Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband and I played Gloom with the Unhappy Homes Expansion. I played Castle Slogar and he played the new family from Unhappy Homes called Le Canard Noir. I wasn't expecting to do well because, well, I've never won at Gloom. But I keep playing because I love my husband's storytelling abilities. Mine are bearable, with some moments of brilliance, but it usually just comes out odd, like my story about Grogar who’s a teddy bear with a brain implanted in his exposed head.

I started off with him being lonely in Castle Slogar and wanting to find friends. So he went out and found some kids playing, but the kids were mean to him and called him names like brain bear and started chasing him as they mocked him. Thus he was mocked by midgets.

On a later turn, he escaped the midgets with an invite from a cute little girl who wanted to play tea. So he went inside with her, but her concept of tea time was rather twisted as she started cuddling inappropriately with him. He squirmed out of her grasp and ran outside. The kids were outside and heard the girl calling after him to come back and play with her. Thus he was scarred by scandals.

Then, having enough of living people, he went to the abandoned part of town where people feared to go. It was quiet and peaceful. A strange bobbing light caught his eye in a window. He went up to the door and was going to go in when he remembered his manners. He knocked and the door slowly opened to reveal several ghosts. Thus he was greeted by ghosts.

My husband played a positive modifier, an unpleasant surprise, in which he realized that the ghosts weren’t so bad as companions, and it removed the last modifier I had played. Then he played another positive card so he ended up having a picnic in the park with the ghosts. (So much for my progress in making Grogar have a miserable day).

But I came back with Grogar wanting to swim in the pond, but this pond was an unusual one for it was inhabited by all sorts of odd creatures, much thanks to scientific experiments and magical spells gone wrong. While the ghost flitted in and out of the water, Grogar splashed about and attracted a manatee. Thus he was mauled by a manatee.

Finally, the ghosts helped poor Grogar to land and helped ease his pains with drink. The ghosts rather liked Grogar and wanted him to stay with them forever. So they told him story after story while keeping him fully supplied with alcohol. Thus, Grogar drank too much rye and died.

Grogar’s story got very weird at times and wasn’t nearly as good as my husband’s. I wish I had recorded his stories because I was so engrossed in what he was saying that I can’t remember all the wonderful details and twists he told.

I do remember at one point he let me choose how to end one of his characters since he had three death cards and couldn’t decide which one to use. I chose disappeared in a fog. He took his person, who was wandering the streets, into a gymnasium. This startled me because I couldn’t figure out where he was going with it. He went into elaborate detail on how he was signed up for a fitness coach who put him through the ringer – a routine that would make a torturer smile. When he was done, his muscles ached and he was sweaty. The attendant suggested he take a shower and then use the sauna. The shower refreshed him and into the sauna he went. But being a thing of skin and bones, he quickly disappeared in the fog.

Now that’s the condensed version, but to hear my husband tell is such a thing to hear with how he can do different voices and inflections and range of emotions. If radio storytelling were still a thing, he’d have a secure job there. Just don’t let him do war of the worlds.

Moving on, I'm not sure that the Unhappy Homes made much difference. I was able to get one mystery out, but he got rid of it fairly quickly. He also played a mystery, one that could be discarded to prevent an event, which he did to stop me from taking one of his characters out of the game. I do think some of the other cards, modifiers and events, were played as I didn't recognize some cards. So my tentative evaluation of Unhappy Homes is that it is a good addition to refresh the game as I was starting to become very familiar and redundant using some cards.

Somehow I managed to play better cards and won 125 to his 110. He definitely won on the storytelling, though, so I thoroughly congratulated him. In the end, I'm looking forward to playing again, adding in another expansion as we have 2 more to go.

On a side note, when I told my husband that I really enjoyed Gloom because of his storytelling, he suggested that some time we play it slightly different, since he could tell how much I was struggling to come up with stories. We’d forgo playing to win and focus on the storytelling. He’d pick five people and a residence, not necessarily all connected. Then I’d pick some cards and play them in the order that I want and challenge him to come up with the story as I choose cards. This variant might be of interest to others who also love the storytelling aspects more than the actual gameplay. When we do this, I’ll be sure to post how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
that's a neat idea at playing to his strength and you getting to hear the story
It's great that you two like to game together
I'm really happy for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scout13 wrote:
that's a neat idea at playing to his strength and you getting to hear the story
It's great that you two like to game together
I'm really happy for you

Thanks! I certainly feel like one lucky gal to have found my husband. He's all sorts of great that I sometimes don't feel that I deserve. I really enjoy playing games with him, but he definitely is better at most games than I so when it comes to Gloom, I'd just as soon hear the story than try to be competitive in playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite parts of the Unhappy Homes expansion are the cards that just expand the ones from the original game--not the mysteries, in other words--and the added family at Le Canard Noir. I'm happy to leave the houses and mysteries out completely--just be aware that a couple of the new cards require the residences, so you'll want to weed them out.

If you like storytelling, you should check out Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game for a more traditional fairy tale-like experience. If you want to make that game more Gloom-y, you can add Once Upon a Time: Dark Tales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fuldhim wrote:
My favorite parts of the Unhappy Homes expansion are the cards that just expand the ones from the original game--not the mysteries, in other words--and the added family at Le Canard Noir. I'm happy to leave the houses and mysteries out completely--just be aware that a couple of the new cards require the residences, so you'll want to weed them out.

If you like storytelling, you should check out Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game for a more traditional fairy tale-like experience. If you want to make that game more Gloom-y, you can add Once Upon a Time: Dark Tales.

I think I'm with you on the new regular cards, but not so much the residences. I'll have to remember to take out the residence specific cards if we don't include them and the mysteries.

That reminds me that I have a copy of Once Upon a Time from years ago. My aunt bought it for me. It was one of the first non-traditional card games I ever played. I'll have to dig it out and play it again, and add it to my collection here. I'll have to look for the expansion too. Thanks for the reminder!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melz Smitz
msg tools
fuldhim wrote:

I have expeditions and unhappy homes and unwanted guests.

I usually take out expeditions completley, havent played with any advanced enough players yet. Unhappy homes has great modifiers and I use the houses to base/aid my story but I take out the action cards. Recently played with unwanted guests, I actually really like that one and used the extra family members.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.