Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
My second solo game of the day saw me playing Tyr, who has the ability to reroll the die. My initial assumption was this was only for battles, but it didn't take me that long before I was checking to see if I could reroll it whenever... and yes, I could.

As a result, Jörmungandr wasn't spending any time making the white island inaccessible. (Which was odd, since I was very good rolling blanks twice in a row when battling). My initial actions were "elf, weapon, fight" which moved into "weapon, Muspelheim, fight", which quickly cleared the white bag of fire giants.

I basically ignored the movement of Jörmungand and Nisbolg; only slapping them when they got just a bit too far ahead. Most of the other enemies never got the chance to get into the second zone; the rerolling of the die when coupled with a full set of 3-weapons was too much for them.

And, once my trips into Muspelheim had cleared the white bag of giants, it was easy enough to go "Helheim, Midgard, Fight", which replenished my Einherjar and allowed me to continue slapping down the enemies with ease. Loki was late in getting started, and the giants never really troubled me - it was easy to slay them once they started. I didn't get any runes completed this game, but I didn't need them.

At this point, I think I've solved the basic strategy of the game. Each of the gods will have their own tweaks on it, but I really need to include some of the other cards in the deck to make the game challenging enough to be worth playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MerricB wrote:

At this point, I think I've solved the basic strategy of the game strategy of the basic game. Each of the gods will have their own tweaks on it, but I really need to include some of the other cards in the deck to make the game challenging enough to be worth playing.

With a few very minor quibbles,I do think you've solved the strategy of the basic game. With each rise of difficulty level, I find the former decent strategy needs to be re-tooled significantly.

By the way, you will also find the game much, much more difficult the more gods that are in the game. I find one-deity-solitaire fairly dull, except at the very highest levels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.