Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Colombian drug kingpins are in a bit of a jam and we're asking you to help us out of it. We won't forget who our friends were.

Ok, situation is this: Brand new at the game, playing in a 4-player Vassal game. I'm pretty lost in what I actually need to be doing turn to turn. Usually I have no problem sort of fumbling my way forward and learning through trial and error.

But Farc has just spent a powerful turn terrorizing + extorting around the board, and now stand with Opposition + Bases at 29. We've yet to even reach the first Propaganda card and it should be coming soon.

It is my turn to act.

I've been sort of off doing my own thing and not getting involved in the political struggles. I have two decent groups of guerrillas in Cali and Putumayo-Caqueta. They are all active because my last turn was spent Attacking some of the threats in those spaces. I have some random, less protected, bases about the board that I was planing on Processing this turn.

But now am feeling like I need to step up and help make a stand against the FARC or the game really could end much too quickly.

As far as I can tell I have three options available.

- I have the event for the Misil Antiaereo card available, and can lay-up the Government with 3 fee Special Activities, which I'm assuming he would use to Eradicate, which would harm me directly but certainly be able to impact FARC's wealth of opposition more significantly than I can.

-I only have one space with underground guerrilla's, which is Meta West at active opposition x2.
I could spend a Terror action there to bring opposition down 1 level, affecting FARC's lead by a whopping 1 point (Can I even do that with a Terror Marker already there?)

- Or should I get two shipments out there, then use Ship actions in the next few turns, giving the limited OPs to other factions who should be able to make a bigger impact on FARC than I can?

If there is some move that I'm missing, something else I could do in this spot to hurt Farc, please let me know.

Or, is the play to just go about my buisness, get these bases sold off and leave the mess to someone a little more invested in the struggle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
The amount of Terror markers in a space doesn't matter. You can Terror even if there is already a terror marker there.

Donn't forget about Bribe if you have the Special Activity option, because it is up to any 3 spaces, you can remove bases with Bribe and and that with Terror for the turn should make a dent, just make sure the other players jump in and help to knock FARC around.

But if you are not in a lot of spaces with FARC then that will be hard to do. In the future, Cartels need to stay close to FARC, so they can knock them them around when they need to, and Cartels also need to stay kind of close to Government spaces as well, because the Govt will Eradicate your bases and if you are close to their Support spaces they will have to suffer the side effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Antley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
My personal blog :: http://peasantmuse.com
badge
The Woodsman- Ivan Kramskoy, 1874
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
But Farc has just spent a powerful turn terrorizing + extorting around the board, and now stand with Opposition + Bases at 29. We've yet to even reach the first Propaganda card and it should be coming soon.

Ruh-roh. If you've let FARC surge this quickly in the beginning of the game, it can be difficult to reign them back in due to a Government that is ill-equipped with special abilities or sufficient troop/police counts on the board. As the Cartels player, you should always keep an eye on the FARC and make sure you have guerrillas placed to execute a timely 'Terror' when needed.

First off, I don't think I've ever attacked as the Cartels player. Without Ambush, (not to mention the low number of total Cartels guerrillas available) it's just too hard to get 5 or 6 guerrillas in one spot in order to give yourself a reasonable chance of success and still build/protect your own bases. Plus, attack flips all you're guerrillas active - which means they can't conduct terror without first being flipped back to underground.

The Cartels does best when it slinks around the board, not concentrating its numbers in one or two departments. By mid game, you should have a nice split of bases in the departments and the cities- Eradicate is powerful, so you have to present the Government with tough choices in terms of where to spend their actions.

In your situation, I agree with Gordon; use your bribe ability to take bases off the board and position your guerrillas via rally (remember, Cartels can rally *anywhere* on the board- opposition/support doesn't matter) into departments where the FARC has built opposition. Then you can Terror these departments and put pressure on FARC to respond.

Make deals with other players- it would be very short-sighted for the Govt to use their '3 free actions' to eradicate your bases when FARC is about to win. Help AUC get into positions to Assassinate, either by using Bribe to flip their guerrillas underground after they've marched into FARC held departments, or give them resources via transfer or Shipments so that they can carry out their campaigns without need to focus on 'extortion' for money.

Here's a thought- you could make 'shipments' and then use them to conduct multiple terrors (via their 'lim op' special ability) once you've placed your guerrillas in key spots.

It takes time to figure out when you should be 'dormant' and when you should be 'active' in keeping other players down. Good luck with your current game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bedard
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gordon, Jeremy, thanks a bunch!

Great advice, that has really helped me have a better overall view of what I'm trying to do out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Volko Ruhnke
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that you can Bribe anywhere (as Gordon notes), and use it to remove Bases even if they are defended by Guerrillas. If you have a Special Activity option and 9 Resources you are willing to spend, 3 FARC Bases just evaporated.

And you can combine Bribe with any type of Op, to Terror Opposition where you are or Rally at Opposition to set up Terror next eligibility.

Govt Eradication would help not hurt FARC's Opposition score, so Govt would be foolhardy to do that now. If any FARC Bases are exposed to Air Strike however...

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
Foster City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a more mid-term point, if you can prevent the FARC from winning you may be in a good position for the next campaign or two. I've found a weak and resource poor Government is an excellent environment to thrive in as the Cartel.

Depending on how aggressively FARC is using the Kidnap special action against you, you may want to consider cultivating your bases out of the departments you share with FARC, and setting up base in Government cities in the north or other areas that are ideally 1) far away from FARC, 2) have a low police presence, 3) set you up for profiting from Narco subs and other cards.

The idea is that hopefully the Government is going to be too preoccupied with fighting FARC to have time to turn their attention to wiping you out of their cities. Promising the Government you won't terror in their cities unless they are close to winning may also help. "I'm a businessman. Using my actions for terror doesn't help me win."

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have found that to be an interesting tactic as the Cartels to set up shop in the cities, as Govt won't use Eradicate (probably), and will have to waste resources sending Troops to cities to Sweep and Assault, which is in essence, a backward step for the Govt since they will have to be fighting in spaces they should already have in control. Govt can't be everywhere in all the cities, there are always a few cities ripe for the picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
patton55 wrote:
Yes, I have found that to be an interesting tactic as the Cartels to set up shop in the cities, as Govt won't use Eradicate (probably...

Gov't can't Eradicate in cities (only departments); city folk don't take too kindly to their property being dusted by the government!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh thats right.

That's what I love about this game there is a lot of strategy and tactics you can use, and then once you have mastered one faction, you still have three more to go. I still think Government is very hard to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.