United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
All I make is junk.
badge
The Great Mysterio!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about trying to use this game to encourage play with some friends who don't tend to love Eurogames. If it's an easy learn, then they will be more likely to try out Agricola and stuff. This one has more interesting aesthetics than a lot of Euros, so I am encouraged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Ada
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I picked it up quickly. Watch a video review - it's a great little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think they'll like this if they don't like other Euros? It's a pretty decent game, but it's also pretty typical of a Euro. Is it really the look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Dunagan
United States
Cleveland
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Why do you think they'll like this if they don't like other Euros? It's a pretty decent game, but it's also pretty typical of a Euro. Is it really the look?

I second this. I like this game, but it doesn't stand out among typical euros IMO.

I think Agricola is a great choice as it is both thematic and easy to learn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthage wrote:
I second this. I like this game, but it doesn't stand out among typical euros IMO.

BTW, I actually think it's a good game, but I meant it's very "Euro".

Is the feeling that maybe the friends have only tried bad Euros?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Liang Teo
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milestones might be easier to get into. but village is not too difficult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
Merlin
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're trying to get friends into Euros I wouldn't play this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mb
I played it yesterday with three newcomers to board gaming and they loved it. The game really unfolds only at mid-game though, so if it seems confusing at the start, just keep going and it'll work out just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
If you're trying to get friends into Euros I wouldn't play this.

I agree, since there are so many possible actions to explain. ("Now, if you take a cube from the craft area, you have to choose which craft you want. There are two ways to pay. One requires a meeple, the other doesn't...)

That said, it seems from this topic that some have used Village as a gateway.

But if the OP is trying to get people to Agricola, Stone Age seems to be a more accessible gateway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Shay
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is fairly easy to teach and I taught it again yesterday.
There are a couple of details that are easy to overlook, though:
Family Members in black bag can't die.
Family Members in Council Chamber can take a benefit, without advancing, at no cost.
During the Mass, everyone gets a chance to buy family members from the black bag and then random draws are made so that at least 4 items are removed from the bag. More than 4 can come out of the bag, but only through purchases. It is possible that no random draws will be made.
Village is easy to get started with and very colorful. For experienced gamers, it can be a very tight contest with lots of choices. I don't think a dominant strategy has emerged.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Wilson
United States
Montgomery
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rmshay wrote:
During the Mass, everyone gets a chance to buy family members from the black bag and then random draws are made so that at least 4 items are removed from the bag. More than 4 can come out of the bag, but only through purchases. .

Hmm... I don't think that is correct.

From page 9 of the Rules:
Quote:
1. Thoroughly shuffle the family members and black monks in the black bag.
Then draw exactly 4 pieces from the bag, either at random or deliberately by
paying coins. Beginning with the starting player and then continuing in clockwise
direction, each player may pick one or more of their family members from
the bag by paying 1 coin per family member. (Since there are always 4 black
monks in the bag, this is the only way to make sure that your family members are
drawn.)
Once a total of 4 family members have been bought from the bag, no more pieces
may be drawn. Should fewer than 4 family members have been bought from the
bag, bring the total count up to 4 pieces by drawing the rest randomly.
Once you have drawn 4 pieces, return all black monks to the bag.
Place any family members drawn on the large rightmost glass window of the
church. Family members that are still in the bag remain there and may be drawn
during the next mass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pedro Pereira
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
See the person next to you? Kill! Kill!!! KILLL!!!!
badge
I'm your baby! Can you feel it?
mb
Speedyox wrote:
rmshay wrote:
During the Mass, everyone gets a chance to buy family members from the black bag and then random draws are made so that at least 4 items are removed from the bag. More than 4 can come out of the bag, but only through purchases. .

Hmm... I don't think that is correct.

From page 9 of the Rules:
Quote:
1. Thoroughly shuffle the family members and black monks in the black bag.
Then draw exactly 4 pieces from the bag, either at random or deliberately by
paying coins. Beginning with the starting player and then continuing in clockwise
direction, each player may pick one or more of their family members from
the bag by paying 1 coin per family member. (Since there are always 4 black
monks in the bag, this is the only way to make sure that your family members are
drawn.)
Once a total of 4 family members have been bought from the bag, no more pieces
may be drawn. Should fewer than 4 family members have been bought from the
bag, bring the total count up to 4 pieces by drawing the rest randomly.
Once you have drawn 4 pieces, return all black monks to the bag.
Place any family members drawn on the large rightmost glass window of the
church. Family members that are still in the bag remain there and may be drawn
during the next mass.

Brent's (an the rules for that matter) is right. You can ever only take 4 meeples out of the bag.

If the first player decided to buy his four meeples out of the bag (should he have 4 or more in it), all other players are skipped.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rmshay wrote:

Family Members in Council Chamber can take a benefit, without advancing, at no cost.

That's not quite correct, imho. You can use the privilege(s) but you at least have to pay one green cube or one scroll to use it. Time, however, will not be used in this case.

I would say that explaining the game to even non gamers will take 15 minutes max. Should not be longer. That is, if you have set the game up ready to dive right into it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Seattle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brettner wrote:
rmshay wrote:

That's not quite correct, imho. You can use the privilege(s) but you at least have to pay one green cube or one scroll to use it. Time, however, will not be used in this case.

English rules say (emphasis mine):
Rules wrote:
a) Take a family member from your farmyard and place him on the 1st stage of the council chamber. This costs 1 time and 2 green influence cubes OR 1 time and 1 scroll.
You may perform the privilege action of this stage (to become the next starting player).
OR
b) Move one of your family members already in the council chamber one stage forward. This again costs you either 1 scroll OR 2 green influence cubes. Additionally, you must pay either 2 or 3 time depending on the stage. You may perform the privilege action which is shown below either the current or a previous stage of your family member.
OR
c) If you already have at least one family member in the council chamber, then you may perform a privilege action without moving a family member. In this case, perform the privilege action shown below either its current or a previous stage for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Kaiser
Germany
Kriftel
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. Thanks. Seems that i mixed b) and c) a bit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some people have described this as a mid-level Euro game. I would totally disagree. This is a heavy and some what complicated Euro. Not for people new to these kind of games because the strategy here is extremely open ended and takes time to figure out. You don't want to play this with people who have high AP! The rules also seem to leave out subtle details, or just aren't super clear.

I think this game will get better with time and experience. Easy to understand if this game polarizes people's opinions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vfxtrev wrote:
Some people have described this as a mid-level Euro game. I would totally disagree. This is a heavy and some what complicated Euro. Not for people new to these kind of games because the strategy here is extremely open ended and takes time to figure out. You don't want to play this with people who have high AP! The rules also seem to leave out subtle details, or just aren't super clear.

I think this game will get better with time and experience. Easy to understand if this game polarizes people's opinions.

It is really a mid level euro. The gameplay is relatively straight. Examples of heavier euros would be Dungeon Lords and Terra Mystica, whose gameplay has much more layers than Village IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T S
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
freddieyu wrote:
vfxtrev wrote:

It is really a mid level euro. The gameplay is relatively straight. Examples of heavier euros would be Dungeon Lords and Terra Mystica, whose gameplay has much more layers than Village IMO.

Okay, I haven't played either of those. Village is definitely the heaviest I've played. But maybe it's more than that. I'll consider any game "heavy" or maybe I should say, "confusing" when you are first explaining the rules/game to new players and at almost every aspect of the game, the new players are asking, "why do I want to do that??" When first approached, Village strategy is hard to identify.

It hard to imagine someone being able to get 75+ victory points in this game. LOL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Robert Yu
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its achievable, especially with the expansion. Managed to get 80 using the Village Inn cards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
woosh ito
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game and played with my friends who usually like more casual games like King of Tokyo.

They all loved Village. It's not hard to learn, but it takes like half a hour to be explained. Once you get past that, it's all about fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pedrator wrote:
I played it yesterday with three newcomers to board gaming and they loved it. The game really unfolds only at mid-game though, so if it seems confusing at the start, just keep going and it'll work out just fine.

That makes a lot of sense.

We tried to play it this afternoon and it didn't survive past the first round. Everyone was complaining about the lack of influence cubes in order to do anything, and more than one suggestion was made that we should just play Agricola for this kind of game. In fact, that's exactly what happened.

If it takes a few turns before anything really happens it'd explain the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.