Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
sturner wrote:

Just because 300 million Americans haven't heard of something doesn't mean that it isn't popular among 1.3 billion Chinese. If only 1/4 of the Chinese play it, that is still more than the total number of Americans.

There are 6 billion people on the planet and only 1.3 of them are Chinese. What do you think the most popular list of games are for the majority 2/3's of the remaining population is?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
Bert37 wrote:
I means, in the last century probably boardgames has been played more than all previous centuries together.

I highly doubt that. While you're correct to insinuate that the Industrial Revolution led to many populaces finding more time on their hands (the "Leisure Revolution"), you're not considering what options people had with the free time they did have. Modern society is absolutely inundated with distractions. Television shows, movies, internet (raise your hand if you spend more time on BGG than you do playing board games, never mind Facebook, Twitter, email, reddit, etc.), books (literacy rates have gone up considerably in the last centuries), video games, sports; the list goes on and on. Just as the Industrial Revolution led to more free time, more options to spend that free time were created in response.

Use your imagination and it's not hard to imagine a yesterday in a small town in China or Persia or Italy with two neighbors playing a game of Go or Backgammon or Chess every single evening before retiring for the night. What else did they have to look forward to?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bert37 wrote:
You're right, but I guess only a few % of this "older" population were able to play boardgames... cause the majority of the population doesn't have access nor knowledge to games. They're working (or dying at very short age).

I means, in the last century probably boardgames has been played more than all previous centuries together.

I wouldn't be so sure - there's evidence of things that we'd call board-and-table games being widely played by people of all social statuses in countless societies throughout history and across the world. In fact you only need to go back a relatively short time to see that in most urbanised, industrialised countries nowadays, it was extremely common for games to be available for play in pubs/bars etc, whereas today that's very rare.
I mean I've even played traditional games abroad where the board is simply lines drawn in the ground and the playing pieces are stones.

In other words - people have been playing 'board' games for probably as long as people have existed. The relatively recent dip (and ressurgence...) of boardgaming during living memory simply shows that it was more prevalent in the past. Of course, in the pre-videogame era, they simply called these things..."games".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Glen Ridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
sturner wrote:

Just because 300 million Americans haven't heard of something doesn't mean that it isn't popular among 1.3 billion Chinese. If only 1/4 of the Chinese play it, that is still more than the total number of Americans.

There are 6 billion people on the planet and only 1.3 of them are Chinese. What do you think the most popular list of games are for the majority 2/3's of the remaining population is?

Seven billion, actually. But do you think the remaining population are all playing the exact same game? It's significant what the plurality are playing because every culture has different games they promote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Segura
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breothain wrote:
Bert37 wrote:
You're right, but I guess only a few % of this "older" population were able to play boardgames... cause the majority of the population doesn't have access nor knowledge to games. They're working (or dying at very short age).

I wouldn't be so sure - there's evidence of things that we'd call board-and-table games being widely played by people of all social statuses in countless societies throughout history and across the world. In fact you only need to go back a relatively short time to see that in most urbanised, industrialised countries nowadays, it was extremely common for games to be available for play in pubs/bars etc, whereas today that's very rare.
I mean I've even played traditional games abroad where the board is simply lines drawn in the ground and the playing pieces are stones.

In other words - people have been playing 'board' games for probably as long as people have existed. The relatively recent dip (and ressurgence...) of boardgaming during living memory simply shows that it was more prevalent in the past. Of course, in the pre-videogame era, they simply called these things..."games".

It's true that in some "more evolved" civilizations as ancient Egypcians, Greek and Romans, games were quite popular among the population. But I guess this population wasn't as significative than the rest of the population worldwide (slaves, civilizations not so advanced...)

Also those civilizations falls and there are centuries where I seriously have doubts that anyone could "play" in any way.

If I think about the amount of time that people could expend playing to *any* game (boardgame or not), my guess is now (last 100 years or so) theres much more people playing than all previously people together.

Also people now lives until 70, 80, 90 years old, and a century ago the majority of people doesn't reach 40 or 50 (I guess again). And you know the fave distraction for retirees... card games! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
If I asked all of my friends and family what Go is, maybe one person would be able to answer correctly.

Perhaps they don't shop at Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1592138...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duy Lam
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mlcarter815 wrote:

But China isn't the entire world. If I asked all of my friends and family what Go is, maybe one person would be able to answer correctly.

Yeah, what's up with that? I asked people what the most popular sport in the world is and some people suggested soccer. Impossible! No one in the US cares about soccer. How could it possibly be world's most popular sport?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theblackhole25 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

But China isn't the entire world. If I asked all of my friends and family what Go is, maybe one person would be able to answer correctly.

Yeah, what's up with that? I asked people what the most popular sport in the world is and some people suggested soccer. Impossible! No one in the US cares about soccer. How could it possibly be world's most popular sport?

At least everyone in America has heard of soccer.

Siouxfire wrote:

That isn't a listing for a product sold in stores. If you look carefully, it is sold by a 3rd party retailer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bert37 wrote:
in some "more evolved" civilizations

What.

Bert37 wrote:
Also those civilizations falls and there are centuries where I seriously have doubts that anyone could "play" in any way.

If I think about the amount of time that people could expend playing to *any* game (boardgame or not), my guess is now (last 100 years or so) theres much more people playing than all previously people together.

Seriously? You actually think when times were full of strife, that people went for centuries without devising any form of their own leisure activities and games? In my post above I gave you an example of a game that people play by drawing lines in the dirt. That kind of thing does not require a superabundance of wealth.

But come on, remember now: the period you're talking about is the period before electric lights. When night fell, it didn't matter how much more ploughing the fields/hunting for game/being an oppressed and short-lived slave you had to do: work was physically impossible because it was dark. This was especially important in northern countries, where in winter most of the waking day could be spent in darkness. So you can't work. You can't slave away. You have only one choice: come up with some form of leisure, whether it's game-playing, story-telling, singing, or whatever...or sit in silence and wait for the next day of work to start. You may well think they opted for the latter, but as someone who studied social history at university, I assure you that they did not simply spend their free time (yes, *free* time) in silence until the last 100 years.

Bert37 wrote:
Also people now lives until 70, 80, 90 years old, and a century ago the majority of people doesn't reach 40 or 50 (I guess again). And you know the fave distraction for retirees... card games! laugh

By your own criteria, nobody under retirment age in our own countries should be playing 7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy, Dominion, etc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
BennyD wrote:
So, I was at a pub trivia event last night, and this was one of the questions:

After Chess and Checkers, what is the most popular board game in the world?

Of course, there are multiple ways this could be interpreted: most people who play it, most units sold, highest ranking on BGG, etc.

I assumed that the question was asking about the most people who play the game, and convinced my team to guess Go. The correct answer, according to the answer guy, was Monopoly. I did a quick Google search on my phone (after the fact, I wasn't cheating), and the only information I could find was a couple of "Top 20 board games of all time" lists on random websites, which supported his answer. Of course, this may have been where he got the question in the first place, begging the question.

Does anyone have any idea of the actual answer to this question?

From the trivia aspect you needed to give context by some other questions, were the answers really obscure, or were they reasonable?

Example "What language is the spanish national athem sung in?" vs "which country uses the most coal in the world?"

Therefore the answer most likely would have been "Monopoly".

As for your other question, you need to define popular, do you mean number of players skilled in it, people who play it daily, people who have access to it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamille
Germany
Berlin
F/hain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Tic-Tac-Toe? I believe its popular all around the globe.

To the Chess and Checkers i would add Backgammon, Go, Mayong. Also Pachisi and maybe Poker could be in Top 5.

To make a decision over the most known Boardgames of the World you need to look at every Culture on the Planet. Every Culture has own traditional Games and some of them are older than thousands of years and known all over the Planet.
greets Hessi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
theblackhole25 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

Know what the most popular form of auto racing in the world is? I'll give you a hint - it ain't NASCAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
From the trivia aspect you needed to give context by some other questions, were the answers really obscure, or were they reasonable?

Example "What language is the spanish national athem sung in?" vs "which country uses the most coal in the world?"

As for your other question, you need to define popular, do you mean number of players skilled in it, people who play it daily, people who have access to it?

I wasn't the host, so I don't need to give context or define anything.

My question, as I stated in the post you quoted, was about the most people who play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
BennyD wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

My question, as I stated in the post you quoted, was about the most people who play the game.

In that case instead of crying at me, you should have challenged the judge regarding Chess and Checkers.

And the context is relevant as the examples I gave. If the question was meant to be tricky, Go would be a reasonable answer, if the question was meant to be "general knowledge" it was Monopoly.

The judge was right, you were wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

Board games aren't national events like sports are either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A boy named Sioux
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

I think the point you're missing is that not a single person in America needs to have even heard of Go for it to be the world's most popular board game. Still, a lot of people in America do know about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Hron
United States
Huntingdon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breothain wrote:

I concur - China isn't the entire world.

America is.

A-MAIR-I-KAHH, FUCK YEAH!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
BennyD wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

In that case instead of crying at me, you should have challenged the judge regarding Chess and Checkers.

And the context is relevant as the examples I gave. If the question was meant to be tricky, Go would be a reasonable answer, if the question was meant to be "general knowledge" it was Monopoly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:

I'm not sure if you're having reading comprehension issues or trying to take the piss out of me, so I'll assume the former and simplify the OP for you:

BennyD wrote:
[Insert timely anecdote regarding the popularity of board games here.]

So, dear forum readers, do any of you happen to know what board game is the most played in the world?

Does that make more sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Mah Jong is played more than Go though, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
BennyD wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

I'm not sure if you're having reading comprehension issues or trying to take the piss out of me, so I'll assume the former and simplify the OP for you:

BennyD wrote:

So, dear forum readers, do any of you happen to know what board game is the most played in the world?

Clearly you are the one with reading comprehension issues.
In the post I quote, your very own post, there are 2 questions.
This can be determined by seeing the funny symbol called the "question mark".

Your first question is
"After Chess and Checkers, what is the most popular board game in the world?"

See, theres that "question mark".

The second question is
"Does anyone have any idea of the actual answer to this question? "

Again, "question mark".

In between you add a lot of your "context", "bias" and "clarification".

However, the answer to the second question is "Monopoly" as you state that is the answer given by the judge.

Even if we ignore that answer, you still have 2 questions, and magically in your post you somehow change the question to "most people play" which is not the question in your original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cisne
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
j_holmes wrote:

BennyD wrote:

Maybe he just goes to quizzes that operate on a level unfathomable to us mere mortals.

Holmesian Quiz Tips wrote:
A quiz may ask you, "What is the capital city of France?"

If the question is meant to be tricky, "Paris" would be a reasonable answer. If the question was meant to be 'general knowledge', then the expected answer would be "bacon".

I am always right, you are always wrong. Do not cry at me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Draper
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
j_holmes wrote:
Clearly you are the one with reading comprehension issues.

Quote:
In the post I quote, your very own post, there are 2 questions.
This can be determined by seeing the funny symbol called the "question mark".

Your first question is
"After Chess and Checkers, what is the most popular board game in the world?"

See, theres that "question mark".

This was the question on the quiz, not a question I was asking anyone here to answer. You, as opposed to everyone else who posted here, found this difficult to understand.

Quote:
The second question is
"Does anyone have any idea of the actual answer to this question? "

Again, "question mark".

Yay, my one question! You found it!

Quote:
However, the answer to the second question is "Monopoly" as you state that is the answer given by the judge.

The judge never answered my "second" question, as it was never asked of him. It was asked, by me, of the people on this forum.

Quote:
Even if we ignore that answer, you still have 2 questions, and magically in your post you somehow change the question to "most people play" which is not the question in your original post.

There's no magic to it, I did that on purpose. How do you like 'dem apples?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Uncle Pennybags
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:
I had never heard of Go until recently, so I would find it hard to believe that it would be more popular than Monopoly, otherwise I would have heard of it.

You are excluding all of Asia, then? Go has been played by millions for eons!!! shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jene Weir
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BennyD wrote:
So, I was at a pub trivia event last night, and this was one of the questions:

After Chess and Checkers, what is the most popular board game in the world?

Does anyone have any idea of the actual answer to this question?

Considering the context and wording of the actual (pub) question, truth in any form beyond popular (mis)conception was never the goal. The question now being asked, tied as it is to the ambiguities of the original question, really needs to be much more focused so that an appropriate and agreeable consensus can arise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.