Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's the downfall of board gaming, Serious, if you want to play a video game, "PLAY A VIDEO GAME", there are thousands of them, and Please stop supporting these apps, "unless you want more video board games"? which will not be supporting BOARD GAMING!!!!!!,

I might be biased here, but I love board games, Not video board games, pretty soon no one will ever come in contact with another, i understand it is new and hot and that it is hard to find players "In the real world", but that's what it is about, finding ""REAL"" friends not fake one's like on facebook.

IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not annoyed at all. I don't think they're going to take the place of 'proper' boardgames in any way or form. When I sit down to play boardgames with friends I'm looking for that social experience I can't get on iPad. When I play Carcassone, or any other game, on the 'Pad it is because I'm in the mood for a solitaire experience. Completely different things for filling different needs, at least for me.

If anything I believe that proliferation of boardgame apps on the Apple App Store or Android Marketplace will help more and more people come into contact with boardgames, prompting them to seek out the physical version and in the end draw new people into the hobby.

Edit:
Not to mention that apps are an added revenue stream for the game publishers which will help them stay alive and produce even more new, physical games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Nassau County
New York
flag msg tools
I'm not really sure what your complaint is.

Are you against:
1)App versions of board games like Elder Signs: Omens?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fantasyfli...

2)Suuport apps for playing board games like they have for Zombicide?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.twistedkey...

3)Independent setup/scoring apps like Dominion Shuffle?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.spellenclub...

I assume you mean the first, but I have no problem with any of them. There are times, like while commuting on a train, where an app version of a board game can be played but a regular version can't. There are some people who prefer it.

I don't understand what the benefit of limiting this would be. I would imagine that the people programming the app versions of board games aren't the same people designing board games so I don't even think a good argument could be made that it's dividing a company's resources. In fact, I imagine that a lot of it is contracted out to a different company.

It's a different new and hopefully profitable market and there's little reason why a company should stay out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
I can't see how they'd be the fall of board gaming or why any one would be annoyed by them. If you don't like 'em then don't play or buy them. Simple as that. There's plenty of people who strictly only play "hard" copies of board games and that's fine.

I seriously doubt that a situation would come up where if someone was offered the choice of playing the physical game with someone they weren't intimidated or annoyed by or playing the same game digitally by themselves that they'd choose the latter. If they did it would probably be because they're more prone to playing digitally and wouldn't have been out looking for gaming company in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Ruiz
United States
Calexico
CA - California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love board games but I don't think I will ever replace board games with video board games. Those apps help you try some games for example I recently bought Stone Age app and loved it it was my first Worker placement game that I tried and now I have The Manhattan Project and Stone Age on their way to me. Lastly sometimes you may find yourself traveling and without the option to play physical board game so an easy solution is to play a boardgame app to kill the time or just to play solo.

In my opinion there should be more game apps to explore other games(I discovered Neuroshima Hex!through the app too)but that is just my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Takuto Tsunashi
msg tools
mb
I just wish people would stop posting about "apps" on a boardgame forum. This sort of thing is the online equivalent of network decay.

(I am only posting in this thread because it happened to be on top, so that I'm not bumping it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm.

For that matter, we should probably get rid of all Play By Forum games here on the geek. I mean really, they are just destroying our interest in playing together in person.

And I suggest we declare war on Yucata and other board game sites like it. What the hell are those people thinking?!?

And Days of Wonder is CANNABALIZING iteself with their online versions. What the Hell?!?

(Whoops. gotta go. I've got about 12 moves to make in my Carcassonne, Samuarai, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, Summoner Wars, Tigris and Euphrates, and Pitchcar games on my iphone... I mean, set up in my living room with all my friends who have flown in from out of state just to play with me... Shit! they spilled beer all over the boards!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Hmmm.

For that matter, we should probably get rid of all Play By Forum games here on the geek. I mean really, they are just destroying our interest in playing together in person.

And I suggest we declare war on Yucata and other board game sites like it. What the hell are those people thinking?!?

And Days of Wonder is CANNABALIZING iteself with their online versions. What the Hell?!?

(Whoops. gotta go. I've got about 12 moves to make in my Carcassonne, Samuarai, Ascension, Ticket to Ride, Summoner Wars, Tigris and Euphrates, and Pitchcar games on my iphone... I mean, set up in my living room with all my friends who have flown in from out of state just to play with me... Shit! they spilled beer all over the boards!)

PS - Iphone ports saved my gaming life. My wife let me try em for $1, then she gets hooked on it, and asks me to buy the full version.

For Christmas, we bought the kids Pitchcar Mini and all the expansions because they LOVED playing Disc Drivin'. So, no... not breaking the hobby at all. Apps are expanding it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Time used playing the app versus time playing with real people. That is the problem. When the boardgame playing time gets the shaft because they can already play an app boardgame 4x during the same time. No setup time, conversations are next to nil while they look down at the screen instead of over the board (which actually they will look up from time to time, unlike the app).

So, I don't hate them, but I do hate the idea my boardgame time has been shafted by the words "I've played Dominion on my phone like 5 times already", when asking to play a boardgame.

Okay, and don't get me started on the designing process which cuts time out of boardgame time for playtests. No boardgame time=No playtests->no progress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
I think it's the downfall of board gaming...

It's actually been the complete opposite. People that are into apps are increasingly finding out about board gaming via their digital versions.

It's been an absolute boon to the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I strongly agree with the OP. I'm a perennial anti-iOS person. However, I've stopped trying to debate with people about it. It seems pointless after awhile, they will play games their way and I will play them mine. To each their own I've found, and I've built my collection to the point where my want for new games has nearly been satiated, and I think that helped defuse my anti-app fire.

I will mention though, since it is relevant to this thread, my main argument. I have consistently found people who can play games very quickly as an app will get overloaded on that game and lose interest more quickly than someone like me, who plays just with cardboard.

For instance, if I play dominion or ticket to ride as an app, I personally will likely get bored with it after about a week or two, like I have with most of my smart phone apps. Since I play dominon or ticket to ride once a week and one game usually goes for 90-120 minutes with set up time, breaks and what not, the life span of the game for me becomes significantly longer.

Compare this to my son. My son got the XBOX carcassonne game after playing it in real life and really liking it. He is one of these video game achievement hunters, who try to eek out every possible reward and achievement in a game. He played carc in crazy multiple rapid-fire games like he does most of his video games. Now he has played it so much he is sick of it, and he never wants to play the cardboard version ever again.

Now I am not saying that this is everyone, but I'd like to think this situation happens more often than not. Maybe I'm wrong. Either way, I will continue to play my games exclusively cardboard, and I will continue to have fun in my own way, knowing that it will be a long time before I am bored with any of my games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
boltspedman wrote:
I think it's the downfall of board gaming...

It's actually been the complete opposite. People that are into apps are increasingly finding out about board gaming via their digital versions.

It's been an absolute boon to the hobby.

Yea! to the people that watch Big bang theory, and call them self "geeks" It's just a trend for them not a long lasting hobbie!. "they wont buy hard copy's of games they just bought for a dollar" and a true Board gamer has to pay 40 50 dollars, thats the differents between and bandwagoner app user and a BOARD GAMER! I'm thinking long term!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
Hmmm.

Shouldn't you be on vgg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tengblad
Sweden
Uppsala
Uppsala
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Yea! to the people that watch Big bang theory, and call them self "geeks" It's just a trend for them not a long lasting hobbie!. "they wont buy hard copy's of games they just bought for a dollar" and a true Board gamer has to pay 40 50 dollars, thats the differents between and bandwagoner app user and a BOARD GAMER! I'm thinking long term!

What are you basing this assumption on?
I can tell you that I actually started playing board games on the iPad before I started playing physical games, and the digital versions was one of the reasons that got me into board gaming in the first place. Two years later I've spent more money than I care to think about buying physical games!

And even if there are a few band wagoners, as you call them, where's the harm in that? If these people buy a few board game apps for a dollar of two that's extra money going into the game publisher's pocket that they wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

ropearoni4 wrote:
Okay, and don't get me started on the designing process which cuts time out of boardgame time for playtests. No boardgame time=No playtests->no progress."

I'm not sure if this is true. Most apps are outsourced (traditional board gaming companies usually don't have the expertise to code their own iOS or Android apps) so I don't think they're stealing a huge amount of time from traditional development and playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Second in a one horse race
United Kingdom
Bloxham
Oxon
flag msg tools
Cardboard rocks. It's just not the same on iOS.
badge
F&%K YOU, DODGEBALL!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Real boardgames are tactile, social experiences. The real "metagame" is life and interaction - how people respond to each other.

I like my iOS games, but they're a substitute when I can't find playing partners, they are not a replacement. There is a ritual to set-up and tear-down. I mean, the best discussions happen when all the players are putting away together after a great game. I love that, and iOS can never replace it.

+1 to what Chaddyboy said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've yet to find a person who'd respond to an invitation to play a physical board game "No, thanks; I'd rather play on my iPad while you stare at me".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Betote wrote:
I've yet to find a person who'd respond to an invitation to play a physical board game "No, thanks; I'd rather play on my iPad while you stare at me".

that isn't the response. here is the response:

"I'm too tired to play a boardgame, but I like to relax for ten minutes and play a quick game on my phone."

commitment of time is a big factor for those in a rush.

also..."I can play a quick game while on my lunch break."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheryll Adelt
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
Pinkie Fail
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to play video games, I like to play boardgames, and sometimes I also like to play video-boardgames. So, does that make me less of a real board gamer, if I do? And if yes, do I even care? Probably not.

I wasn't even aware there is such a big selection of those, I just know of the Ascension app and Elder Sign. But then, I don't have a smart phone yet, just a tab.
I'd actually love to have the Ascension app, but I'm not an apple user. Since I commute 1,5h to work every day it's nice to be able to play my favorite card game on the train.
But I can't see that ever replace playing with my fiancé or friends. It's quite a different experience to play against an AI compared to playing against real people.

But if some people prefer a quick game on their phone to a longer RL boardgame session I don't think not having any boardgame apps would change that. They would probably just decide to play some other phone game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
I might be biased here, but I love board games, Not video board games, pretty soon no one will ever come in contact with another, i understand it is new and hot and that it is hard to find players "In the real world", but that's what it is about, finding ""REAL"" friends not fake one's like on facebook.

I see you used Facebook as an example as opposed to BGG. The truth is that "real" friends can exist online just as "fake" friends can exist in the real world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
I think it's the downfall of board gaming, Serious, if you want to play a video game, "PLAY A VIDEO GAME", there are thousands of them, and Please stop supporting these apps, "unless you want more video board games"? which will not be supporting BOARD GAMING!!!!!!,

IMO.

Can't I play both? Are they now burning copies of boardgames when they release the app or something?

This reminds me so much of the ebook debate, with paranoid book sniffers declaring it the end of books, whilst failing to grasp the fact that they can embrace both things for the different advantages they offer. Books aren't going anywhere, and neither are boardgames. Hell I'm still listening to the radio, wasn't that supposed to be dead by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leach
United Kingdom
Godalming
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
I think the biggest loss is the drive of gaming-hunger you get when you haven't managed to get a game in recently. Without boardgame apps you're forced to try and organise a game with friends rather than whip out your phone to sate your hunger with the slightly lesser experience.

Without the apps there'd be more evangelism of face to face gaming going on. With it, there comes a dilution of the boardgaming culture of good times with friends.

Yes it obviously adds to the publishers coffers and increases the potential audience and therefore potential gamers, but undoubtedly those gamers will not be baptized in as intense a fire of 'good time with friends'.

I would be very sad to see the forums overrun with app discussion but it's now an important element of the hobby and inevitably it will be mentioend. That being said, we can't ignore that the app scene is both good and bad for the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weateallthepies wrote:

This reminds me so much of the ebook debate, with paranoid book sniffers declaring it the end of books, whilst failing to grasp the fact that they can embrace both things for the different advantages they offer. Books aren't going anywhere, and neither are boardgames. Hell I'm still listening to the radio, wasn't that supposed to be dead by now?

I think the former employees of Borders might beg to differ on that. However, radio is still considered one of the top media outlets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play boardgames on my android while taking the tram all over town. I often see others doing the same. When I do, I whip out one of my Gobo (Gothenburg Boardgamers) business cards and hand it to the person, informing them that we are playing at Spelets Hus (The Games House) on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays, but if you come by pretty much any evening or weekend there is something going on. Plenty of other Gobo members -- and members of other societies that share space with us at Spelets Hus -- do the same.

I think that Gobo has reached more new members this way than any other way we have advertised, apart from sticking up posters at the 2 Universities when term opened. So, around here, at any rate, boardgaming on phones leads to boardgaming in person, in a directly measurable way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Laura your post makes me wonder about cultural or societal differences in regards to apps. Where I live most everyone has their nose firmly planted in their phones. Its like pulling teeth to get people to play something tangible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
I think the former employees of Borders might beg to differ on that. However, radio is still considered one of the top media outlets.

I'm pretty sure Border's closure had a lot more to do with their massive debts, and huge retail space, than from any threat from ebooks.

Regardless, I simply don't see apps as a huge threat to physical board games. It's a niche market anyway, driven by people who want a particular experience, many of them will already have access to computer and video games yet they choose to buy and play board games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.