Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
robert cabrera
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You bunch of whipper snappers, in my day we played games the way they were meant to be played....outside in the snow. We made them ourselves...ah good old kick the can. Now you lazy bums let other people make the games for you. It will be the downfall of gaming as we know it.

Next people will be buying stuff online, it will destroy the brick and mortar stoes.

Also giraffes are weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I swing between two moods when it comes to boardgame apps. On the one hand, I'd never want to play a pass-and-play version of something - plus I only have an iphone to game on. Some games simply aren't a good fit; either I can't make out details, or things are so re-jigged that it is too far removed from the physical game that I enjoy.

On the other hand, I've made two very quick purchases thanks to trialing games via the app version. Both Roll Through the Ages and San Juan were picked up within a day of playing the apps whilst bored on a train journey.

On the other other hand... I deleted Battle Line almost immediately, and I've given up trying to fathom the games of Reiner Knizia. The tutorials for them seem like they were written by the FFG rule-smiths.

If you haven't tried the app for Elder Signs, I really recommend you give it a go. A rare example of the digital age absolutely nailing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Westminster
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I travel 330 days out of the year for work. Thanks for trying to ruin my board gaming fun.

My only gripe is why do the majority of games have to be on iOS. An ipad cannot replace my laptop for work and I would much rather have a PC version of games. I have an iPad but I hate it and gave it to my wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Would
United Kingdom
Hucknall
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Yea! to the people that watch Big bang theory, and call them self "geeks" It's just a trend for them not a long lasting hobbie!. "they wont buy hard copy's of games they just bought for a dollar" and a true Board gamer has to pay 40 50 dollars, thats the differents between and bandwagoner app user and a BOARD GAMER! I'm thinking long term!

I love Big Bang. Check
I am a geek. Check

I've been playing 'gamers' games for nearly 30 years now. If my parents can finally accept I am not going to grow out of it then I am somewhat surprised that you clearly know better....

I love the surge in accesible games on devices caused by the IOS board game success. If this takes it away it from stuff like Vassal and enables everyone no matter their skill level with IT stuff to play and learn how good board games are then it has to be a big plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I find the oddest about the OP is the assertion/suggestion/implication that more Apps of physical board games will lead to fewer physical board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
Yea! to the people that watch Big bang theory, and call them self "geeks" It's just a trend for them not a long lasting hobbie!. "they wont buy hard copy's of games they just bought for a dollar" and a true Board gamer has to pay 40 50 dollars, thats the differents between and bandwagoner app user and a BOARD GAMER! I'm thinking long term!

Yes, let's be elitist and judge who is a board gamer by how much they spend and what television programs they watch. In fact, let's burn the witches. That will help the hobby grow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Laura your post makes me wonder about cultural or societal differences in regards to apps. Where I live most everyone has their nose firmly planted in their phones. Its like pulling teeth to get people to play something tangible

I don't know where you live, but lots of the USA suffers from a severe lack of public transit. Which means you don't get to meet people on the trams, of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Casarrubios
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ropearoni4 wrote:
Betote wrote:
I've yet to find a person who'd respond to an invitation to play a physical board game "No, thanks; I'd rather play on my iPad while you stare at me".

that isn't the response. here is the response:

"I'm too tired to play a boardgame, but I like to relax for ten minutes and play a quick game on my phone."

commitment of time is a big factor for those in a rush.

also..."I can play a quick game while on my lunch break."

Those are people who wouldn't play a board game even if they hadn't got a smartphone at hand. They would watch TV, listen to music or read a book but if they are "too tired to play a boardgame", they aren't going to suddenly find the energies to do it when you take their phones away from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Reynolds
United States
Greenwood
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

So, what you are really mad about is the fact that people who are not interested in becoming a board game enthusiast like yourself have access to app board games that don't reflect your passion for board gaming.

And this is a problem why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the opposite of the downfall; the app-ification of board games is a huge factor in the current surge of board game popularity with a direct result of more money in the the industry and more diverse games coming out for us. Not to mention a new stream of players that are being introduced to board gaming specifically because of games they discovered on a mobile device.

Elder Signs (cardboard) actually dissapointed me after I bought it because the app is so good for solo play. But that's fine because it is a fantastic solo game on the iPad that never would have been made as well if it was conceived as a video game. People who buy both certainly isn't leading to its downfall, even if we like one better.

Games with a lot of "fiddley" pieces, heavy scoring mechanisms, or tiresome set up TOTALLY benefit from having app versions or even apps for scoring/ tracking. Some games that kinda suck in cardboard are actually not too bad as apps; Cryptozoic's Food Fight is a dissapointing variant of WAR in person, but thier app turned out to be actually fun and the game is somehow much more enjoyable solo as a video game. The app version saved this game.

Of course, there are many games that will always be better in person. Battlestar Galactaca, Cosmic Encointers (which has has an online version for like 10 years- and cardboard Cosmic is more popular than it was), even Settlers will likely never really work on an app at least not untill telepresence is fully accessible. And yes I know Settlers has a popular app out, I have it, but are there really a lot of people out there who actually prefer it to the cardboard version?

And that's just it. Good board games are not getting replaced.

The best social boardgames will not be killed by app versions. Boardgames will be enhanced by them, certainly influenced them, and many made better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I travel 330 days out of the year for work. Thanks for trying to ruin my board gaming fun.

My only gripe is why do the majority of games have to be on iOS. An ipad cannot replace my laptop for work and I would much rather have a PC version of games. I have an iPad but I hate it and gave it to my wife.

As a Mac user of many years, I can not tell you how much it makes me giggle to hear someone complain about not having enough gaming on a PC.

Seriously though, you just have to look for them a little harder. Apple learned a lot from losing the personal computer war and they brought that to the mobile device war.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i love gaming on my ipad.

there are a bunch of games i got to try out for half the cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ng
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As fans of this hobby shouldn't we be cheering the proliferation of boardgames into different, more accessible mediums? If apps can get people to make and buy stuff like Angry Birds: The Card Game, Words with Friends, Fruit Ninja Card Game, Temple Run: Danger Chase, Draw Something, etc. then don't you think a Carcassonne app might convince somebody to buy a Carcassonne boardgame? Any new money making its way into this industry is a good thing right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love having access to board game apps on my iPad. Instead of spending $30+ on a board game that I haven't tried yet, I can give it a try on my iPad and learn the rules for $5. My girlfriend and I do pass-and-play on several of the apps, so the social interaction is still there for me. Neither of us are wealthy, so it gives us a cheap way to test out games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Like some other people here, I play boardgame apps when it's impossible/inconvenient to play a "real" cardboard game.

When I'm on a bus or a train. In bed when insomnia hits (all too often, unfortunately). In the five minutes it takes to boil my breakfast egg. While I'm waiting for a friend who's ten minutes late again. When I'm at home on my own during the day and my friends are all at work (I work from home). When I want to play my millionth game of something my boyfriend isn't keen on. When we're on a holiday using public transport or a plane and our luggage space is taken up with clothes and cameras and binoculars and hiking boots and bird field guides.

I'd absolutely rather play face-to-face with people I know, but often it's just not possible. Apps let me play when and where it's convenient to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Koeppen
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
LEGO: Hopeful for new 'Castle' sets in 2015!
badge
Games: Regarding my favorite theme of 'Fantasy', I'm hoping for fewer 'card' games and more 'board' games.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only thing that annoys me is the 'News' block on the BGG homepage. I wish there was a permanent way to filter out the iOS news. All too often I'll glance over there and see "Eclipse Update" or "New Talisman" or some other appealing title and then my hopes are dashed when it is referring to iOS. Sure you can filter it out temporarily, but when I first get on it is back to showing both BGG and iOS.

Otherwise, I am not too concerned. I like my board games and video games the way I like my BBQ pork and potato salad, completely separate. I don't even like PDFs or electronic files of any kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus McRhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Male
badge
Prostitute
mbmbmbmbmb
This has got to be in the running for one of the most ridiculous BGG rants yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, not annoyed with board game apps.

I use online/computer version of boardgames sometimes to clarify rule points and learn the game better.

But Apps and online boardgames can't replace boardgames for me the way ebooks can replace books. I like boardgames because I am breaking bread and having live interactions with people directly in a way that an internet connection can't compete with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Connellan
United States
Avondale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I am the white void. I am the cold steel. I am the just sword.
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
chaddyboy_2000 wrote:
boltspedman wrote:
I think it's the downfall of board gaming...

It's actually been the complete opposite. People that are into apps are increasingly finding out about board gaming via their digital versions.

It's been an absolute boon to the hobby.

Somebody just brought the The Big Bang Theory: The Party Game to game night a few weeks ago. Why do people think that because people like board games that means they like awful television?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam D.
United States
Suquamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awful television is The Bachelor, not Big Bang Theory. You not liking it is an entirely different matter.

As far as Apps ruining boardgaming, I liken this to a similar sentiment from a months old thread bemoaning the fact that "our" games are now sold in non FLGS stores to the masses. Oh the horror.

My only gripe is buying the $40.00 version to play solo (no regular group here) and then finding out the $9.99 app version is on the way. But that's my problem, not the publisher's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bailey
United States
Warner Robins
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll stop playing board games on my Ipad when you agree to come play Stone Age with me while I'm on the can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff H

Greeneville
Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob cavallo
United States
roseland
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbailey wrote:
I'll stop playing board games on my Ipad when you agree to come play Stone Age with me while I'm on the can.

do you have one of these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Im thinking long term! in a 50 years, is traditional board gaming going to be obsolete, because of this new generations lazyness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
dbailey wrote:

do you have one of these?

I would play on that!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.