Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any other solo train games besides Silverton and Circus Train?

Also is Silverton worth the purchase for solo only? And should I wait for the possible Deluxe Edition of Circus Train or just get it now?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In Snowdonia you are constructing the Snowdon Mountain Railway.
Not sure if that counts as a train game in your books, but it's a lot of fun to play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any of the Mayfair Crayon Rail Games games can be played solo. Just try to hit the game-ending dollar amount in the fewest number of turns.

How can you track your turns? Pretty easy since you can just write them directly on the board, using your crayon. I have played over 50 solo sessions this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Not sure if that counts as a train game in your books, but it's a lot of fun to play solo.

This is what I was thinking. Havent played but can't wait for it to get stateside
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
riddlen wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

This is what I was thinking. Havent played but can't wait for it to get stateside

FYI - Snowdonia is in stock at Funagain (http://www.funagain.com/control/product?product_id=026344)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brocker
United States
Gilbert
AZ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bindle Rails is a solo PnP that's pretty interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Submit your soul in triplicate to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
Bindle Rails and Bindle Rails Express can be played solo.

Edit: ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1829 Mainline is an 18XX that can be played solo. It has a solitaire-like card tableau from which you can purchase stock from. This forces the player to use different approaches each game. After about 10 plays it did get to feel samey. So far, I haven't tried this with other 18XX games, but it should be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also take a look at these Soloplay variants:
Ticket to Ride Soloplay variant
Empire Builder Soloplay variant
Transamerica Soloplay variant
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks y'all!

Kevin, do you have a recommendation for which Crayon Rail game plays best solo? Being good for 2 is also a huge plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Butterfly0038 wrote:
1829 Mainline is an 18XX that can be played solo. It has a solitaire-like card tableau from which you can purchase stock from. This forces the player to use different approaches each game. After about 10 plays it did get to feel samey. So far, I haven't tried this with other 18XX games, but it should be possible.

This looks great! I have been wanting to get into the 18XX series but I dont have anyone who wants to dedicate the time it takes to learn and play. If only it was more readily available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Submit your soul in triplicate to
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmb
You can find the computer version of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons if you just want to get a grasp of the basics in an easily managed environment, and believe me, it can be necessary!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert Hernandez
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
The show on solitaire boardgaming.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few Age of Steam/Steam maps that play solo, but I wouldn't necessarily get the base game just for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Butterfly0038 wrote:

This looks great! I have been wanting to get into the 18XX series but I dont have anyone who wants to dedicate the time it takes to learn and play. If only it was more readily available.

If you haven't played an 18XX before, this may not be the best one to start with. It has some VERY strange rules (read: different from the other 18XXs) and you will have to unlearn all of them before playing almost any other 18XX.

Honestly, you might be better off picking up 1830 and using 1829 Mainline's solo ruleset to play 1830 solo. I think the 1829 Mainline rules are available online; otherwise, GM me and I can explain the solo variant to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jimmy! Ill keep that in mind. Its much easier to find 1830 too so its a more likely and logical option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stemcider wrote:
Kevin, do you have a recommendation for which Crayon Rail game plays best solo? Being good for 2 is also a huge plus.

I have only played Eurorails, Russian Rails, and Empire Express.

Empire Express is the outlier of the entire series, as it is a smaller and faster game than the rest, plus has a few additional streamlined rules. It's a perfect introduction to crayon rails, partly because you can finish in 75 minutes even with 3 newbies (and one teacher who knows the game). It is the only game in the series that I'm willing to play with 4 players, since the others tend to take more than an hour per new player. Many feel that EE is not as interesting in the long haul, which I can see, but I have played it over 50 times, mostly solo, and I'm not tired of it yet.

From what I can tell, most of the rest of the games in the series would be about equally good solo or with 2 players. The Japan board is supposed to be highly competitive, so you would lose that aspect solo. Some of the boards are bigger (more epic). Many have some twist, whether the "fall of communism" event in Russian Rails, or sandstorms, or dry riverbeds, or whatever.

Some people prefer to play on boards where they already know the geography, while others prefer to play on boards where they can learn about another country, and others prefer playing on the moon or Mars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the response!

I noticed you just put up a session report for a solo play of Russian Rails. How appropriate! Ill be reading that shortly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven McBride
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I pulled the trigger on Silverton. The fact that its designed for solo play, has postive reception as a solo, its got a nice, long game length, and that I could get it for less than Circus Train, sold me.

I will be looking into 1830 as my next purchase, after some research into the solo rules. Thanks all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hobie
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kaffedrake wrote:
You can find the computer version of 1830: Railways & Robber Barons if you just want to get a grasp of the basics in an easily managed environment, and believe me, it can be necessary!

Thoroughly agree! I was thinking of purchasing 18EZ but high price vs free (and rules enforcement) computer version made it a no brainer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.