Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Hutch
Australia
North Fitzroy
VIC
flag msg tools
My 4th game of Tzolk'in.

This was my best game (almost) of Tzolk'in ever and in a 4 player game.

From the offset I pursued a very focussed strategy - tech up on my food production track, grab lots of food since everyone else had plenty of buildings providing free food and few workers, and only get resources for teching/building by using the market on the Uxmal cog (Uxmal 2).

Everything was going a dream - I was pulling massive amount of corn, grabbing spots on the temples by bouncing off the 4th tech level on the food track, and looking certain to win.

Going into the end of the 3rd season, I had my eyes on the monument giving 3 points per temple level on your highest temple as I was far ahead on the sun temple and would get 2 free gold towards it.

The plan was coming to fruition and in the 3rd from final round, I pulled a man off the Tikal 3 space to bounce up the templates twice again... knowing full well I could build the monument using my worker currently sitting on Tikal 1.

Last round everything is optimised 100%. For my final flourish I pay 1 corn allow my worker sitting on Tikal 3 to use Tikal 2 to build the monument...

BUT NO! the other players yell out - that space only lets you build a building and not a monument

NOOOOOO

Just two turns ago I pulled a worker off Tikal 3 as I was sure I knew what I was doing...

21 points lost and 3rd place!

Of my 4 games - this is the 3rd time I have messed up the Tikal 2 and 4 iconography and been unable to build my final monument...

Next strategy: No Monuments at all to avoid my mental block on this one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Bocchetta
Italy
Milano
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it hard to win without Monuments... but if you do, please inform us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually win with a temple/skull strategy. It can be beat by a good monument game, but really there needs to be a good set of them in the initial pull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools
wozzit wrote:
BUT NO! the other players yell out - that space only lets you build a building and not a monument

I'm ok with the wheel iconography. My minor grumble is that when they are laid out on the board, building tiles look exactly like monument tiles, and people forget which row is which. I wish that the two tile types were more easily distinguishable at first glance. Ideally, the monuments should look a bit more luxurious than the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Highland Cow wrote:
I'm ok with the wheel iconography. My minor grumble is that when they are laid out on the board, building tiles look exactly like monument tiles, and people forget which row is which. I wish that the two tile types were more easily distinguishable at first glance. Ideally, the monuments should look a bit more luxurious than the buildings.

We usually leave the face down piles to the immediate right of the board so it's fairly simple to see which is which, but yeah it took a couple of "wait a moment, which is which?" moments in the first game to figure it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
jsciv wrote:
Highland Cow wrote:

We usually leave the face down piles to the immediate right of the board so it's fairly simple to see which is which, but yeah it took a couple of "wait a moment, which is which?" moments in the first game to figure it out.

Another good way of telling them apart is to realize that all of the monuments have a multiple gold cost, whereas the buildings do not (there may be one or two--I don't have the game in front of me to check--but the majority don't cost any gold whatsoever).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hutch
Australia
North Fitzroy
VIC
flag msg tools
I think the issue is that a "build" action feels like it should build anything. I agree if the monuments sat somewhere else on the board it would help differentiate. Of course the real reason is my ineptitude

Actually in discussion after the game another played lost out when he realised he could not build a monument for corn using the Uxmal gear build action. He just did not have a break-down like me - of course it only happened to him mid-game and not as he removed his last worker at the end of the game

In the game in question the winner had no monuments - he had just made points in lots of ways - 2 point per building from the tech track, skulls, and 1/2 way up most templates.

One critical thing in our games has always been mid-game temple scoring. I am yet to see anyone with zero points in temples mid-game (or end-game) win.

Is a zero temple win feasible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chiu
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many ways to score temples that you'd have to work pretty hard to avoid getting any points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Davenport
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Faso74it wrote:
I find it hard to win without Monuments... but if you do, please inform us!

I won a 3 player game last night and the only two buildings I built were two farms to support my workers. I just went after crystal skulls, got the max slot on the blue track so i could buy a crystal skull when i needed it and just plopped as many skulls down as possible on the blue dial. (sorry i dont know the names of the map areas)

Seemed to work.. and was alot easier than the crunching and stressing my two opponents had to do figuring out what to buy and how to get the resources to do it lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.