$10.00
J. Stimson
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The situation:
1. I do not own Dominion, but want to.

2.I prefer the artwork on the "Base Cards" set and have friends who own both Basic Dominion and Intrigue, so I think I want to get Base Cards + a Different Expansion. Feel free to talk me out of this.

3.I'll be playing mostly 2-player with my girlfriend, who is a competent gamer but likes mostly lighter fare (Pandemic, TTR, Carc, Alhambra, Small World). She does enjoy more convoluted games, but it takes her a while to warm up to them (She now loves Arkham Horror, but the first couple games took some bribery to complete). She can be awfully cut-throat, so no worries there, I'm just not interested in maximal complexity quite yet.

4.I am currently thinking I should get Base Cards + Hinterlands. Is this a good idea? Is another set better for my needs? I'm particularly interested in differences in how the sets play 2-player.

5. Assuming I got just Hinterlands, what expansion would play best with it, if I decided to add one more expansion? (I am unlike to buy them all, too long a want-list.)

All feedback appreciated, I really couldn't find anything about starting with base cards and Hinterlands in the previous threads.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
We started with the basic set ... It was just right for us as we started on the road to an almost daily game play ... My wife and I. Our second was cornucopia then the five promotion cards. I suspect that whatever you get will be good. It be ones what you make of it and then it becomes pleasantly Addictive with games taking less than 30mins with the two of us and now a medium for famy interaction with our daughter and son inlaw and his two children from before (8 and 10yrs) .. They love it and got intrigue for Christmas (that's the children) and also our sons and a wife. Needlesstosay we now have all 8 sets with promos and we've even played a seven person game or two to great effect. The party atmosphere helped (ie a drink or two).
Having some of our sets in other languages also adds to the fun (intrigue and seaside in Dutch, prosperity in German and hinterlands in French!).
Enjoy whatever you get ... You know you will!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
Donald X has said (e.g. in The Secret History of the Hinterlands Cards, among other places) that at one time Hinterlands was being considered for release as a Standalone - i.e. with basic cards - so that would make it a good candidate.

But equally, all the expansions have been tested to play well with any combination, so any of the big expansions (Seaside, Prosperity, Hinterlands, Dark Ages) should be fine to play on their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
Umbrageofsnow wrote:
The situation:

2.I prefer the artwork on the "Base Cards" set and have friends who own both Basic Dominion and Intrigue, so I think I want to get Base Cards + a Different Expansion. Feel free to talk me out of this.

3.I'll be playing mostly 2-player with my girlfriend, who is a competent gamer but likes mostly lighter fare (Pandemic, TTR, Carc, Alhambra, Small World). She does enjoy more convoluted games, but it takes her a while to warm up to them (She now loves Arkham Horror, but the first couple games took some bribery to complete). She can be awfully cut-throat, so no worries there, I'm just not interested in maximal complexity quite yet.

4.I am currently thinking I should get Base Cards + Hinterlands. Is this a good idea? Is another set better for my needs?

All feedback appreciated, I really couldn't find anything about starting with base cards and Hinterlands in the previous threads.
B
Thanks!

I missed the bit about hinterlands and base. Yes! I think they go well together. You have variety and interaction with some balanced attack and reactions. It'll work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Factors to consider:

Only the two base sets have the actual rules to the game. The other expansions describe only the additional rules and card clarifications. The alternative art base card set doesn't contain rules.

Really not important if you already know how to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I started with the Base and Seaside. Duration cards really sold it for me, and she really enjoyed the play mats that come with Seaside. You wont find these options in any of the other sets (honestly
don't understand why he didn't continue making duration cards in the other sets).

Just seemed like more bang for your buck when it came to Seaside as opposed to Hinterlands. Dont get me wrong, Hinterlands is a great set, but it doesn't stand up to Seaside at all.

If I had to suggest a place order of which to buy the sets at this time, I would say (after Base):

Seaside
Prosperity
Dark Ages
Hinterlands
Intrigue (better cards then Hinterlands, but you waste a little cash by buying the base set first and then buying this one sooner because you end up re-buying around 200 cards)
Cornucopia
Alchemy

its not that Alchemy is necessarily a horrid set (my wife actually enjoys it), and right now due to its lack of popularity the price is pretty low for it. For me the price of some of the cards is way too low for what they do, and some are just unwieldy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan W.
msg tools
mbmbmb
Umbrageofsnow wrote:
The situation:

4.I am currently thinking I should get Base Cards + Hinterlands. Is this a good idea? Is another set better for my needs? I'm particularly interested in differences in how the sets play 2-player.

5. Assuming I got just Hinterlands, what expansion would play best with it, if I decided to add one more expansion? (I am unlike to buy them all, too long a want-list.)

Thanks!

Some remarks and comments:

- In general Hinterlands should work just fine as a standalone, since it was originally intended to be one

- However, Hinterlands is a quite complicated set, even though it might seem simple on first sight. I definately wouldn't recommend it as a first set.

- The Dominion base game might appear a bit rusty, but it still has some baseline cards and also some of the defining cards of the game.

- If you really intended to get Hinterlands first, I would recommend Seaside or Prosperity (or even the small Cornucopia) as a second set. The thing is, Hinterlands might be a bit tricky to play, it somewhat favors money based strategy (similar to the base game). Seaside and Prosperity could even this out a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the artwork on the Base Cards Set also but the base cards that come with Dominion and Intrigue are more self-explanatory for those just learning. Not that it takes some great thought to use the new base cards but still.

If I'm teaching Dominion to someone new I always revert back tothe original art design. They are more "in your face".

As far as Hinterlands...I don't think I would start there but you could. I would start with the original Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Dundalk
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest either Hinterlands or Intrigue.

My group finds that Seaside and Prosperity play best in tandem with other sets rather than as stand-alones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Base + prosperity is the best start imho. It will give you access to platinum and colonies, as well as a wealth of excellent cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Albano
United States
Bloomfield
NJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only expansions I don't own are Hinterlands and Intrigue. I plan on buying Intrigue soon, but I find Hinterlands to be least necessary of all expansions. It seems like it doesn't add that much.

I think Seaside or Cornucopia are the next best expansions for 2 players. They add a lot of variety and interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have no reservations about going with the base set + hinterlands. The difference in complexity between expansions other than Dark Ages or Intrigue is pretty minor (Intrigue has almost no learning curve from the base, and Dark Ages is a bit high compared to the others and it changes the game more significantly than the others).

When you buy the base+ any expansions, consider playing with the reccomended sets from the base game for your first 2 games or before trying a reccomended set from th expansion that includes Dominion + the set. That path eases you into new rules introduced in expansions alongside cards you're familiar with.

Despite all the talk about what expansion order to buy in, Dominion is a pretty easy game to expand, especially if you do it one expansion at a time in any order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colormage1 wrote:
The only expansions I don't own are Hinterlands and Intrigue. I plan on buying Intrigue soon, but I find Hinterlands to be least necessary of all expansions. It seems like it doesn't add that much.

Hinterlands is a wonderful, wonderful set. I like it much better than Cornucopia. I'd probably only put Seaside and Dark Ages in front of it. And maybe Prosperity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's worth noting that several people seem to be under the impression OP is considering the base Dominion game, where he is clearly considering the alternate artwork Base Cards.

I don't recommend this route, even though Hinterlands is an excellent expansion. The Dominion base game has a lot of cards that are the framework for an excellent game, and I think you will want them. If you are really bent on not overlapping your friends sets, then yeah, go for it. It will still be very fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Buying the base cards expansion probably isn't the best use of money compared to buying a fraction of another set + base/Intrigue. Putting that aside:

I'd start with Seaside. Seaside is relatively straightforward, unlike Hinterlands with a lot of clunky text cards. It also has fewer outright clunkers than the base set and fewer very obnoxious cards than Prosperity. I haven't tried Dark Ages.

Some people will try to tell you that durations (in Seaside) are hard to figure out or something. They are slightly more difficult than a basic Dominion card and simpler than mechanics in several games you've mentioned. I wouldn't worry about that. Duration cards are easy to forget about at first, but just don't shuffle orange cards instinctively and you'll be fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Kane
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
They'll tell you black is really white The moon is just the sun at night.
badge
And when you walk in golden halls You get to keep the gold that falls It's Heaven and Hell
mbmbmbmbmb
Fwiw I bought the base card standalone pack plus Seaside. I don't know that it's a cheap option but I like Seaside so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
pinkymadigan wrote:
I think it's worth noting that several people seem to be under the impression OP is considering the base Dominion game, where he is clearly considering the alternate artwork Base Cards.

I don't recommend this route, even though Hinterlands is an excellent expansion. The Dominion base game has a lot of cards that are the framework for an excellent game, and I think you will want them. If you are really bent on not overlapping your friends sets, then yeah, go for it. It will still be very fun.

Good point. That's what I assumed!
I was referring to the base set (ie the first version ... Not the newly printed design cards).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.