Hide
9 Posts

Dominion» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion advice for a specific situation. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xander Moraine
msg tools
I recently reorganized my collection of Dominion after over a year in storage after it came into a state of massive disarray. All told,took me a few hours to take inventory of everything, but I only ended up missing two cards!

After playing with friends, it reignited my enjoyment of the game, and that got me thinking, I had missed the two most recent expansions, and also Alchemy which I hadn't even heard of until I visited the BGG page today!

Which brings me to my question: out of Alchemy, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages, which would you recommend and why? I'd prefer more interesting card interactions, but flavor means something to me too.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is largely just a matter of personal opinion and preference. I don't have Alchemy so I can't comment on it. The major issue that I have with that set is the Potion mechanic. It only works with cards from that set, whereas all of the other sets have mechanics that work with whatever cards happen to in the supply.

When comparing Hinterlands to Dark Ages you are looking at cards that have very fun and sometimes complicated reactions, they just happen at different times. Hinterland cards tend to trigger when you "Gain" a card whereas Dark Ages trigger when you "Trash" a card.

My wife doesn't like to trash cards (even Coppers) so she isn't a fan of Dark Ages. However, Dark Ages does offer some very unique elements that I like:

Spoils - These are cards that act as a "one shot" Gold. You can choose to play it in your buy phase, but if you do you put it back into the supply. It doesn't go into your discard pile to be recycled.

Band of Misfits - This is like a wild card. You can make it be whatever card you want it to be from the Supply Pile. How many times did the wrong mix of cards come into your hand? With Band of Misfits you can choose which card would make the best of that situation.

Death Cart - This give you a tasty +5 for your buy providing you trash an action card. This makes picking up low cost actions or no cost ruins worthwhile when you are playing the Death Cart
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
severly wrote:
This is largely just a matter of personal opinion and preference. I don't have Alchemy so I can't comment on it. The major issue that I have with that set is the Potion mechanic. It only works with cards from that set, whereas all of the other sets have mechanics that work with whatever cards happen to in the supply.

I would not think of the Potion like that - it will prevent you from enjoying some real gems. The Potion is always available whenever a card requires it to be, and there is definitely no reason that the mechanics don't overlap and interact with other cards.

You can build some really great decks around a couple of potion-costing cards, and some of the cards in Alchemy don't require a potion at all (though they can interact with one if it is present).

I get that a second, isolated resource, turns off a lot of people, but it really does add to the strategy (though can also be swingy if you keep missing pairing your potion with good money).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everly

Tuxedo Park
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:

I would not think of the Potion like that - it will prevent you from enjoying some real gems. The Potion is always available whenever a card requires it to be, and there is definitely no reason that the mechanics don't overlap and interact with other cards.

I agree that there are some interesting cards in Alchemy. My point was mostly that there is a card that has a very limited amount of cards it would impact, that is all.

I like that the cards in all of the sets can affect all of the cards in other sets. King's Court or Throne Room work on all other cards in all other sets. Death Card gives you +5 if you trash any action card, not just a Ruin (although those do work the best)

However, the mere possibility of being able to pull of a Possession/Ambassador combo on my wife and have her put back 2 Provinces while I gain one is enough to make me get the set. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
XanderMoraine wrote:
I recently reorganized my collection of Dominion after over a year in storage after it came into a state of massive disarray. All told,took me a few hours to take inventory of everything, but I only ended up missing two cards!

After playing with friends, it reignited my enjoyment of the game, and that got me thinking, I had missed the two most recent expansions, and also Alchemy which I hadn't even heard of until I visited the BGG page today!

Which brings me to my question: out of Alchemy, Hinterlands, and Dark Ages, which would you recommend and why? I'd prefer more interesting card interactions, but flavor means something to me too.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I have all the expansions, but if in your position only wanting one ... I think I'd go for dark ages. It has so many features that add to the excitement. Having said that, any of them would fine and dispute what some have said about alchemy, I think it's good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderMoraine wrote:
I'd prefer more interesting card interactions, but flavor means something to me too.

You have just described Dark Ages. Get that next.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hinterlands or dark ages are cant miss. Alchemy is a rather weak expansion. I don't enjoy the potion mechanic. Some of the cards, such as golem can lead to very drawn out turns that cause the game to drag on.

I really liked what I saw of dark ages, but I haven't explored it enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Moraine
msg tools
Thanks all for your advice, I'm very likely going to get Dark ages thanks to your advisement. I'll keep the other two in mind for next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.