Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently bought a copy of the base game and was wondering if it is worthwhile trying to buy a second copy, assuming that I can get hold of one ,in order to have enough blocks to play larger scale games in the future. Has anybody done this or are there any other reasons for buying a second copy? Obviously if there is no good reason to do so then I can save myself £50 or so but I am willing to spend the money if it future proofs the game against a time when the base set becomes totally unavailable as seems to be the case wih some of the C&C:A expansions.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Currently there's no reason to buy an additional base set, since an epic version of the game would be at least another year away.

The C&C:Ancients base set keeps getting reprinted and I'm suspecting that the C&C:Nappy base set will be the same. Sure, some of the expansions might be slower to reprint but the base set is a requirement to play the game so it will always become available again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Hansen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
2/68th Armor: Silver Lions!
mbmbmbmbmb
If they go with the model that was used for Commands & Colors: Ancients for Epic, it will only require one base set.

From the page on Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II:

Quote:
Important: In order to play the scenarios in the Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #5 – Epic Ancients II expansion, you will need a copy of the basic Commands & Colors: Ancients game and the other expansions, especially Expansion #1 Greece and the Eastern Kingdoms. The other expansions will be very useful: Expansion #2 Rome vs The Barbarians, and Expansion #3 The Roman Civil Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a second set to play Epic or to play tournaments. The Epic rules that I got from Richard Borg uses a long narrow board as does ancients. We played a game combining both Salamanca wing scenarios.

The one thing that's different about Napoleonics than Ancients is that Ancients includes more than one Roman army which can be combined, and you have Barbarian/Carthage/Eastern blocks that can be combined to form a combined Epic game. With Napoleonics, there's no other armies to fill the gaps; so I'd use two Napoleonics sets. I'll probably buy 2 sets of Russians as well. I can't see having multiple Spanish, Prussian or Austrian sets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a second set for home-grown Epic games, too. Even a second set of Spanish! I've been using using a set I put together myself that's derived from the Ancients game.

Kent, that's cool that you have a set of Epic rules from Richard himself for covering Napoleonics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I expect the "Grand Battle" game will be different from the Ancients Epic format. Napoleonic warfare emphasized the deep battlefield with reserves and flank manoeuvres. The game could require possibly 4 boards. I hope so, anyway.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Pain
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strange as it may seem there are some people who apparently don't like this game (there is no accounting for taste!) I've picked up a second hand copy for a friend at a "Bring and Buy" at a wargame event and since then I've seen a couple more appear at similiar events priced at between £20-£25 here in the UK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I legally own hundreds of polyhedral assault dice!
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say yesterday, but I agree with Andy. The OP could probably find a second-hand set for less or maybe even acquire one in trade, if cost is a deciding issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
The Epic rules that I got from Richard Borg uses a long narrow board as does ancients. We played a game combining both Salamanca wing scenarios.

Can you share these rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have looked at pictures of players putting two Napoleonics boards together for makeshift "Epic" battles and must admit that it looks weird to have such a long, shallow battlefield. As agrippa said, atht eitme, battles were played out with more depth, reserves, different "layers" of troops manouvering, advancing, flanking etc rather than two lines of men clashing with each other along a long, bloody line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dippel
Germany
Rheinhausen
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I am from Bavaria
badge
King Ludwig II of Bavaria
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
battles were played out with more depth, reserves, different "layers" of troops manouvering

For more depth boards, CCNapo (also Battlecry and CCA) rules are not optimal, because most INF moves only 1 hex (except with a few cards).

In Memoir 44 e.g., all INF can move always 2 hex, so the depth breakthrough boards works good there.

But maybe we get some additional terrain like roads in future, on which all units can move more hexes, then it could works better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
True. Roads would certainly add to some strategy, taking and holding the parts of the board where movement is faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the Epic Deck will take care of Operational movement on deeper boards and approaches on the flank roads. Got to give those Light Cav brigades something to do screening flanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.