$10.00
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to paint my silent death minis just to differenciate them on the game mat. This seems like a quick easy way. Are there better ways that are just as fast and don't require much talent?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
R'lyeh
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the Dip Method instead: http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43744/the-dip-method-a-ste...

I did this for a batch of Genestealers and despite my near-total lack of painting talent they look halfway decent. It's pretty hard to fuck up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
You're either born a pirate or not! It's in the blood...
mbmbmbmbmb
A quick and simple way to paint these ships is to spray paint them with a colored primer. Most common is white, grey, or black primers although they can be found in primary colors of red, blue, and green. Then learn how to perform the art of miniature "dipping" and the use of Magic Wash which allows to to colorize the finish.

Here are some links to get you started.

Painting Miniatures Made Easy

Magic Wash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Fuller
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it seems like this will work well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whistle We demand pics when complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I spray all my minis to "base" coat them. I use higher quality hobby store paints however, don't spray with hardware store paints.

But, i hate the fumes so i spray outdoors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to look around for some primers from The Army Painter.
http://thearmypainter.com/
They make primer in various colors which may be better suited for what you want to achieve.

Don't forget to clean the mold release off your minis first no matter what you decide to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just use spray to prime.

use the dip method if you want quick and easy.

it comes out pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Yellowbeard
United States
Winston-Salem
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbrwcky wrote:
They make primer in various colors which may be better suited for what you want to achieve.

Thanks for the lead on the colored primers. The Army Painter has a wide selection of colors. They are rather pricey though. John, have you ever used their colored primers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
jbbrwcky wrote:

Thanks for the lead on the colored primers. The Army Painter has a wide selection of colors. They are rather pricey though. John, have you ever used their colored primers?

I have about 15 of their colored primer sprays, they are excellent. They seem expensive until you price "hobby grade" primers in white/grey/black. The time saved is easily worth it in my opinion.

Here is a great example of the results from colored primer, dipping, and a very small amount of brush work: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/692341/painting-the-troo...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Panek
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
I spray all my minis to "base" coat them. I use higher quality hobby store paints however, don't spray with hardware store paints.

But, i hate the fumes so i spray outdoors.

There is a school of thought that hobby paint companies have less leverage with a manufacturer than Walmart, Home Depot, etc. and therefore have little recourse if they get inconsistent quality. In addition a hardware store turns over paint quickly compared to a hobby shop- I've been to some stores where they have paint that hasn't been produced in a decade or more. Basically I wouldn't write the hardware store stuff off too quickly if the hobby stuff is too hard to get.

Rich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Miller
United States
Rock Hill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've used hardware store brands of primer before. You just need to test it first to see how thick it sprays, typically it's meant for different purposes than covering plastic with fine detail and many will clog those details up.

The bigger issue on spray primers is usually environmental conditions however; it needs to be not too hot or cold and definitely not humid at all or you will get horrible results. And then you have to experiment with distance and speed, you want light coats but not too far away that the paint dries before hitting the surface (which is where heat is a problem).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Coates
United States
Winston Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CapnYB wrote:
jbbrwcky wrote:

I have used a fairly decent range of standard primers and also of Army Painter primers. There is nothing wrong with either really but I'm pretty sure Army Painter is formulated especially for miniatures (insert stuff about high pigment, special nozzle, higher pressure and other jargon that may or may not be true).

I prefer the Army Painter just because it has proven consistent for me and comes in a variety of shades that work great doubling as a basecoat.

I think I still have a couple of cans at the house if you want to give it a shot. I'll try to remember to swing by a Meetup with some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nasipak
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Krylon spray to prime and basecoat all my minis. I've done dozens of 'mechs for Battletech, for example, and spaceship stuff, etc.

It always comes out great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordon
Canada
Courtenay
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey I thought I'd share the results of an experiment I ran today.

I have used Army Painter Colour Primers (Angel Green) to prime a large 40k army and was blown away by not only the ~10hrs of base-coating time saved, but also the quality that surpassed my abilities with a brush. I have since ordered 8 various cans and plan to use them along with MinWax Polyshades to power through the Kickstarter Bones order I'm getting in March.

For my experiment: I thought that Krylon Dual Paint & Primer might be similar in effect to Army Painter Coloured Primer at less than half the cost.

Basically: it is not as good. Simply too glossy a finish to really hold paint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.