United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
For at least a year or two, T&T's buylist for board games was empty.

Now it's back.

http://trollandtoad.com/buying3.php?Department=1

I've sold minis several times to T&T and they are a pleasure to work with. You do have to pay shipping to them, but if you have a lot of games to get rid of, this is a convenient way to liquidate.

You could also take games to them at Gencon, I suppose.

Only other site that buys board games used is NobleKNight, but you have to email them with what you have to get a quote.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
Wow! Their offers are terrible! So they will give me 10 dollars for Vikings when it's out of print and going for around 60-80. Granted, I couldn't sell it quickly at 60, but if I put my game at 40 I would have it gone by the end of the day, easily.

Shit, you want to sell your OOP games? I'll give you one dollar more and I'll pay for shipping!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
They're buying to resell, so yes their values will be low.

But they are paying $25 for a copy of Big Boggle, as much as $20 for Monopoly, and even $3+ for a copy of the Ungame. Some of those are very close to what you will get on ebay, without fees, taking photos, etc.

Useful for thrifting or ditching old lots.

But don't send them Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit.

Since I keep seeing it at thrift stores for $2-3: Scene It? Twilight Edition - buying for $9
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People in this thread who have any idea what T&T's overhead and operating costs are: 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
overtheboard wrote:
but if you have a lot of games to get rid of, this is a convenient way to liquidate.

I'd rather use Ebay for selling valuable games and thrift or toss everything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
alfredhw wrote:
People in this thread who have any idea what T&T's overhead and operating costs are: 0

People who misinterpret what people are saying and make snap judgments based on nothing: 1

Listen, I'm not saying its unfair from a business perspective; I'm saying it is silly to sell them your games when you can easily turn a profit in a short time using the marketplace or various local selling websites.

But please, tell me all about business and how it works because you're obviously so much more savvy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
S**t, you want to sell your OOP games? I'll give you one dollar more and I'll pay for shipping!

Wow, ok. I have Mindtrap, Big Boggle, and Compatibility.

That will be $43.70 + S/H to Canada from the US. Deal?

It's not useful to everyone in every situation. But it is in some cases. A year ago when I bought a collection of 300 games for $2,500 this could have saved me some time, headaches.. and in some cases I would have made more than I did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine those prices are fixed. I'm thinking some of those are for shrinkwrapped items only and the price decreases from there. Perhaps to the point where they won't buy certain games if it isn't still brand new.

Also, what does the 1 under the Max column stand for? You can only sell 1 copy to them at a time or they are only wanting to buy 1 copy at this time?

And yes, those prices are ridiculous low. Easier to sell or trade your OOP titles and the crappy ones which won't sell have such little value that after you factor in shipping costs and what they would pay, you're losing money - easier to donate crappy stuff to a school, church or goodwill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Maltry
United States
Freeport
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow at the crazy monopoly prices... Definitely nice if you can thrift something and trade it in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
T&T and Noble Knight thrive in buying games at 50% of their value, then resell. Not everyone has time or interest in going through all the effort for an extra few $ on selling their wares, so these shops will give you cash with little hassle.

I have dumped many boxes of games that just weren't worth my time listing, shipping, tracking, accounting, etc. at Noble Knight. I never took offense at the 50% of value, because I understand what that lost money means in my saved time and effort. Well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I doubt if those are accurate prices for Monopopoo titles... most likely they just haven't been updated to real market values.

Riddlebox85 wrote:
Wow at the crazy monopoly prices... Definitely nice if you can thrift something and trade it in

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You choose whatever market is good for you. My average time spent in selling one title via eBay is around 50 minutes or so. On BGG, a little less due to the minimal pictures. Because of my time $, I always lose $ when spending more than 10 minutes on selling anything, therefore for me, selling any title via these markets is usually a loss or at best break even. Now for $300 - $500 titles (rarities), I will always go to eBay for the best return.

broken clock wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

People who misinterpret what people are saying and make snap judgments based on nothing: 1

Listen, I'm not saying its unfair from a business perspective; I'm saying it is silly to sell them your games when you can easily turn a profit in a short time using the marketplace or various local selling websites.

But please, tell me all about business and how it works because you're obviously so much more savvy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bradley
United States
Belleville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Wow! Their offers are terrible! So they will give me 10 dollars for Vikings when it's out of print and going for around 60-80. Granted, I couldn't sell it quickly at 60, but if I put my game at 40 I would have it gone by the end of the day, easily.

Shit, you want to sell your OOP games? I'll give you one dollar more and I'll pay for shipping!

darthhugo wrote:
T&T and Noble Knight thrive in buying games at 50% of their value, then resell. Not everyone has time or interest in going through all the effort for an extra few $ on selling their wares, so these shops will give you cash with little hassle.

I have dumped many boxes of games that just weren't worth my time listing, shipping, tracking, accounting, etc. at Noble Knight. I never took offense at the 50% of value, because I understand what that lost money means in my saved time and effort. Well worth it.

It seems to me if you have more time than money, Mike is right, However if you have more money than time, Rich is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthhugo wrote:
T&T and Noble Knight thrive in buying games at 50% of their value, then resell.

50%?

Star Wars Queen's Gambit:
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $72
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $289.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $155 - 295

Acquire (1995 Avalon Hill):
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $57.00
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $229.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $86 - 200

Axis & Allies board game (Anniversary Edition):
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $130.00
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $519.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $177 - $400

Well, if 50% of what they charge was their standard practice, I'd agree with you. Maybe you meant "offer 50% of what it is worth, charge 200% of what it is worth".

But 25% is the average of what they offer to what they charge, and in fact they're only close to 50% of the *low end* auction levels for what are usually lesser condition copies that what they will pay that value for.

Now 25% (or even less) is not at all unusual for resellers for other used goods - like books, DVDs, BluRays, etc. And validation of item quality for a game is a far more work intensive task, so consideration must be given there (although I've read a few horror stories about Troll & Toad selling improperly described and incomplete items). But the bottom line is the general percentage offer by any reseller is typically weighed against the demand for the item - a quick turn around seller merits a higher percentage offer. In that context, 25% for high demand items like the above is frankly ridiculous, and its more a formula for assuring the store doesn't acquire the item for its stock from any remotely informed seller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
darthhugo wrote:
You choose whatever market is good for you. My average time spent in selling one title via eBay is around 50 minutes or so. On BGG, a little less due to the minimal pictures. Because of my time $, I always lose $ when spending more than 10 minutes on selling anything, therefore for me, selling any title via these markets is usually a loss or at best break even. Now for $300 - $500 titles (rarities), I will always go to eBay for the best return.

broken clock wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

But the amount of time spent packaging the game and sending it out is worth something, isn't it? Wouldn't it be better to post the game you're selling online for a bit more than what Troll offers and ask for local pickup? If you were to list the games they are buying for a few dollars more on ANY selling website, you would have a ton of offers in a single day and they would happily come to your door and save you the time and money of shipping it yourself.

If you listed Vikings on Craigslist, or whatever, for 15 bucks, I would show up to your door in a second and I would probably walk your dog and shovel your driveway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience selling a few hundred games... maybe around 400 to date, Noble Knight has consistently returned a price that was nearly 50% of the going retail price of what I could get if I wanted to sell it at that moment. Sometimes they are a few dollars over, sometimes a few dollars under. We both have the same market data, but they also have data of demand from potential buyers... thus that is why sometimes they will pay more than I was expecting.

So, one can always point out outliers and think they have the answer, but I'll go on my historical data and let you decide.

In the end, sell where you want.

Not every Magnum fits all sizes.

KGBRadioMoskow wrote:
darthhugo wrote:
T&T and Noble Knight thrive in buying games at 50% of their value, then resell.

50%?

Star Wars Queen's Gambit:
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $72
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $289.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $155 - 295

Acquire (1995 Avalon Hill):
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $57.00
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $229.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $86 - 200

Axis & Allies board game (Anniversary Edition):
Troll and Toad offer price (near mint): $130.00
Troll and Toad sell price (near mint, last time in stock): $519.99
eBay completed listing (sold only, complete only, condition varying) range: $177 - $400

Well, if 50% of what they charge was their standard practice, I'd agree with you. Maybe you meant "offer 50% of what it is worth, charge 200% of what it is worth".

But 25% is the average of what they offer to what they charge, and in fact they're only close to 50% of the *low end* auction levels for what are usually lesser condition copies that what they will pay that value for.

Now 25% (or even less) is not at all unusual for resellers for other used goods - like books, DVDs, BluRays, etc. And validation of item quality for a game is a far more work intensive task, so consideration must be given there (although I've read a few horror stories about Troll & Toad selling improperly described and incomplete items). But the bottom line is the general percentage offer by any reseller is typically weighed against the demand for the item - a quick turn around seller merits a higher percentage offer. In that context, 25% for high demand items like the above is frankly ridiculous, and its more a formula for assuring the store doesn't acquire the item for its stock from any remotely informed seller.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing personal, but I don't really enjoy randoms coming to my door. Any local pickup transaction for me always occurs at a public location. I have tried it... a real pain in the ass, as not everyone is punctual.

Time is money.

broken clock wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

broken clock wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

But the amount of time spent packaging the game and sending it out is worth something, isn't it? Wouldn't it be better to post the game you're selling online for a bit more than what Troll offers and ask for local pickup? If you were to list the games they are buying for a few dollars more on ANY selling website, you would have a ton of offers in a single day and they would happily come to your door and save you the time and money of shipping it yourself.

If you listed Vikings on Craigslist, or whatever, for 15 bucks, I would show up to your door in a second and I would probably walk your dog and shovel your driveway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
darthhugo wrote:
In my experience selling a few hundred games... maybe around 400 to date...

No one else participating in this thread is averaging 50 sells a year. If I were being deluged with games and just wanted to get rid of them before the next wave hit I might consider T&T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Keiser

Waunakee
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't know what peoples averages are. Never assumed anything like that. Not sure how you know that information, unless they have posted it in their replies.

FWIW, I have been selling games since 1988, so I have a few years on most people and thus the numbers. I probably average 30 a year now, but that is because so many are being printed as compared to the 80s and 90s.

red black wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

No one else participating in this thread is averaging 50 sells a year. If I were being deluged with games and just wanted to get rid of them before the next wave hit I might consider T&T.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
If you're making enough money a year to not give a damn about selling games for four to eight times less than what they are worth, then perhaps you should donate them to charity. You'll spend less time packaging them and more time feeling good that you've done something nice.

I just can't understand someone thinking they are saving time by packaging up a board game and then dropping it off at the local post office. Maybe if you lived above a post office and your games packaged themselves, that would be awesome.

If you're selling games for four to eight times less than what they are worth then you're better off selling local. You add more money to your wallet and actually consume less of your time. You can damn well bet that if you s old an OOP game for even double what Troll is offering the buyer would show up at whatever god awful time and location you could dream up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't have that information but I know it takes more time and more effort to sell a lot of games than a few. And I know that I personally wouldn't be motivated to sell cheaply (and go through the hassle of shipping) to T&T for any other reason than 'I have more games than I know what to do with'.

darthhugo wrote:
Don't know what peoples averages are. Never assumed anything like that. Not sure how you know that information, unless they have posted it in their replies.

FWIW, I have been selling games since 1988, so I have a few years on most people and thus the numbers. I probably average 30 a year now, but that is because so many are being printed as compared to the 80s and 90s.

red black wrote:
darthhugo wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Barrett
United States
Warren
Ohio
flag msg tools
mb
alfredhw wrote:

People in this thread that will NEVER do business with T&T due to their shady business practices in regards to past Origins auctions : 1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy"
United States
Mount Holly (Gastonia / Charlotte)
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ErnieB wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

People in this thread that will NEVER do business with T&T due to their shady business practices in regards to past Origins auctions : 1

Well! I'd like to hear some more about that. I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
ErnieB wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

Well! I'd like to hear some more about that. I think.

If it is what I think it is, something along the lines of purported T&T attendees bidding up games being sold by T&T to increase profits.

Note: That is pure conjecture and complete hearsay on my part. I read multiple posts about said shenanigans and from what I understand they were never proven in any way. My only connection to T&T has been purchasing games from them, and they have been nothing but excellent to me in the past.

EDIT - found the old thread and after perusing old thread I completely misremembered said old shenanigans.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/410397/caveat-troll-and-toad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Mittelstedt
United States
Hampstead
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Who pays for shipping the item to T&T? I looked in their guide and details on that didn't pop out right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.