Fortress America» Forums » Sessions

Subject: America Sues For peace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Hi fellow gamers! My name is Ray Shipp.
For Christmas just gone I treated myself to Fortress America 2nd Edition. This is a session report between me and my daughter Kaylee (15 years old), being the third game played and the 2nd between us. Last time I won as America, lasting the 10 turns. This time I would play my first game as the invaders (all three) and my daughter would attempt to defend the great nation. We played the variant where the invaders could use the reinforcement cards if they wished.

Set Up
My daughter set her forces up in fairly traditional fashion, willing to sacrifice western and southern coastal cities and reinforce the mid west and north east. Despite this, as we'll see, the Western cities defended themselves fairly well in the early turns.

TURN ONE

Western Invader

The Asian Confederacy was able to take Portland, but the US held Los Angeles, San Francisco and Seattle with very limited resources. The dice gods were against me!

Southern Invader

South America took Phoenix but the US held San Diego, San Antonio and Houston. Not in my plans at all!

Eastern Invader

It was actually the European coalition that performed best in turn one, capturing Miami and the US capital Washington DC! The president must have fled before then as the US kept on fighting. The US did hold Tampa against the odds.

The USA

A laser is placed in Minneapolis. The US gained reinforcements near Seattle (via 'Resistance grows in the West') and both Portland and Washington DC lose some military units courtesy of 'Legions of Liberty make Coordinated attack'. No cities are retaken this turn.

SUMMARY OF GAME SITUATION AFTER TURN ONE

Overall Turn One was a victory for the US as it held many cities that were lightly defended, although I did take the capital which was a city that is usually harder to get. CITIES: US 26 Invaders 4.

TURN TWO

Western Invader

The Western Invader accepted all 8 reinforcements this turn, however unbelievably the US once again successfully held the lightly defended San Francisco and Los Angeles as well as the now heavily fortified Seattle. The west had penetrated further inland however towards Las Vegas.

Southern Invader

The South also reinforced with 8 military units but was only slightly more successful, capturing San Diego, although they were now threatening Los Angeles. Once again the US fought off attacks against San Antonio and Houston but defenses were finally weakening.

Eastern Invader

In the East, backed by 8 reinforcements, Tampa fell easily and Philadelphia just avoided meeting the same fate. Atlanta repelled the invaders assault.

The USA

A laser is placed in Milwaukee. Partisans sprang from the ground in the Plains via 'Wheatfield Thrashers' and in the mountains in the East courtesy of 'Eagle's Nest'.However no sorties of any substance were issued as yet.

SUMMARY OF GAME SITUATION AFTER TURN TWO

Once again I was disappointed with the West and South Invading Forces, although I knew that eventually these coastal cities would fall. Also I knew that the US hadn't manouvered many reinforcements to what would become the key cities such as St Louis, Memphis, Colorado Springs etc, so I wasn't overly worried at this stage. CITIES: US 24 Invaders 6.

TURN THREE

All 3 Invading Forces took 8 reinforcements this turn.

Western Invader

San Francisco, then Los Angeles finally fell this turn, although Seattle resisted successfully for a third time. The forces however were prepared to engage Las Vegas next turn and were approaching Salt Lake City. My stocks were improving rapidly here.

Southern Invader

The Southern Invader without the need to assist in the assault on Los Angeles, turned its full military might on the key city of Colorado Springs which withered into submission. San Antonio also fell but Houston bravely held on for a third time. The south mobilized towards Dallas and Denver.

Eastern Invader

The European forces began their advance inland to the mountains and north and east from Florida. Atlanta was invaded and taken this turn but Philadephia was defended in a tense struggle.

The USA

A laser is placed in Detroit. The US also recieves a laser in Colorado Springs but this is belated and is taken and destroyed by the enemy. US refugees spring up in the Rocky's and move to reinforce Denver from imminent attack. A few non city attacks were launched. Laser attacks were not proving as accurate as the US scientists had hoped.

SUMMARY OF GAME SITUATION AFTER TURN THREE

This was a key turning point in the game for the invaders. With Colorado Springs gone, coastal cities finally falling as they should and central cities which were lightly defended being approached, the US needed a good Turn four. CITIES: US 19 Invaders 11.

TURN FOUR

The South and East both reinforced with 8 military units this turn.

Western Invader

The Western Invader only took 5 reinforcements and developed the ability to further disrupt US Lasers in San Francisco with refractive armour on their helicopters and bombers. Las Vegas fell on this turn but both Seattle and Salt Lake City repelled the invaders.

Southern Invader

Houston finally collapsed this turn in the south which spent this turn surrounding Dallas and advancing on New Orleans and St Louis. The south also reinforced his gains to withstand civil unrest.

Eastern Invader

The East advanced on Memphis and towards the Mid West. Philadephia was assaulted again but the US held more comfortably this time.

The USA

A laser was built in Chicago. Detroit's automotive industry sprang into action while small rebel groups raid the Southern Countryside east of Dallas.US launches counter-strikes in the Eastern Mountains stalling scouting forays towards Pittsburg.

SUMMARY OF GAME SITUATION AFTER TURN FOUR

The invaders were beginning to open the door to victory, although I was well aware about how hard it can be to get those last couple of cities. Key cities were ready to be torn asunder however. The US was in need of divine intervention with reinforcements placed near St Louis, Memphis and Salt Lake City. CITIES: US 17 Invaders 13

TURN FIVE

Only the East reinforced with 8 military units this turn.

Western Invader

'Mountain Passes' card was taken but not played as the requirement of Salt Lake City was not met until it was successfully acquired during this turn. Seattle held on valiantly for the 5th consecutive time! An amazing feat, however its resources were almost exhausted. The West began the advance into the Rocky Mtns.

Southern Invader

Key moments came in the Southern Invader's turn when the South took the US lasers off line temporarily. They took full advantage by sweeping Dallas and New Orleans aside and in a major coup took St Louis on the first attempt! The invaders victory was near at hand.

Eastern Invader

The invaders only blunder came on this turn, which could've secured the entire US for an invasion victory on Turn Five! With only one city to go and the Eastern Forces on a lightly defended Cleveland's doorstep, the Russian General unaccountably lost his nerve and failed to launch an attack here!! Instead, both Memphis and Philadephia were assaulted and comfortably repelled. Only afterwards was the general's folly revealed by the enemy, much to his chagrin. A firing squad was sent to repay the debt.

The USA

A laser is erected in Boston. The NRA organised a rebel training camp in the Rockys but the significant hardware wasn't available. Oil supply stations were successfully attacked. The Eastern Invader's mistake was compounded when Colorado Springs was retaken by a sortie launched from Denver. Cleveland and other Mid Western cities were fortified.

SUMMARY OF GAME SITUATION AFTER TURN FIVE

The invaders had managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, but those jaws were still all too near for US Player's liking. Seattle and Memphis were teetering and the mountain cities could also go. The Invaders took the lead for the first time. The US took out quite a few units with lasers this turn. CITIES: Invaders 16 US 14

TURN SIX

Only the South reinforced with 8 military units this turn.

Western Invader

The Western Invader used the 'Will to Conquer' card to FINALLY capture Seattle. Even with this added assistance, it was close. What a brave city. Western forces had surged over the Rockys into the Plains beyond, within reach of Minneapolis and Milwaukee.

Southern Invader

The Southern Invader with its pride hurt, attempted to regain Colorado Springs and take Denver as well. Civilian fighters resisted both attempts valiantly.

Eastern Invader

The East set Washington on fire as victory neared, looting and burning the White House. The US would not receive any reinforcements this turn which would prove to be crucial. Consequently Memphis fell to Europe crossing the 18 city watermark for victory, but this had to be maintained to the end of the US Player,s turn. Both Pittsburg and Philadelphia were comfortably held but it seemed to be to no avail as the nation appeared doomed.

The USA

In a last desperate attempt, US Freedom Fighters sallied forth from Philadelphia and surrounding areas against Washington in an attempt to avert disaster. Despite sending forth a sizeable force, the US utterly failed and Washington DC remained in Russian hands!What remains of the US desperately sues for peace. INVASION VICTORY!

GAME SUMMATION

In short the US Player ( my daughter) lost this game between Turns 1-3, due to not manouvering her forces to defend the central cities that would matter most-she had bought the time by defending coastal cities early on. Poor dice rolls and laser hits didn't help, although I had my problems with this at the beginning, so this wasn't the decisive factor. I made a blunder on Turn Five but it was late enough to not prevent victory. A thoroughly enjoyable game that kept us enthralled and entertained. We have been proud to share this report with you. Please send us comments, thoughts and strategy suggestions.
Cheers Ray Shipp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Baldwin
United States
Daytona
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the invaders had rounded up all the lawyers and executed them, the US would not be able to sue for peace!

Great session report!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Moskaluk
Canada
Guelph
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a similar game of Fortress America recently that I also lost on the sixth turn as the U.S.A. The final battle of the game also took place in Washington D.C. The one difference in our game was that it was a do or die situation for both sides. If the U.S.A. retook the city the Eastern Invaders were done for and would have been too weak to pose a threat beyond the eastern seaboard again.

I had my laser network blinded by the western invaders on the last turn which did not help. The reds had one unit left in the city and I missed with a white and blue dice roll. The entire game literally came down to the last roll..

For this game we allowed the invading bombers to land back in invasion zones to get protection from lasers. Totally a house rule but the invader player was a rookie. Honestly it seemed like a fair way to balance the game especially considering how it ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Shipp
Australia
flag msg tools
Our previous game, when I was America was also very close. I've heard this occurs often in Fortress America. A great game!
Cheers Ray

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For this game we allowed the invading bombers to land back in invasion zones to get protection from lasers. Totally a house rule but the invader player was a rookie.

As far as I'm aware, the Invader zones are no different from any other zone in the game except they start out as controlled by the Invaders and the US cannot conquer them. However, the Invaders are allowed to move back into the Invader zones (or at least I haven't found any passages in the rulebook which states otherwise). The US is allowed to Laser the zones normally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Zachary
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A daughter who plays war games. You, sir, are doubly blessed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.