Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our second time playing. I did much better than our first play through - I lost with 33 points to my husband's 36 points - but overall I’m finding the game a little boring. Yes, there are risks you can take, and maybe I didn’t take enough risks – I do tend to play things safe. But I don’t find the game very exciting or interesting.

I didn’t have much trouble filling up 3 of my areas completely with animals and expand once to get that area with 2 animals, though I was only able to get one pair of animals to get a baby animal. My husband, however, was able to expand his zoo twice and get three areas complete like me, but had more animals in his extra two spots. I think he was able to pair up two sets of animals for 2 babies. He even had an animal in his barn at the end of the game, which gave him a negative, but he still garnered more points than I did.

I can see that it’d be good for kids and introducing them to gaming. The strategy is very light and the theme is light too. I guess when I was looking this up, I was expecting a bit… more. I can see us playing this occasionally when we want a light game to pass the time, especially since it only took 45 minutes to play. But I can see us, well at least me, losing interest in the repetitive nature of it. There’s not a lot of variety to the game, but maybe that’s what the expansions are for. Good thing we got it on clearance from Target or I’d be upset about the money I wasted on this.

Maybe when my friends’ kids grow up, I’ll teach them this game. Then it’ll be worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zooloretto is a very light game indeed, at less than 2 on the weight scale. If you prefer games over 3 on the scale, such as agricola le havre or castles of burgandy, then zooloretto will definitely feel boring. I'm bored with it also.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays better with more players, as many as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know I'm not the only one bored with it. We do typically play the weightier games. But I was hoping for a light game we could enjoy every now and then when we don't have time for Agricola and such. But this one isn't fun, even though it fits the light and quick requirements.

Maybe it'll be something to introduce some of my non-gamer friends to. That way we can play with more players and see how that goes. Maybe it'll be more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miira Auroora
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should never play Zooloretto with only 2 people. I don't understand why the box says 2-5 when it clearly isn't meant for less than 3.

But yes, it's light. We've enjoyed it though, but we usually play with 4 and with some expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Miiru wrote:
You should never play Zooloretto with only 2 people. I don't understand why the box says 2-5 when it clearly isn't meant for less than 3.

But yes, it's light. We've enjoyed it though, but we usually play with 4 and with some expansions.

I was wondering about the expansions, if those make it more fun. Do you have any that you'd suggest to get first to make the game more interesting?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Bowles
Australia
Tatura
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SilvaShado wrote:
Miiru wrote:

I was wondering about the expansions, if those make it more fun. Do you have any that you'd suggest to get first to make the game more interesting?

the expansions basically come in two groups - Zooloretto: Rio Grande Games Expansion Pack #1 and Zooloretto: Rio Grande Games Expansion Pack #2.
It might be possible to order the mini expansions seperately aswell.
Some of them add a few extra buildings so you can have more space for a price, others offer a once-off special exhibition (eg. Polar bear).

I think adding these would give you the novelty feel for a few more games and certainly you could add them one at a time and prolong the novelty, but I don't know if it would drag the game from "boring" to "interesting" for a long time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
balzi wrote:
the expansions basically come in two groups - Zooloretto: Rio Grande Games Expansion Pack #1 and Zooloretto: Rio Grande Games Expansion Pack #2.
It might be possible to order the mini expansions seperately aswell.
Some of them add a few extra buildings so you can have more space for a price, others offer a once-off special exhibition (eg. Polar bear).

I think adding these would give you the novelty feel for a few more games and certainly you could add them one at a time and prolong the novelty, but I don't know if it would drag the game from "boring" to "interesting" for a long time.

Thanks for the links and advice. I don't think this game will ever be on the top of any of my lists, nor really at the bottom. However, my husband has pointed out a few of our friends that this game would be good for to introduce them to "harder" games. So we may pick up expansions, if only to make it a bit more interesting for us while we use this game as a teaching tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miira Auroora
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I wasn't talking about those rio grande expansion packs, I was referring to he real expansions like Zooloretto XXL which has a way you can send animals away to other zoos. And Zooloretto Exotic brings new stuff to the board, tons of new animals and different mechanism to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miira Auroora
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and forgot to say, that we actually prefer Aquaretto, which is IMHO a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Miiru wrote:
Actually I wasn't talking about those rio grande expansion packs, I was referring to he real expansions like Zooloretto XXL which has a way you can send animals away to other zoos. And Zooloretto Exotic brings new stuff to the board, tons of new animals and different mechanism to the game.

Oh, I was wondering about those. Those are easier to get than those small expansion packs. I like the idea of new mechanism.

Miiru wrote:
Oh, and forgot to say, that we actually prefer Aquaretto, which is IMHO a better game.

Hadn't heard of that. Maybe we'll look into that and trade in Zooloretto. Though my husband likes the game, but then I think it's because he's won the first two games we've played. ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Brewer
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
especially since it only took 45 minutes to play.

I hope that includes set up and clear up! I would have hoped you could get through an actual game in 15-20 mins. Zooloretto for 2 is really just a light filler. With more than 2, it's a light family game.

Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Reed
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mikeb13603 wrote:
Quote:
especially since it only took 45 minutes to play.

I hope that includes set up and clear up! I would have hoped you could get through an actual game in 15-20 mins. Zooloretto for 2 is really just a light filler. With more than 2, it's a light family game.

Mike

Um.. yes... but we tend to overthink things in general so whatever time is on the box, we typically add 30-60 minutes.

Plus, with my husband's vision disabilities, that adds time on its own. Thankfully for this game, there's no cards to keep secret so the time added is minimal and is me helping him place tiles on the board in the correct spots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.