Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WotC have put up a gallery for "Blood of Gruumsh", and as it happened for "Curse of Undeath" they'll add new previews as the release gets closer.

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4dnd/duncommga...

For now, we can view the Wereboar (and corresponding Creature card).

Regards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I got all excited when I saw there was a preview, but then it turned out it's only the card we've already seen. :\

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get more soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
I got all excited when I saw there was a preview, but then it turned out it's only the card we've already seen. :\

Oh well, I'm sure we'll get more soon

I know, I felt the same way. I was also a bit disappointed that they didn't mention that all the miniatures in the set are new, and feature newly designed creatures for the next version of D&D, etc. Seems to me like they're not trying to sell it very hard.

Or maybe they're waiting for the next "In the works" article.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never try to figure out why WotC does things the way they do. They operate on their own wavelenght.

I wonder which minis are the duplicates?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:

None, all are new. This set will showcase the new look for these monsters that will appear in D&D 5e's monster manual. Hopefully future sets will follow the same path.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon came up with a very probable list of minis (taken from here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10597957#10597957):

1x Orc Chieftain
1x Cleric of Gruumsh
1x Orc Druid
1x Orc Champion-type (with the large axe)
2x Orc Archer
2x Orc Warrior-type (with the club)
1x Boar (of Dire Boar)
1x Wereboar
1x Ogre
1x Owlbear

So the duplicates (by which I think you mean the ones which there is two of) are Orc Archers and the "Orc Warrior-type (with the club)" which is seen (as a shadow for now) in the gallery on the third row, on the right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Cracky wrote:

None, all are new. This set will showcase the new look for these monsters that will appear in D&D 5e's monster manual. Hopefully future sets will follow the same path.

I meant which ones are there two of...

===================================

What excactly is the difference between an Orc from an older edition of D&D and the next edition? An orc is an orc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cracky wrote:
What excactly is the difference between an Orc from an older edition of D&D and the next edition? An orc is an orc.

Your guess is as good as mine. To me, the Blood of Gruumsh cover doesn't reveal any important changes in the look of the orcs, or the ogre for that matter. Especially since even within the confines of one specific edition, the look tends to vary from one artist to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the tough D&D4e orcs. It provides a good race of bad guys to challenge parties with once they've leveled up past goblins and kobolds.

These dudes are looking pretty beefy, this is going to be a good warband.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
More creatures are up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
More creatures are up!

And now... they're gone. Which one was it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Gone? I'm still seeing them...

Do these links work for you?

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/080125_DnD_Skirmish_Gruums...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/10feb08_DnD_Skirmish_Gruum...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/12_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh.jp...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/060125_DnD_Skirmish_Gruums...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/02feb_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh...

The Owlbear also has a filled-in image but the link is broken for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the Ogre's +1 to Morale, can visualize the warband cheering when this bad guy appears. But an Ogre at Level 6 and does 50 damage??? How are they gonna come out with any Giants now?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Yeah the Ogre ability is really flavorful for the orc warband. I am still reeling from the Chieftain - it seems extremely powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
Yeah the Ogre ability is really flavorful for the orc warband. I am still reeling from the Chieftain - it seems extremely powerful.

Maybe he should be limited as a unique, it would really be thematically odd to have 4 chieftains in the warband.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:

Weird. The links you provided work fine, but when I view the gallery only the Wereboar is revealed.

Anyway, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizards will fill in the gallery gradually. Nutshell is just giving us a sneak preview.

shhhh.. don't tell anyone ninja

======== edit

The Orc Drudge is a D&D4e minion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Gingras
Canada
Sorel-Tracy
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orc Druid: "When deploying any Beast or Elemental creature, you can place it in any unoccupied square adjacent to this creature."

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws here, but this gives me hope that more sets will be released, since so far we only have one official creature with the Elemental keyword, the Earth Guardian.

Also, I may be a bit slow this morning, but I'm not a 100% sure I understand the Orc Chieftain's power. It's the word "reveal" that confuses me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Two more! Wow the orcs look powerful. Also, I'm surprised at how much Con there is among the creature ability scores; I didn't expect to see many more Con cards.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/01_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh.jp...

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/03_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh.jp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's a powerful "Boar".

Would have been better if they could use more appropriate names like Ogre Warhulk and Thundertusk/Dire Boar so that at least it corresponds with the stats we are seeing.

Can't wait to see their Order cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Even more! This makes all the creature cards except the Owlbear. I'm particularly happy to see that we're getting another creature who can use Lolth's Blessing.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/0718_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh....

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/0518_DnD_Skirmish_Gruumsh....

EDIT: By the way, it seems pretty clear to me that most of these were not intended to be previewed yet. Something weird is going on with the gallery page...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Mayfair Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the linkage, I was just coming to report on the 2 extra ones I saw revealed.

There's a lot of good stuff, but nothing that really wows me just yet. Orc Chieftain is definitely the pick of the litter so far, til we know what the Owlbear brings to the table.

- Ogre sacrifices 20hp for that +1 morale. Technically more; he's a CON piece. Horned Devil is a L6 CON CHA with 140HP and some more interesting abilities and only 10 less damage a swing.

- Orc Chieftain is nice, but definitely says "I'm just running an Orc Band". And you REALLY want him in your first deployment. I agree that thematically he should be unique. He pairs nicely with Snig, making Snig a strong commander all of a sudden. You also kinda want him to rush in and die in a blaze of glory so you can drop a second one and MORE ORCS. Level 5 is a big price to pay in any warband though, and if you're not dropping some excellent Orcs with this guy you're not getting much mileage for the morale risk.

- Orc Archer is Drow Wizard with CON instead of INT. INT has a better toolbox when it comes to squishy ranged pieces.

- Orc Cleric gets an order card at the expense of damage. Would rather see him a lower level to take advantage of the chieftain ability, but I am excited by the prospect of high level WIS cards showing up (though its not likely we'll see higher than L3, which can be cast by more critters).

- Orc Barbarian is a better take on the Bugbear. Better damage output - level&HP ratio.

- Boar is OK, will be interested to see if there is an order card that swaps it out for the wereboar or vice versa?

-

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
950Rav wrote:
- Ogre sacrifices 20hp for that +1 morale. Technically more; he's a CON piece. Horned Devil is a L6 CON CHA with 140HP and some more interesting abilities and only 10 less damage a swing.

I think that +10 damage is worth a lot. Str+Con gives him a lot of options: with Undaunted Surge and any +30 attack card, he hits for a whopping 90. That's a one-hit kill on a bugbear. The only thing that really tops is it Killing Blow and GUESS WHAT he can use that too.

Quote:
- Orc Chieftain is nice, but definitely says "I'm just running an Orc Band". And you REALLY want him in your first deployment. I agree that thematically he should be unique. He pairs nicely with Snig, making Snig a strong commander all of a sudden. You also kinda want him to rush in and die in a blaze of glory so you can drop a second one and MORE ORCS. Level 5 is a big price to pay in any warband though, and if you're not dropping some excellent Orcs with this guy you're not getting much mileage for the morale risk.

Snig is already strong, but you have to build your deck to take advantage of him. Anyway yeah, the Chieftain seems like he's going to be super powerful. Even if you didn't get an extra orc, he's only a little weaker than a bugbear (+10 damage vs Dex and the untap ability is a pretty close trade I think!)

Quote:
- Orc Archer is Drow Wizard with CON instead of INT. INT has a better toolbox when it comes to squishy ranged pieces.

Agreed, but the Drow Wizard is one of the best creatures in the game, so weaker than that is still pretty good. I expect the Orc Archer to be an important part of the Dex/Con Beast deck I'm pondering...

Quote:
- Orc Cleric gets an order card at the expense of damage. Would rather see him a lower level to take advantage of the chieftain ability, but I am excited by the prospect of high level WIS cards showing up (though its not likely we'll see higher than L3, which can be cast by more critters).

At the expense of damage? You are comparing him to a Dragon Knight I guess? He's tough enough though that he doesn't really want to spend his turns hiding around corners and draw cards like a Drow Priestess, so I'm really curious to see what Wis Order cards we get.

Quote:
- Orc Barbarian is a better take on the Bugbear. Better damage output - level&HP ratio.

Better how? Without Dex, you can't play most of the Bugbear Bowling games with him, but yeah he's still solid. Hmm, I keep talking about bugbears...

Quote:
- Boar is OK, will be interested to see if there is an order card that swaps it out for the wereboar or vice versa?

*continues pondering that Beast deck*

EDIT: You know, you didn't even mention the Orc Druid, who I've already established is interesting for building a deck around its ability (other than that though, we'll have to see what the Wis cards can do), or the Orc Drudge, which is probably the best melee 1-drop. Overall I'm quite excited for what this set will bring to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Mayfair Games
mbmbmbmbmb
InfiniteNutshell wrote:
I think that +10 damage is worth a lot. Str+Con gives him a lot of options: with Undaunted Surge and any +30 attack card, he hits for a whopping 90. That's a one-hit kill on a bugbear. The only thing that really tops is it Killing Blow and GUESS WHAT he can use that too.

Yes, its a pile... but current meta favors multiple pieces with lower power... and the hit for 90 example gives you a pretty good idea just how low his HP is for his level.

Quote:
Snig is already strong, but you have to build your deck to take advantage of him. Anyway yeah, the Chieftain seems like he's going to be super powerful. Even if you didn't get an extra orc, he's only a little weaker than a bugbear (+10 damage vs Dex and the untap ability is a pretty close trade I think!)

Snig is neat, but his leadership is very low. Compared to a Commander like Tarkon Draal, he's not an optimal choice. The chieftain changes that in a big way, and Snig's creature hand almost ensures you'll start the game with one.

Quote:
At the expense of damage? You are comparing him to a Dragon Knight I guess? He's tough enough though that he doesn't really want to spend his turns hiding around corners and draw cards like a Drow Priestess, so I'm really curious to see what Wis Order cards we get.

Yeah. For L5, drawing an order card as a bonus doesn't really excite me... I'd rather have a stronger permanent ability or stats.

Quote:
Better how? Without Dex, you can't play most of the Bugbear Bowling games with him, but yeah he's still solid. Hmm, I keep talking about bugbears...

True, no access to the Quick Jab. However, its easier to deploy... and two of them adjacent to a single target that dies = both untap. Would be amusing to see a Cuisinart warband featuring both bugbears and orcs...

Quote:
EDIT: You know, you didn't even mention the Orc Druid, who I've already established is interesting for building a deck around its ability (other than that though, we'll have to see what the Wis cards can do), or the Orc Drudge, which is probably the best melee 1-drop. Overall I'm quite excited for what this set will bring to the game.

The Orc Druid doesn't get a mention because it doesn't do anything really exciting. Its the Drow Priestess with CON instead of DEX and a different deploy ability... and it can't use Lolth's Blessing, its not evil. WIS Order cards might help, but its nothing I'd build a band around. And at L3, would you rather have it or a Dwarf Cleric?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nut
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
950Rav wrote:
current meta favors multiple pieces with lower power

Does it? Around here I'd say the metagame is pretty favorable to a single big hitter. Preferably with Tough as Nails attached. Of course there are a lot of other factors, but I'll definitely at least have a use for the Ogre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.