James Chan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we choose NOT to advance to Expertise track if the space will result a CEP add to an opponent's control region because 'all of my control region is full'?

is it mandatory? both at the end of a turn/end of summit/ end of conctruction the plant / wild bonus advancement among the reward in Expertise tracks ,will lead to rising the Expertise tracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it is mandatory. I can't recall what it says in the rules but it makes sense if you think about it this way. Your scientist is the one moving your marker up the expertise track. It's representative of his ability to become more knowledgeable in that field. Can he "unlearn" something? Not without massive amounts of alcohol.

Plus it seems counter productive to not move up the thing even if you have to help out another player. You receive benefits in the way of cash/VP on the track. Why wouldn't you want to move up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Chan
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
when u are not leading in track and u sure that u at last in track any way, but the bonus is add a CEP, to ...not your full limit CEP control regioon, but other's control regoin with 8 dollar market price...u never want the track advance any more~
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Makis
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But again it comes down to the fact that each move up the expertise track is either getting you to something good or moving you in that direction. And the end of the game finds a lot of expertise track changing especially as more scientists go to more and more summits (assuming players are going after scientists.

I'll do a little searching but it just makes sense that a scientist can't unlearn a skill. The expertise track is representative of that scientist knowledge as though he went to a summit and learned something new. If it momentarily benefits someone else, than so be it.

That's the interesting thing about CO2. The whole board is working together to make sure the world doesn't end, but just how much are they working together. The last time we played I refused to build a plant because it wasn't going to benefit me a lot. I caused the CO2 track to go above the disaster threshold and ultimately made everyone deal with the problem. This is why I like the game. You can work together or not but in the end there's only one winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Hoon
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state on page 6:
Quote:

You gain Expertise in an energy source when:
•one of your scientists is working on a project. At the end of your turn, you choose 1 project overseen by one of your scientists, and score 1 Expertise in the same energy source as the project.
•you build a new green power plant. For example, if you build a new Solar power plant, your Expertise in Solar immediately increases 1 step.
•a Summit is completed. At the end of the turn in which that happens, each of your scientist participating in the summit earns your Company 1 Expertise in the energy source matching the ‘topic’ the scientist is on, and each Company participating in the summit earns 1 extra Expertise in any one of the topics of that summit. (see 2.2.1.2 World Summits).
• and when you choose to take a scientist back into your hand because another player installs or constructs a project on which one of your scientists is working (see 2.2.1 Scientists).

IMHO the above does not imply in any way that the expertise track movement is optional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Subhan Michael Tindall
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What it doesn't address is whether or not the benefit IE adding a CEP to the board is optional.

We had this situation come up recently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vital Lacerda
Portugal
Oeiras
Portugal
flag msg tools
designer
2010 - Vinhos, 2012 - CO2, 2014 - kanban. Hopefuly: 2015 - The Gallerist, 201? - Lisboa, 201? - Escape plan
mbmbmbmbmb
James Warren wrote:
Can we choose NOT to advance to Expertise track if the space will result a CEP add to an opponent's control region because 'all of my control region is full'?

is it mandatory? both at the end of a turn/end of summit/ end of conctruction the plant / wild bonus advancement among the reward in Expertise tracks ,will lead to rising the Expertise tracks.

It is mandatory. You must place the cep in a region, even if this will reward another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What if the CEP limit is reached in all regions? Do we simply discard the CEP?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Some Guy
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
newrev wrote:
James Warren wrote:

It is mandatory. You must place the cep in a region, even if this will reward another player.

This may be true, but I hate this rule. Its simply wrong that my hard work should benefit another player. I think there should be an option to place the CEP or, if not controlling a region, take one into your hand or something. I like the fact that one of the paths to winning in this game is to let others fight over regions while you do other things. I have won a couple of times without controlling a region. This rule punishes you unnecessarily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.