Subject: My very first out of the box play... ever! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there BGG, thought I'd drop a line to a new forum I haven't visited much before and post what happened, freshly out of the box. On to the report!

Pregame setup

Well first off, oh my geek the card shuffling. I both kind of like and kind of hate how a fresh batch of cards from the box is arranged; almost all of them are in order such as Empty Room or the like. I think I spent a good 25 minutes just shuffling the decks trying to make them look like a proper typical sorting. Every so often when shuffling a deck I'd look to see how assorted it was then do some more until it seemed at least alternating enough. That all said, I have my suspicions that they still weren't shuffled enough. I'll let you DQ vets decide after reading the rest. Anyways, I pulled a random hero and a random rune, I got Challara with the magic Open Sesame door/portcullis rune (you'll have to forgive me on names, sorry). Read her ability which seemed top notch, and off I went. Oh and I should mention this was solo with one hero as well.

Getting into a Dragon's lair to raid gold? Seems easy enough...

Well at first, it did seem fairly easy, although a bit tense. Early on dungeon card draws were simple ones, coupled with her ability to take a redraw if she didn't like the first one. I think the most harm that came to me was a skeleton's old bones but it didn't actually come alive. Soon though I got a card where a wizard decided to randomly spin corridors, but I was amused it was a 4 way intersection only. Pretty soon I was sent down to the catacombs, and wanted to see the dimly lit sights. I only came across a rat horde which did around 3 wounds, that kinda hurt with Challara only having 12. Still, the next Catacomb card was the exit, and not shockingly I opted to take the path closer to the treasure hoard in the center. Soon I came across my first roadblock, an empty room with a search icon. I elected to try and search, despite its own dungeon card being another path to the catacombs I just had left, not to mention moving in the direction away from the dragon's gold was not where I wanted to be yet. So that said, my search turned up a secret door and the tile I drew was a rotating room. I'm not too sure I played the rotating room right, or it was just the best possible tile at the time, because instead of a hazard it pointed me much closer to Kallandra's riches. Pretty quickly after that, I was in and happier than a pig in..... Ya, that stuff.

I'd like to make a couple withdrawals please, thanks Mr Big Scary Dragon

So I pulled my first dragon card and wasn't burnt by him, and pulled some decent stuff. I thought a 1/7 chance the next turn to pull loot again isn't so bad so I stopped to do it again. Pulled a loot item that was a harp, that had a very interesting ability; dragon card draws are now 2 cards at a time. Needless to say, I didn't want to try to push my luck any farther with that, but nice thought nonetheless. So I ventured out northwards, and came across a spider web. Challara has low strength so I wasn't keen on trying it, especially with her potentially getting stuck for some time there. I retreated back into the dragon chamber and had to pull 2 cards, resulting in four more cards of loot. I tried to exit again to the east this time, pulled a bridge card. I was just shaking my head at the bridge roll being negatively affected by extra loot, I think it made it very nearly mathematically impossible to do and I didn't want to risk getting lost in Catacombs again. So, back to the treasure room for 2 more dragon cards both of which were fine, and one treasure was a forbidden book that required some 2d6 rolling if I wanted to use it. Too stupid to know any better, and assuming if I took an average result it wouldn't matter much, I rolled a 3. I'd like to point out instant death is on a 2. Wow that was close. I still took a lot of wounds though, 4 more to bring me up to 7/12. I've been "hit" twice and I'm already half dead, yikes. By now the sun counter was past the halfway point and I was starting to panic, just because I got a ton of loot didn't mean it was a sure thing to get out again, that much was becoming very apparent!

The Grand Escape

Well as you can see in the image on the left here, I had pretty much a straight path back out except when I drew a bridge and said not a chance to what was now totally impossible to do without falling in. Also each dungeon card draw was still coming up simple for me, they were almost entirely ones that said I may search the crypt deck (no thanks!) or may search a corpse (also no thanks!). They were however dropping portcullis after portcullis behind me, so it was pretty much a one way trip despite the sun track confirming I have almost zero time to get held up or
backtrack. Soon it came down to a tile adjacent to the tower, all I needed was one last connection and... BAM! Exact opposite direction I needed. Of course. By now I was rolling the 1-2 space slot on the sun track I might add too, eep. It did have a search icon on it though, so I hoped to get miraculous luck and draw a secret door to put myself out to the tower and escape, but instead it came up with another path to the catacombs. Sun track moved to 1-3, and of course I promptly failed that roll with a 3, and the gates slammed shut to my greedy hero forever. I looked at the large pile of loot and sighed that I didn't get to take it out with me. One card required a 2d6 roll to see what happens so I did that just so I knew a final gold total that I lost, and you can look to your right or read on and cry with me: 9,251 on my first game ever. On a whim, I checked to see what search card was next if I had succeeded that sun track roll. It was a secret door. Sigh.

Aftermath

Well simply put, I had a lot of fun. I don't think I had many rule mistakes or questions, but I did have one: would a secret door be able to lead to a tower for an escape? I didn't really see why not but maybe I missed something somewhere. I definitely suspected the card decks still weren't shuffled enough, considering I never had any combat at all and often had easy choices on dungeon cards. I mean come on, I'm carrying a bunch of loot cards and things give me a "may" do something that will kill me? She may be dead now, but Challara wasn't that gullible. Still, I will definitely be playing this again and I'm most impressed with how quickly a game can be completed, a big change for me. Will play again more this week I'm sure, so happy gaming to everyone.

I rate it a solid 9.2 crayons out of a possible 32 gophers.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Palatine
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not bad for a first time. My very first play was the swinging blade trap on my first tile. My luckless hero...the dwarf...was sliced in two just as the day was starting. My went on to pull 3 dragon horde turns, and escaped with will over 20,000 gold. The jokes on him, of course, because he'll never be able to do that well again in his life.

Although he does seem to do very well at this game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
9000, nice. My top score is 6510 or so. I get out in most of my games, but I don't find that much gold.

It's a lot of fun to play alone, and ultra quick then. Even the battle system for single play is pretty swift.

With other players, even though it's multiplayer solitaire, the game gets another dimension. You try to get better score than others and because of that people get too greedy and die much more often But the battle system can be hard to grasp at first. I like it, because it allows some planning and mind games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph LaClair
United States
Watertown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest, first introduced to me in the 80's. The first game I had ever played where everyone can lose, no winners. Loved it then and love it now. No strategy, no plan, just deal with what's thrown at you and hope for the best.

I also loved the paper rock sissors from the original, I have a friend who drives me nuts when we play this as he just draws his cards randomly. Me:"NO, you have to pick a card, try to out think me." Him: "No I don't." Me: "ARRRGGHHH!"

I appreciate what they tried to do with the new combat system and I guess it kinda works but it takes the game a little more serious than it is. It's not a deep combat game (not that the combat system is terribly deep) and it makes it slightly more complicated than it should be.

Paper rock sissors worked perfectly for this game and they eventually put those rules on their site. Personally I think the card system hurt sales but I have no proof of that. It's too bad that it didn't sell as well as hoped beause fans of the game (myself included) were hoping for expansions and with all of the existing heroes in the Terrinoth world the possibilities were wide open.

Anyhow, great session report and this will not be the last time you get right to the exit only to have the door slam shut in your face. ENJOY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Burk
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance!
badge
Rakes, my arch enemy.
mbmbmbmbmb
kingbobb wrote:
Not bad for a first time. My very first play was the swinging blade trap on my first tile. My luckless hero...the dwarf...was sliced in two just as the day was starting. My went on to pull 3 dragon horde turns, and escaped with will over 20,000 gold. The jokes on him, of course, because he'll never be able to do that well again in his life.

Thanks for that, I too am kind of worried I won't get a run again like that for a while. Truthfully that was one of the reasons I decided to make a session report. I sort of set the bar (minus you know, winning... small details) and now I got to try and beat it. Or die trying again and again again and again...

Areinu wrote:
But the battle system can be hard to grasp at first. I like it, because it allows some planning and mind games.

Actually one of the reasons I was drawn to this game is because of the combat mechanic. Getting into someone's head and trying to read what they might do is something I'm more than familiar with, I play street fighter fighting games at a tournament level so I'm just excited to see it come into play here. Looking very forward to it and thanks for commenting!

jphien wrote:
I also loved the paper rock sissors from the original, I have a friend who drives me nuts when we play this as he just draws his cards randomly. Me:"NO, you have to pick a card, try to out think me." Him: "No I don't." Me: "ARRRGGHHH!"

I know that feeling all too well from street fighter, as mentioned above. Mind games don't work on people who play without thinking and it is pretty frustrating. My only counter to that is to play equally crazy until they snap and realize they require tactics to win, but I don't know if that will translate to this due to card drawing nature. Excited still though.

Quote:
Anyhow, great session report and this will not be the last time you get right to the exit only to have the door slam shut in your face. ENJOY!

Thank you sir, and I would expect nothing less from a game with this kind of pedigree. Now one last letter to write and I'll be off to play again.

Dear Mr/Ms Dungeon Quest,
May I have another?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With people who seem to either not care or not grasp the combat system I suggest "just put the highest number you have out there and see what happens". They usually start thinking after few fights... Or they die horribly from deadly blows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
With people who seem to either not care or not grasp the combat system I suggest "just put the highest number you have out there and see what happens". They usually start thinking after few fights... Or they die horribly from deadly blows.

With the old style there are just 3 cards, it is basically luck. Besides you are going to die anyway. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Barnett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played this for the first time too - solo to learn the rules to play later with my children - but what a lot of fun it was.

I pitted Krutzbeck against Tatianna. Krutzbeck made his way to the dragon's lair with not too much difficulty (taking out a golem and forcing his way through a cave-in on the way). Unfortunately, he drew Dragon Rage on his second draw in the treasure room and suffered 9 wounds.

Tatianna made her way close to the treasure hall through the Catacombs, avoiding her only monster with her runecard. But the dungeon tiles just wouldn't fall for her, sending her off in the wrong direction to a trap room, which she ended up visiting twice due to a bad roll on a "dark" room...

Undeterred by his roasting, Krutzbeck went back in, picked up four treasures, and headed back out - time getting short now. Meanwhile, Tatianna gave up on ever getting to the treasure room and also headed home. Both now found there way into the Catacombs. Krutzbeck made it all the way to the dungeon outer wall, climbed out of a hole in the roof second attempt and was one tile away from escape with his loot with 16/20 wounds. Tatianna, meanwhile, picked up a couple of treasure chests in an epic Catacomb crawl and came back out on Krtutzbeck's way in, so had a straightforward route back out - barring any nasty surprises in the dungeon cards - with 12/14 wounds. In the event, it was an empty room and she was out - two dice rolls later showed she had 1300 gold in her treasure chests.

But Krutzbeck's haul easily exceeded that - with just one more dungeon tile to draw.... but he turns over (of all the tiles), the bottomless pit.... a forlorn attempt to jump it ends in failure... it just wasn't Krutzbeck's lucky day...

I have seen that a lot of people dismiss Dungeonquest - I even saw Tom Vassel's video review (I normally like them a lot, but this time he completely misses the point of the total relief of drawing an "empty room") - clearly it isn't deep and there isn't a lot (any?) strategy - but if it plays anything like this each time and generates this level of story and tension, who cares....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Bowers
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
barnetto wrote:
I even saw Tom Vassel's video review (I normally like them a lot, but this time he completely misses the point of the total relief of drawing an "empty room")

This! I remember watching and thinking "too many empty rooms? More like not enough!" It is a relief to see that card. I mean I get why some people don't like the game, it is all about luck and if you don't find hat fun you will hate the game (and life for that matter). But there is nothing better than knocking back some brews and laughing at how you and your buddies buy the farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's some strategy, experienced players tend to come out alive a lot more often than newcomers.

Well, it usually comes to how greedy you are.

Krutzbeck actually is pretty bad in catacombs, because all monsters are surprise attacks, and they upfront deal as many wounds as you failed your luck test by... And Krutzbeck has only 3 luck... In our games he barely ever comes out alive out of catacombs. Some fighter he is.

Once all players get hang of battle strategy Krutzbeck becomes really awful, because he HAS to fight, and we usually can make monsters do pretty well. Sure, Krutzbeck has some nice fighting skills, but those are all red. Getting nice death blow into him happens often. Hugo is much better fighter, because he is immune to death blows, meaning he rarely loses more than 1-2 wounds per attack... And death blows accumulate only for him, so even if he gets beaten for few rounds once he hits at least once it usually will kill the enemy.

Our group gives out characters randomly, and allows redraw if someone gets Krutzbeck, because he is so awful...
*3 luck gets you killed on bottomless pits and in catacombs
*5 armor gives you 72% chance to die on cutting blade
*you cannot run away from fights, which leads to battles when running away would be better
*he is not that good of a fighter. His skills are alright, but easy to counter. +1 card doesn't help much

All he has going for him is his high HP and he is spider web killer. Nothing more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cadu
Brazil
São Gonçalo
Rio de Janeiro
flag msg tools
Spectreman fan!
mbmbmbmbmb
Areinu wrote:
*he is not that good of a fighter. His skills are alright, but easy to counter. +1 card doesn't help much.

I dont like Krutzbeck so much too, but I disagree with this statement. Plus one card in combat helps a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No when all of them are 1's. Krutzbeck can be winning his battle against troll or golem, and he needs to lose just 1 bout to suddenly get 10+ wounds on him from deathly blow. Compare this to Hugo which is almost unkillable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.