Popular Tags: [View All]
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
badfish20 wrote:
You bunch of whipper snappers, in my day we played games the way they were meant to be played....outside in the snow. We made them ourselves...ah good old kick the can. Now you lazy bums let other people make the games for you. It will be the downfall of gaming as we know it.

Next people will be buying stuff online, it will destroy the brick and mortar stoes.

Also giraffes are weird.

Buying games online does destroy brick and mortar stores!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
This has got to be in the running for one of the most ridiculous BGG rants yet.

Talk to me in 20 years and see where your "beloved hobbie" has gone! in the crapper cause of lazy people with their nose in a phone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peloquin17 wrote:
i love gaming on my ipad.

there are a bunch of games i got to try out for half the cost.

That's my point!!! why would someone "New" to the hobbie and is used to "video games", buy a game on their phone, play it and then decide they want a physical version of it? It's not helping "BOARD GAMES" I swear most of you should be on VGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Im thinking long term! in a 50 years, is traditional board gaming going to be obsolete, because of this new generations lazyness?

No. Apps apparently increase sales of physical games.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/days-of...

"The company followed Small World with a digital version of Ticket to Ride, released early last year. The game was once again developed in-house, with the graphics and presentation being treated with great care, and the $6.99 app quickly became another huge success. Sales of the board game jumped 30 percent."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
O God, thy sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mb
The sky is falling!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkearns wrote:
The sky is falling!

Curse you, you beat me to it while I was googling a chicken ruuning around. Also on a side note, rule 34 is real I just found out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd give anything to have my entire collection available on my phone/tablet/console. To be able to play AI opponents, and to be able to play in half of the time is HEAVEN to me. Of course, this is just a nice option occasionally.

It would never replace the real thing. There no reason we can't have our cake, and eat it too. Physical and digital gaming aren't mutually exclusive by any means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walsh
United States
Batavia
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. I'm a gamer, whatever the form is. It's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a funny thread!

Honestly, the idea that iOS games could possibly hurt either the boardgame industry or the general willingness of players to engage in boardgames ignores what it is that motivates people to play in the first place.

It is true that some personality types will bury themselves obsessively into an isolated environment and remain there in avoidance of human contact for as long as it is possible to do so. The existence of boardgames on iOS devices has absolutely no effect on the number or the degree to which those people do this. The existence of video games has already opened that door wide open.

iOS boardgames might target that market, but they don't add to or diminish from its prominence in our culture.

iOS boardgames do, however, offer some additional opportunities for the rest of us, particularly for those times when group play is not an option. When on a plane (I travel semi-frequently for work) I could read a book, watch a movie or play a game. Interacting with people on the plane will never be my preferred choice regardless what distractions electronic devices might offer. I just don't like people enough for that.

When I'm up for it (not overly tired or noxious), my preference is to read a book. When I'm not in the mood for reading (or writing), my preference is to play a game. Before having boardgames on my idevices, this usually meant video games, but my strong preference of late is to play boardgames. Boardgames typically have a different feel to them and are traditionally more contained in regards to the time it takes to complete them. Boardgames also typically have better replay value after completing one or more games (at least this has been true for me).

I love having these available. I wish there were more. This has in no way at all affected my excitement at attending my Wednesday game nights. I doubt this is a highly unusual reaction.

My advice to the OP is to step out of your own shoes for a few minutes and try to look at this from alternate perspectives. The problem is clearly much wider than the narrow way in which you have defined it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Someone has to stir the POT every once and while!!.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula P
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Apps, while popular, will never replace actual board gaming.

Let me give you an example:

The other night, about 8pm, I was struck with the urge to play Catan. I asked my husband if he wanted to play, but he did not. So, to scratch that itch, I played a digital version. I otherwise wouldn't have played, because I was in my pyjamas and there was no way I was going to wander out just to find someone to play Catan with me.

But I will still be super excited on our next Saturday gaming day. Playing Catan on my computer didn't make me any less excited to play it with my friends in person. In fact, in my case, it made me more eager to play with real people instead of computers.

The point here is that board games played in person offer something that video game versions will not offer--personal interaction.

There is a problem with people in general having their faces glued to phones, but that's a problem regardless of board game apps, and that boils down to deciding if a no-phone policy during your gaming group is necessary or not. You could possibly try a variation of the phone stacking game.

Another thing to note is that this has nothing to do with younger generations. I know older folks who are glued to their phones, and I know college students who rarely use them, and every combination inbetween.

I understand your frustration with inconsiderate people, but the problem is that--inconsiderate people--and that can't be blamed on phone apps, nor does it spell the end of this (or any) hobby.

ETA: And +1 to the folks who have pointed out that board game sales are actually increasing. People are turning away from the constantly connected electronic things and toward activities that foster face-to-face interaction. Pretty sure board games fit in that category, at least most of the time. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
remus wrote:

Given there was a review complaining about a game's box taking too many seconds to open I doubt it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ng
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
remus wrote:

Given there was a review complaining about a game's box taking too many seconds to open I doubt it.

Was it for Descent 2.0? I'm not sure what takes longer, opening the box or setting up the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rekinom
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Im thinking long term! in a 50 years, is traditional board gaming going to be obsolete, because of this new generations lazyness?

Take a look at your computer mouse. You got an optical mouse, right? If it is of a generic type, it has a microprocessor running at 24 Million cycles a second and takes a picture of the surface it lies on 1,500 times a second and compares each picture to the previous picture just to determine in which direction and how fast you moved it. 50 years ago, we would have been thrilled to fill the floor of a building with that much computing power. Yet, this is a disposable $6 item.

50 years from now, people will still play boardgames, just like people still play the harp, or paint with oils, or run as a hobby. Boardgames may even become bifurcated, with some boardgames being art objects with limited run prints, while other boardgames might pack more technology in the sum of their disposable mesh-networked fiddly meeples than we currently use to run this website.

Have you seen that new PS3 game where the user interface is a book (I thought books were dead?!?) and a high-tech stick? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIepj63txkM

Boardgames definitely have a win in the user interface column compared to non-tactile, low-feedback touch screens. I think in 50 years time, it will just be better. Of course, we will probably be dead, so why worry about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
ultimatejarhead wrote:
Was it for Descent 2.0? I'm not sure what takes longer, opening the box or setting up the game!

Nope, it was a completely normal game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
Talk to me in 20 years and see where your "beloved hobbie" has gone! in the crapper cause of lazy people with their nose in a phone.

Too true. Since playing pong on my phone, I've given up playing tennis entirely.

**See! I didn't go for the easy point by saying "As long as our beloved hobby doesn't go the way of your spelling."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddy Kilowatt
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
remus wrote:

I said "In the running" It's in the top 10, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
remus wrote:

It might be outlandish to someone who has over 300 games, to just give them up and only play online or app versions of board games.

I'm writing about the newb gamer in the future, what is he/she going to choose the future or the past, Most are going to choose the future and it's full of lazy ass people trying to save time, by not playing board games and playing video games.

More people playing video board games = Less people playing Real Board Games, pretty simple to me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nyn -
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
remus wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
remus wrote:

It might be outlandish to someone who has over 300 games, to just give them up and only play online or app versions of board games.

I'm writing about the newb gamer in the future, what is he/she going to choose the future or the past, Most are going to choose the future and it's full of lazy ass people trying to save time, by not playing board games and playing video games.

More people playing video board games = Less people playing Real Board Games, pretty simple to me?

I grew up on video games. I had an Atari when my board game options were Chess and Monopoly (the Atari usually won). Now I'm one of those people with a significant board game collection who plays board games frequently. This is not a new scenario.

I think your view of people is a bit simplistic and entirely missing well understood concepts around psychological motivation. It also is ignoring ample evidence to the contrary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:

Video games have never been more popular than today yet board game sales are increasing. Until video games stop focusing on online multiplayer, the trend will continue for a while.

I love how you generalize about every video gamer as being lazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Nellis
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
*bump*

I love gaming. I also spend about 12 hours a day dealing with real people, most of whom I can't game with.

Toward the end of my 16 hour plus days, I can usually find a little bit of time to game. Sometimes this is even less time than it would take to setup a board game and I'll squeeze in a little digital entertainment.

I am guilty of trying to do much? Sure.

Am I a lazy video gamer? Screw you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russ rivet
United States
Pine City
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

No thanks dave im married!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not annoyed at all as I don't think one has anything to do with the other. I play board game apps because I don't always have a live foe against which to play. But whenever I do, I play the tabletop version instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boltspedman wrote:
remus wrote:
General_Norris wrote:
remus wrote:

This is an insulting not to mention terribly dumb conclusions upon which to jump. I can see why maybe people around you would rather play an app rather than in person on a tabletop with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hall
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing games on my ipod or android phone has been a total positive for me picking up games. For 1.99 typically, sometimes free I can test out a game and see if I like it.

For example I just bought Tichu just before the holiday season and was playing it a ton during downtime on the holidays against the AI. I was so hooked it was an instant buy and is now at my home in physical form. I can easily see this game being one that lasts in my collection for life and will work with many people. Can't wait to play it with my wife and parents since my dad is a bridge lover. They have already tried and liked Dominion and even Agricola, but I bet they will love Tichu and I might not even have it if it wasn't for the app.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.