Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I was at a pub trivia event last night, and this was one of the questions:

After Chess and Checkers, what is the most popular board game in the world?

Of course, there are multiple ways this could be interpreted: most people who play it, most units sold, highest ranking on BGG, etc.

I assumed that the question was asking about the most people who play the game, and convinced my team to guess Go. The correct answer, according to the answer guy, was Monopoly. I did a quick Google search on my phone (after the fact, I wasn't cheating), and the only information I could find was a couple of "Top 20 board games of all time" lists on random websites, which supported his answer. Of course, this may have been where he got the question in the first place, begging the question.

Does anyone have any idea of the actual answer to this question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be surprised if Go isn't played more frequently than Monopoly. I actually suspect Go's probably the most played game in the world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup seems highly dubious. I'd expect Go to be played more often than Chess or Checkers. The number one selling board game, with easy to gather stats would clearly be Monopoly.

I'd also expect to see Mahjong and Backgammon in the top 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I'm not sure this is even answerable, because it depends so much on what is meant by "popular" in this context. Most owned? Most played? Top score on BGG?

I would concur that the top two would likely be chess and go, but with nothing to back that up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I'd be surprised if Go isn't played more frequently than Monopoly. I actually suspect Go's probably the most played game in the world.

Popular is defined as 'most held by the populace'... Most played.

That would clearly put Go in first place.

I'd also think Chinese Chess is way up there too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had never heard of Go until recently, so I would find it hard to believe that it would be more popular than Monopoly, otherwise I would have heard of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think "most popular" is not the same as "most played". It's about people who "know" (have heard of) a specific game, but haven't necessarily played that game. This includes "non-boardgamers" - there are plenty of people who don't know the rules for chess, never have played chess, but do know that this is a game and has something to do with a king and a board made of black and white squares.

Go, on the other hand, while popular in Asia, is not exactly common knowledge in western countries. Show someone who's not a boardgamegeek a chess board, and he will say "chess". Show them a Go board, chances are they can't relate.

As for Monopoly, I don't know how "common" it is in non-western cultures. I'd assume that it is the 3rd most popular game in the western world. (And what about Pachisi, by the way?). In Asia... different matter?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would imagine that "most popular" in this context means "sold the most copies". In that case, it probably is Monopoly, at least as far as actual figures could be found. All those versions, all those countries...

It's certainly possible that Go has sold more copies in reality. But it's existed since long before modern copyright, and is presumably most popular in China, so accurate figures are probably hard to come by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I had never heard of Go until recently, so I would find it hard to believe that it would be more popular than Monopoly, otherwise I would have heard of it.

However, there are 1.3 billion people in China and Go is taught from kindergarden on up.

The thread clearly states "in the world".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very difficult issue. There is a lot of facts to have in mind to find an adequate answer, I guess there's people playing Go since 3000 years, but never was so many people in the world as today. Probably there's more people playing Monopoly right now around the world than people has played Go through the history...

I think this question should be bounded by centuries or decades or any criteria. Boardgames from diferent ages can't be compared this way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I can't tell if you are trolling. Go is definitely at least number 3. It might be number 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I've been told that Carrom is the most popular boardgame in the world mostly due to its prevalence in the Indian Subcontinent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon DeSmet
United Kingdom
Leeds
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chinese Chess ism probably the most popular game in the world. Most of Asia plays it. Chinese people play it a lot.

I put chess in second,

then if we accept card games; poker.

If we don't accept card games Mahjongg or Checkers

Go is massively popular in Japan, and more middling in Korea and China (compared with the popularity of Chinese chess or Mahjongg). Go doesn't appear to be that big in europe, i don't know about state side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

However, there are 1.3 billion people in China and Go is taught from kindergarden on up.

But China isn't the entire world. If I asked all of my friends and family what Go is, maybe one person would be able to answer correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xipuloxx wrote:
I would imagine that "most popular" in this context means "sold the most copies".

Actually, it occurs to me that it might even mean "sold the most copies in the last year" -- i.e it's the most popular board game right now (at least in terms of purchases).

I have to say that I think it's a bad question -- too ambiguous. I've run pub quizzes (well, table quizzes, but same thing), and I always made an effort to eliminate ambiguity from the questions. I was also always happy to clarify them if asked (within reason)*.

*Unfortunately, this can backfire. Once I asked "What is the sixth largest object in the solar system?" and someone asked "Do you mean object, or planet?"-- which ruined my trap for the unwary, because I'd hoped some people would just count the planets and forget about the sun!

shake

(The answer is
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Earth
btw!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
New Westminster
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Please wait.
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
But China isn't the entire world. If I asked all of my friends and family what Go is, maybe one person would be able to answer correctly.

"I don't understand how Nixon got elected. Nobody I know voted for him."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Add in other Asian countries. You are seriously looking at this from a US only point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

But, er, in population terms, China is more of the entire world than the US is, and certainly more than all of your friends and family.

ETA: Can this be real? Are we getting trolled?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Turner
United States
flag msg tools
mlcarter815 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Just because 300 million Americans haven't heard of something doesn't mean that it isn't popular among 1.3 billion Chinese. If only 1/4 of the Chinese play it, that is still more than the total number of Americans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bert37 wrote:
Very difficult issue. There is a lot of facts to have in mind to find an adequate answer, I guess there's people playing Go since 3000 years, but never was so many people in the world as today. Probably there's more people playing Monopoly right now around the world than people has played Go through the history...

Very unlikely. You're discounting a rather large Chinese population, and perhaps also suffering from the common misconception that there are more human beings alive today than have lived in all previous history, which is remarkably wrong. Someone can berate me if I'm wrong, but last I read, something on the order of 100 billion human beings have been born members of the species homo sapiens since our obnoxious species has been around.* That and the fact that Go has been around far longer than Monopoly tells us that Go players past and present far, far outnumber Monopoly players.

*And undoubtedly a few who couldn't quite qualify, even now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sturner wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Just because 300 million Americans haven't heard of something doesn't mean that it isn't popular among 1.3 billion Chinese. If only 1/4 of the Chinese play it, that is still more than the total number of Americans.

I guess there's currently more chinese people playing Monopoly than Go laugh

Anyway, it's a good match to know which one has been more played worldwide: Monopoly in a century or Go since 1.000 BC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterG wrote:

Very unlikely. You're discounting a rather large Chinese population, and perhaps also suffering from the common misconception that there are more human beings alive today than have lived in all previous history, which is remarkably wrong. Someone can berate me if I'm wrong, but last I read, something on the order of 100 billion human beings have been born members of the species homo sapiens since our obnoxious species has been around.* That and the fact that Go has been around far longer than Monopoly tells us that Go players past and present far, far outnumber Monopoly players.

*And undoubtedly a few who couldn't quite qualify, even now

You're right, but I guess only a few % of this "older" population were able to play boardgames... cause the majority of the population doesn't have access nor knowledge to games. They're working (or dying at very short age).

I means, in the last century probably boardgames has been played more than all previous centuries together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bert37 wrote:

Based on what? Just like there is training and tournaments for Chess there is the same for Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I concur - China isn't the entire world.

America is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Bert37 wrote:

Based on what? Just like there is training and tournaments for Chess there is the same for Go.

I think Monopoly is currently more popular than Go in China, but I don't have figures

In fact I could see around me, for example, a lot of people buying Monopoly for christmas season, but no one buys Go, Parchis (very popular in Spain several decades ago), and so... it's just my perception, but of course I could be very mistaken.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.