteria of choice...replacability...

Imagine disaster is about to overtake you...which 5 of yours would you pick if given the time?

Bushfires have been ongoing close by my area for a week or so. If a fire breaks out in my immediate area then I won't have the time to save luxury items. Women and children first.

If I have the chance for a mercy dash then I can pretty much fit them all into one car trip to store at a mates place.

The games in the mail will help begin my Next Generation games collection.

That leaves out most of the books though. Cr@p I'll have to tag the keepers tonight.

We just had the insurance chap over for a review. the Old over under insured assessment. I decided after documenting with images all my games and books that I would just seek to re purchase what I could and leave to fate the rest. I'd literally just snag a couple of HDD's and roll.

Yes I had a glimpse of that scrub around your place Kev (chapparel..is that the correct term?)...I imagine it would go up pretty quick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
"possibly the penultimate Afrika Korps operational/grand tactical level war-game"

I do not think that 'penultimate' means what i think that you think that it means. It means 'next to last' and I am sure that there have been more than one such North Africa game since Op Crusader - and I hope that you mean the GDW one rather than the FGA abomination.

As to which five games I'd pick:

I'd cheat and take my entire ASL collection as one game;
Advanced Civ
Gettysburg '64 (my first wargame)
Wilderness War
Thunder at the Crossroads

Of course, it'd have to be a pretty leisurely sort of disaster to allow me to fetch out my entire ASL accumulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
None, I'd get the hell out of Dodge. Wildfires scare the crap out of me.

A man after my own heart ... I had to get things organized last week - and none made the cut - I was more concerned about communications gear and medications.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Live Long and Prospero
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
bactrian5 wrote:
We had a fire evacuation here in the Oakland (CA) hills a few years ago. Nothing ever came of it but while my wife was running around crazy grabbing stuff I calmly picked up 2 MtG decks and my cigar humidor. My son and I played Magic during the 5 hours spent at my mother in laws house before the FD gave the all clear. Even had time for a smoke.

I LOVE THIS! Excellent thinking. (I work with emergencies, and this is actually one of the things they suggest - making sure you have something TO DO when in an emergency shelter. Games, cards, etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
Getaklue wrote:

(because I had it professionally painted - my painting skills suck)

I think those should keep me busy for a while!

You'd need a wheelbarrow to haul those 5 around...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
Power Grid Fan
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomLetters wrote:
"possibly the penultimate Afrika Korps operational/grand tactical level war-game"

I do not think that 'penultimate' means what i think that you think that it means. It means 'next to last' and I am sure that there have been more than one such North Africa game since Op Crusader - and I hope that you mean the GDW one rather than the FGA abomination.

As to which five games I'd pick:

I'd cheat and take my entire ASL collection as one game;
Advanced Civ
Gettysburg '64 (my first wargame)
Wilderness War
Thunder at the Crossroads

Of course, it'd have to be a pretty leisurely sort of disaster to allow me to fetch out my entire ASL accumulation.

Entire ASL collection....

Not sure how you can abandon ship with a UHaul in tow...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Lewis
United States
O Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
With time to prepare, I'd pull out all rulebooks, charts, etc. for any game I could play via VASSAL. That bundle plus my laptop would be what got saved.

Lacking that time to prepare I would probably just grab as many of my Great Campaigns of the American Civil War games as I could.

Plus Small World for the simple reason I could play it with the 8 year old in the shelter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew J
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
Invicta
mbmbmbmbmb
Damjon wrote:
Thanks guys, you stay safe as well. It's going to be a long summer.

What's this word 'summer' mean? I don't recall using it in the last few years. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The games, alas, would stay behind. I'd grab my large format camera gear & my signed first edition hardback of The Traveller Book (the Traveller SF RPG) instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok - I thought of 2 that are probably not that easy to replace ...

This Hallowed Ground (unpunched), and DAK II (unpunched) - probably ought to dig those out -if for no other reason then for in case I need to flog them.

Wendell - were you there in Canberra in (I think 2003?) I remember a trip to Mt Stromlo a few years back and think they had photos of then - it looks like the entire town was going to go up.

(Not an exaggeration - as I understand it -the fire got into some timber plantations on the west of town that fed things into a fire storm.).

The photos ...

(then dummy me- figures- hey maybe they got some photos of that ...)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003_Canberra_bushfires
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe and Mediterranean ...just don't want to have to clip all those counters again

Panzer Grenadier: Elsenborn Ridge ...had to trade Strat-o-matic Pro Football cards to get a copy

Hearts and Minds: Vietnam 1965-1975 ...awesome game that's very difficult to find a copy these days

Lock 'n Load: A Ring of Hills ...too hard to find to leave behind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
southern_cross_116 wrote:

This Hallowed Ground (unpunched), and DAK II (unpunched) - probably ought to dig those out -if for no other reason then for in case I need to flog them.

Wendell - were you there in Canberra in (I think 2003?) I remember a trip to Mt Stromlo a few years back and think they had photos of then - it looks like the entire town was going to go up.

(Not an exaggeration - as I understand it -the fire got into some timber plantations on the west of town that fed things into a fire storm.).

No but I saw the aftermath and had a friend whose house was built on the site of one that had burned down in 2003. I also remember that terrible Saturday a couple of years ago when 173 people in Victoria died in those bushfires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trauth
Australia
Pretty much everywhere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
southern_cross_116 wrote:

No but I saw the aftermath and had a friend whose house was built on the site of one that had burned down in 2003. I also remember that terrible Saturday a couple of years ago when 173 people in Victoria died in those bushfires.

Oh yes, I remember that one pretty well - I had been through those areas I think that December down through Yea to Healesville ... remember the turn off to King Lake on (I think) the Ghoulburn Hwy (Ghoulburn Valley as opposed to the Ghoulburn near Canberra)... it reminded me a bit of the Black Hills back then ... (in the US) -talk about surreal.

Speaking of which -- hey Steve -I know your area a bit- it is bushy as anything -I guess at Batemans you go towards the water as an immediate sort of thing? However it might be a different thing if you live a bit outside of town.

For US people reading this -the infrastructure at times is not so intuitive- sure the Hume Hwy (in most of NSW and then again starting a bit north of Albury) can be sort of like an Interstate Hwy- but mostly you are talking 2 lane roads... some of the rural ones, don't necessarily have an outlet (iow -they can be dead ends.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Arthur
Australia
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I live south of Batemans right on the coast...the road into town has bush and houses along it and also passes through grassy open paddocks..the house backs onto dense bushland...I would probably head straight for the beach or the river both of which are only minutes away...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willows
United States
Woburn
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I didn't get notice. The flood came and took my collectables and games. I lost a lot.

Can't say that I've done a great job in rebuilding it over the last 18 months either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Roush
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Not too many of the games in my collection are 1) terribly expensive, or 2) out of print -- and given that the fiancee and I have three dogs, I'd have my hands full on evac already (although we could probably hitch a cart to our English mastiff and save my entire collection).

On the other hand, should I be sent (with five friends, so I'll never hurt for opponents) to set up a permanent colony on Mars, and I can only fit five games into the Mars Lander, I think I'd go with:

Paths of Glory (my favorite CDG)
SPQR Deluxe Edition (14 scenarios in one box? Yes, please.)
To The Green Fields Beyond (just got it Monday, and it already looks to be the best operational WW1 game in my collection)
Here I Stand (hey, it plays six, doesn't it?)
Twlight Struggle (so easy to teach, easy to set up and fun to play, how can I leave it behind?)

I guess I'll leave it to the Cosmonaut traveling with us to bring a copy of Case Blue.

(And though it would be apropos, I don't have a copy of Space Empires.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.