Subject: when do I place monsters?? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all

I just got mansions of madness. I've been reading over the rulebooks and everything and the other night I decided to set up the first scenario. I was going to play a little bit of it solo so that I could get a feel for it, and so I would be prepared to explain it to my group.

After I set up the map and seeded the cards and everything something came to my attention. I feel so stupid for asking this but where are the monster figures? In the first scenarioat the start there are no monsters on the board. I was looking through the keeper cards and stuff but I didn't see anything that allows the keeper to actually bring a monster out into play. What did I miss?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
In the first scenario, you can summon maniacs with the keeper action card Maniac Attack, and the Event cards might create a couple of zombies. Clue 1A, Objective 1B, and Clue 1C all summon additional monsters, so in the endgame you will get one or more other monsters depending on Story Choice 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so i looked through the cards for the scenario and i saw some of the ones u mentioned. i guess this games focus is not on spawning and killing monstersthen. im just not used to this type of game. if there isnt much emphasis on having monsters attack the investigators then is the game relatively easy for the investigators to reach their goal? it just seems more like a race against the clock.... as i said i havent actually played this yet. im just trying to get an idea so i can teach it to some friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
so i looked through the cards for the scenario and i saw some of the ones u mentioned. i guess this games focus is not on spawning and killing monstersthen. im just not used to this type of game. if there isnt much emphasis on having monsters attack the investigators then is the game relatively easy for the investigators to reach their goal? it just seems more like a race against the clock.... as i said i havent actually played this yet. im just trying to get an idea so i can teach it to some friends.

Not a race against the clock - a race against the keeper. Both sides are trying to complete their objective before the other, and the keeper has more tricks up his sleeve to mess with the heroes' plans than just throwing monsters at them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Johnson
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a great Youtube series by Rodney Smith on how to play this game, but actually showing you the game play through a series of videos. Have a look, I think you will not only enjoy it, but learn quite a bit about the game.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEC54C070723F98E4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bleached_lizard wrote:
Not a race against the clock - a race against the keeper. Both sides are trying to complete their objective before the other, and the keeper has more tricks up his sleeve to mess with the heroes' plans than just throwing monsters at them.

Sometimes the objective is a race against the clock, though, for one or both sides, with all players losing if the last objective card is revealed, or the Keeper winning, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just started watching that video series with Rodney Smith earlier today. In the scenario he was playing he seemed to have cards that let him spawn more monsters (usually cultists). You're right though I am learning a lot on how to play the game by watching his video. I think I will give it a go the next time I have some friends over and see how it plays. I mainly bought this game because it seemed very heavy on story and atmosphere. I haven't really owned a game like this before so I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it seems that in the first scenario all you can do is bring out maniacs and a zombie I think. So I assume you can use the same keeper action cards as many times as threat allows you, correct? I wasn't sure if when the keeper used a card ONCE that particular round he was unable to use it again until the next round. I believe I saw Rodney (in his videos) summon cultists 3 or 4 times. I think the card only cost him one threat each time but he used it 3 or 4 times on his turn...that's legal I assume?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
Yeah it seems that in the first scenario all you can do is bring out maniacs and a zombie I think. So I assume you can use the same keeper action cards as many times as threat allows you, correct? I wasn't sure if when the keeper used a card ONCE that particular round he was unable to use it again until the next round. I believe I saw Rodney (in his videos) summon cultists 3 or 4 times. I think the card only cost him one threat each time but he used it 3 or 4 times on his turn...that's legal I assume?

Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.