Subject: A discussion on promos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Elfington
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
I think it's pretty well agreed on that chasing promos is a pain, especially if the publisher has a hard time keeping them in stock for those of us unable to attend cons etc. Instead of putting out unique promos, what if they simply used alternate art instead? Or even the same art, but added something else like foil to it?

What do you guys think?

Poll
Promos... gotta have 'em all!
Unique promos are fine, rarity FTW
No unique effects, but different art is cool
No unique effects or art, foil all the way
You've completely overlooked the best answer, I'll comment on it below
      55 answers
Poll created by karlelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Humulus Lupulus
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care about obtaining promos for more than what they would be worth if they were available through normal channels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Manning
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
err... I like boardgames!?!
badge
D'oh! I bought overtext even though I have nothing interesting to say.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've voted that different art is OK, although I'm thinking specifically of exclusive promos. If there's no intention to limit the number of promos sold/produced, I'm happy for it to be unique.

That being said, there is an exception. In games where there is a strong focus on the art (for instance, Tanto Cuore), people would be miffed about missing out on a card with some unique art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Elfington
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
Good point on Tanto Cuore, but I'm mostly talking about games like Ascension that release unique cards, but then might end up not being able to keep them in stock for whatever reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna Smith
msg tools
Unique promos can save my time, cause I can decide whether I should check the deal easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the big gripes I see about Kickstarter exclusive promos is that they, in some way, punish someone for not backing the game at that time.
Many coming along later feels as if they have an incomplete product & some of those will refuse to buy the game because of it.

The promos that seem to be acceptable to just about all are the alternate art ones. They're very nice, pretty, funky to have....but they don't fundamentally change the game.
So this changes it to
"You supported me & allowed the game to get published, have some nice shiny cards that you can't get anywhere else"
but still allows
"You supported me later on by buying the game, have a complete product. It's only slightly less pretty than the other version"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like promos that add more to the game, without being felt if they are left out.

A limited promo Scenario in a game that only includes 4 to begin with? That's a bad thing. A promo scenario in a game that has three dozen scenarios? Fun!

A unique miniature that has different powers in a miniatures game? Neat! A unique miniature that is so powerful that he ends up in the army of everyone who got him? Bad.

Basically, ask yourself 'would anyone but a completist feel upset for missing this?' If the answer is 'no.' Then it makes for a good promo.

I am a completist sadly. Pokemon drives me insane >.>

Darn you limited release pokemon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shadrach wrote:
I am a completist sadly. Pokemon drives me insane >.>

Darn you limited release pokemon!

http://pokecheats.net/db/online-pokesav/

The fact that directly editing game data like that is not looked down upon in the competitive community is fair commentary on the effect of limited-release promos, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kickstarter exclusive promos really are a double-edged sword. It does get more backers at the time if they are game-changing or add to the game significantly. But then people later feel like they're not getting the whole game. Then if a company decides to sell the KS exclusives, the backers feel cheated.

I honestly think that there should not be exclusive promos on KS projects. Stretch goals are all about adding to the game so make it add to all copies.

As for other promos that are given out at cons, I would be happy if they were available for while online after the con. Though I don't expect a company to provide it forever. Which is sad for those who are a couple of years late, like I am for some of the Agricola decks, but that's just the way it goes.

Normally, I'm a completist, but if it's going to cost too much or be too much trouble then I just forget about it. Not having it doesn't change the game I do have. In fact, some promos I've seen, I wouldn't buy because it doesn't add anything I like.

That's my opinion anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Kickstarter exclusive promos really are a double-edged sword. It does get more backers at the time if they are game-changing or add to the game significantly. But then people later feel like they're not getting the whole game. Then if a company decides to sell the KS exclusives, the backers feel cheated.

And then are those that are purely cosmetic, and still those that missed out feel like they're not getting the whole game!

I'm thinking of the Zombicide Kickstarter exclusive character sculpts here - the Survivor stat cards to go with (almost) all the exclusive sculpts are available for download, for free, from the Guillotine Games website, but still people see that as somehow not getting the full game. In fact some go as far as refusing to buy the game, or even refusing to buy any game from Guillotine Games and/or CoolMiniOrNot (it's never quite clear exactly where they're directing their ire) ever!

In short, it doesn't matter what the publishers/designers do, if they offer promos of any kind, someone's not going to be happy, and they're likely spout all over whatever internet forums they find, or choose, to spout all over about it.

Also, this is nothing new, or because of Kickstarter. One look at the Promo Geeklist here on BGG will tell you that promos of all levels of exclusivity have been a part of the board gaming hobby for far far long than Kickstarter has existed. The only difference now is that the existence of said promos has become much more visible after-the-fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
In short, it doesn't matter what the publishers/designers do, if they offer promos of any kind, someone's not going to be happy, and they're likely spout all over whatever internet forums they find, or choose, to spout all over about it.

Also, this is nothing new, or because of Kickstarter. One look at the Promo Geeklist here on BGG will tell you that promos of all levels of exclusivity have been a part of the board gaming hobby for far far long than Kickstarter has existed. The only difference now is that the existence of said promos has become much more visible after-the-fact.

I think your first statement is going to be true about almost any game regardless of promos. There will always be someone unhappy with the game because it doesn't do this or that or the other thing. And they spout off about it on the web and to anyone who will listen.

You're right, Kickstarter has brought the promos to the forefront of people's minds and getting attention that promos probably didn't have before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
As it is, I hardly buy anything on Kickstarter. Why spend money now on an uncertain venture, when I can just as well wait a few months and make an informed decision about buying the game, when people have played it and I can read reviews, perhaps even try it out myself?

Promo's are the answer to that. I am more inclined to fork over money for a product on Kickstarter if I know that I can get something that the muggles don't have.

That said, the only game that I bought in that way was Among the Stars, which was promoted on Indiegogo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
Giant Fire Breathing Robot
badge
gfbrobot.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I think limited promos are fine AS LONG AS they are made generally available for a reasonable time (3-6 months). So if you don't happen to attend a con, they can be acquired from the publisher's website, from the BGG store, or something similar.

I dislike promos that are generally unavailable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MyParadox wrote:
I think limited promos are fine AS LONG AS they are made generally available for a reasonable time (3-6 months). So if you don't happen to attend a con, they can be acquired from the publisher's website, from the BGG store, or something similar.

I dislike promos that are generally unavailable.

laugh

That's so close to you saying "I want limited promos that aren't limited" that you may as well be saying "I want limited promos that aren't limited"!

(but, I know that's not what you're saying)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.