Subject: Has this been done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dominique DeMille
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
While driving home after a long trip a few months ago, my significant other and I hit upon a game based on driving through a horribly laid out city with turnarounds, ending lanes, and roadwork everywhere. after designing the mechanics, they seem so simple that we have to ask if this has been done before.

This is a rough draft of the gameplay, but it should (hopefully) be clear enough to answer our question.

Contents: 1 square board with 15 squares aross the board vertically and horizontally. 4 car pawns, start tile, 120 road tiles. (Tiles consist of straight ways, left turns, and right turns, with arrows indicating which is the entrance and exit.

The goal is to be the first to exit the crazy road system by reaching the edge of the board.

Each player starts in the center of the board and draws three tiles. They can play 1 tile a turn on themselves or another player, or they may discard a tile. They must do one of these actions, no holding onto tiles. As soon as a tile is placed in front of a pawn, the pawn moves onto the tile. Tiles can only be placed adjacent to a car pawn, with the entrance connecting to the exit of the currently occupied tile.

Once all players have no tiles, they all draw three again and play those out and continue until one of them wins. Tiles may be placed atop another tile as long as it follows rules regarding placement. You may not place a tile on top of an occupied tile.

You win if the end of the last tile your car has moved onto connects to and points at the edge of the board.

We've playtested and it's much more fast paced than my description may make it sound... We may be able to post video tomorrow for more feedback. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like reverse Tsuro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Lovett
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
supafrieke wrote:
Sounds like reverse Tsuro.

You took the words right off of my keyboard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminiscent of an old dungeon explorer where you layed tiles across a grid to chart out the dungeon. Forget what the name was though. Think it was a maybee 10x10 grid?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza Hadei
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it's more like Indigo, in that you're wanting to get your piece(s) off of the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first thought was London Cabbie Game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several video games like this, although the theme seems to usually involve laying pipes rather than roads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique DeMille
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Absolutely thank you for this! I haven't played any of those games before (we can't play them all unfortunately, can we?) I do feel like our game is different in that
1. You can lay tiles on top of each other
2. Once the car has moved onto the path, that part of the path won't be used again
3. Players can play 1 tile per turn on themselves or their opponents.

Here's the video of gameplay (http://youtu.be/QATkJEYxxpM) my husband made using a copy of our devlopment version. We don't have a name yet but in it's in-house development we call it Oklahoma Highways. If you've ever driven through OK you'll know why lol. There's always construction, you'll be driving on a six-lane highway and there will be 4 exits and the signs look like one road exits the way you want to go and suddenly your gps is telling you to turn around...

Again, I appreciate the feedback greatly. I think our mechanics are different enough to make this a unique game from other board games.

We recognize it's very similar to the video games where you lay down pipes. Actually when we made the game we started developing it as a competitive board game version of Pipedream, but obviously there would have been some problems with that and so it has a bit more freedom. Thoughts? Opinions? We enjoy playing the game as do our friends, but would somebody else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
driving through a horribly laid out city with turnarounds, ending lanes, and roadwork everywhere. after designing the mechanics, they seem so simple that we have to ask if this has been done before.

Washington D.C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Taylor
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Despite that it sounds similar to some games, I would play it. Sounds like a fun, light game I could play with the Mrs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
It does sound interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WHO IS MICHAEL BARNES? Why should BGG users care?
North Korea
Galt's Gultch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadstorm wrote:
DeMille wrote:
driving through a horribly laid out city with turnarounds, ending lanes, and roadwork everywhere. after designing the mechanics, they seem so simple that we have to ask if this has been done before.

Washington D.C.

My thought was Boston or Hartford - a gazillion one-way streets all winding around and going the way you don't want to go.shake Seems like a lot of expansion potential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hauger
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Reminded me of Turbo Taxi somewhat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarryd van Zanten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yup, Tsuro: but could still be different enough and interesting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza Hadei
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
Here's the video of gameplay (http://youtu.be/QATkJEYxxpM)
One question about that, right at the end, the orange car is moved, and the next turn purple can continue over.
BUT, could purple play a right turn, and go onto orange's track (probably behind orange because a card can't drive over another one)?
If a player made a long track, it might be a way to really move yourself along by joining it, or force another player to go further away if you force them to join another 'highway'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominique DeMille
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback again guys! And thanks for the video link! Definitely looks like a fun game and similar to ours but different enough I think to still count as two different games. If anyone would be interested in home testing I'll be happy to send you some pnp materials.

dezza wrote:
One question about that, right at the end, the orange car is moved, and the next turn purple can continue over.
BUT, could purple play a right turn, and go onto orange's track (probably behind orange because a card can't drive over another one)?
If a player made a long track, it might be a way to really move yourself along by joining it, or force another player to go further away if you force them to join another 'highway'

As far as this goes, if I'm understanding your question correctly, then I need to write out the rules better lol.

Essentially the path you HAVE traveled on does not matter. (But we didn't want you to be removing the tiles behind your car because at the end we want you to be able to see the convoluted paths on the board. Someone can not put their car on your path and move along it. You can only move onto a tile that has JUST been placed adjacent to the tile you are on, with your exit arrow connecting to it's entrance arrow.

Does that make sense?

The Grinch wrote:

Seems like a lot of expansion potential.

Yeah we actually have a lot of expansions thought of, including four ways and 3 different three ways right/left, straight/left, straight/right and obstructions like potholes. We also have an idea for an expert version using hexes which allows for more options and pathways!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
Thanks for the feedback again guys! And thanks for the video link! Definitely looks like a fun game and similar to ours but different enough I think to still count as two different games. If anyone would be interested in home testing I'll be happy to send you some pnp materials.

I'd be interested, I like these sorts of games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarryd van Zanten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Do you think, then, that it would be like playing Carcassonne with only road tiles and one cart that kept moving along the road (not saying that it's like Carcassonne, but just so I can picture it)?

I am liking the sound of it and would definitely print and try it out. meeple

Edit: actually, I just watched the video and it all makes sense and I like it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been quite a while since I played it, but I think Cape Horn is similar. (Also, I have not watched your video, so I may be totally wrong here).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Alquiza
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I think you should still go for it.
After all, driving is a common experience of most people -even kids appreciate auto games which is why Mario kart is hugely popular. It's all in the packaging. those other games don't have driving as a theme and automobiles.

draw really nice roads and feature really cool cars and you may have a winner.

--Rod

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dezza Hadei
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
Someone can not put their car on your path and move along it. You can only move onto a tile that has JUST been placed adjacent to the tile you are on

Gotcha.
I remember now the earlier example where if 'continuing onto an already built road' was allowed, you'd just keep going around in a circle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
As far as this goes, if I'm understanding your question correctly, then I need to write out the rules better lol.

Essentially the path you HAVE traveled on does not matter. (But we didn't want you to be removing the tiles behind your car because at the end we want you to be able to see the convoluted paths on the board. Someone can not put their car on your path and move along it. You can only move onto a tile that has JUST been placed adjacent to the tile you are on, with your exit arrow connecting to it's entrance arrow.

Does that make sense?

So if you wanted to take the same path as another car, and just happen to have all the same tiles, you would have to lay them over the other road, correct?

What happens if all the tiles are used up and no one made it to the edge? Everyone ran out of gas and have to stay the night in the city?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Smith
United States
New Orleans
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DeMille wrote:
The Grinch wrote:

Yeah we actually have a lot of expansions thought of, including four ways and 3 different three ways right/left, straight/left, straight/right and obstructions like potholes. We also have an idea for an expert version using hexes which allows for more options and pathways!

I would consider making those "expansions" part of the base game.

Tsuro is ~interesting because of the complexity of the multiple paths that are created/extended when placing only 1 tile. With a simple Left-Straight-Right option each turn, I think players may become bored with their choices.

I find the easiest way to create ~interesting choices, is to implement a simple set of rules along with a few basic mechanisms for breaking the rules.

You've got the basics: Draw three, play one, play one, play one. Draw three, play one... until someone reaches the edge and wins.

Now, break the rules:
1) Give each player a gas token and allow them to take multiple turns in a row by discarding a gas token?

2) Color code each road and allow construction of multiple road sections of the same color (construction crew theme)?

3) Tokens that allow the player to immediately draw X tokens and discard X tokens to get the hand you want (GPS)?

4) As you mentioned: Pot holes, Flat tires, empty tank tokens for "take that" style play?

5) Cars with special abilities: Off-road Car lets your car exit a tile on the "wrong" side; Sports Car lets your car move along already played straight sections; Family Sedan increases the max hand limit to 4 tokens; and so on...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarryd van Zanten
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
supafrieke wrote:
DeMille wrote:
The Grinch wrote:

I would consider making those "expansions" part of the base game.

Tsuro is ~interesting because of the complexity of the multiple paths that are created/extended when placing only 1 tile. With a simple Left-Straight-Right option each turn, I think players may become bored with their choices.

I find the easiest way to create ~interesting choices, is to implement a simple set of rules along with a few basic mechanisms for breaking the rules.

You've got the basics: Draw three, play one, play one, play one. Draw three, play one... until someone reaches the edge and wins.

Now, break the rules:
1) Give each player a gas token and allow them to take multiple turns in a row by discarding a gas token?

2) Color code each road and allow construction of multiple road sections of the same color (construction crew theme)?

3) Tokens that allow the player to immediately draw X tokens and discard X tokens to get the hand you want (GPS)?

4) As you mentioned: Pot holes, Flat tires, empty tank tokens for "take that" style play?

5) Cars with special abilities: Off-road Car lets your car exit a tile on the "wrong" side; Sports Car lets your car move along already played straight sections; Family Sedan increases the max hand limit to 4 tokens; and so on...

This, this, this and this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, one situation that wasn't addressed, what happens if two cars meet face to face? aka their roads point at each other. Is there an accident? since it has a screw your neighbors mindset, I can easily see this happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.