Subject: Card Memory question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
From the rules:

If a Unique card gets a permanent change while in play-like if a Dude gets Wanted or Harrowed, the change applies to all
cards o' that name, for all players, for the rest o' the game, unless somethin' specifically changes it. For draws and pulls,
ignore any changes to a card's value or suit. Changes to your Non-Unique cards are permanent for you but not for
anybody else. Temporary changes are not kept through card memory.

Makes sense and is clear enough - permanent changes stay with a specific card so if a card leaves play that has been changed in some way any new copies that enter play will retain that change. Except for the non-unique stipulation up there.

Ran into something the other day that made me scratch my head and am not sure if we handled it correctly:

Miss Lilly got taken over by divided loyalties during lowball so I lost control of her. During my turn I made her wanted, then bounced her back to my hand with Low Profile. When I played her again should she still have been under control of the Divided Loyalties?

At the time I thought no because it is not a permanent change, but now I am curious because the wording is :

Play when another player reveals an illegal Draw hand. Target a Dude controlled by that player whose Value is less than the illegal Draw hand's rank plus 4. You take control of the Dude until after Nightfall. Only one Cheatin'! Card can be played against a player per draw.

The bolded part is what makes me wonder if I did it wrong, should she have gone to the other players control as soon as she hit the table again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mb
In my opinion, no. One of the things that is not retained when a Dude leaves play is who controlled it.

Suppose you have Miss Lily in play. You send her back to your own hand. Then, I play Miss Lily... you don't control this new one. I do. Because I played it.

The act of bringing a card into play is what re-determines who controls it - it's part of the "unless somethin' specifically changes it" clause of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Ah thanks for the clarification.

Miss Lilly sure had a bad day - lets see:

In a moment of weakness the prim parishioner decides to taste the wild life and hung out with the Whateleys for a day. Elijah is none to happy with this development and coerces a confession out of her. Ashamed and fearful of the price on her head she quietly sneaks out of town only to return later and finds herself confronted by Solomon who manages to shame her into another confession. Apparently the Children of Armageddon has had enough at that point - before sunset she was sacrificed for the greater good.

Actually a pretty fun hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosine is right, of course, but it isn't just that putting a Dude into play asserts control, it is also that only permanent changes remain, due to card memory. It is actually in the text you quoted from the rulebook in the first thread. So, there are two reasons why you'd control Lily and Divided Loyalties would no longer apply.

Temporary changes are not kept through card memory.

Until the end of the Nightfall, for the rest of the shootout, for this round of the shootout, until next High Noon, and anything else that causes an effect to end at some point by itself is temporary.

Because card memory doesn't transfer the Divided Loyalties effect, it does not apply to the "newly played" Miss Lily. You had it right all along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, and there is sometimes a really cool thing you can do with Goods and Dudes if you can get them to discard and re-play them (easier if you find a "return to Play Hand" effect). Card memory won't transfer the use, since that refreshes on its own, and you can use the actions on such cards more than once per day. This is most obvious with Bullet cards and Spare Chamber, but Bob's Fix-It Shop and Hired Guns can help the combo, too.

If you are going to build the super-ultra-uber-mega Gadget with Zarkov Ex 2 and A Few Custom Modifications, use a Unique Gadget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And while I'm at it, a discarded-then-returned Dude comes in unbooted, no matter his status before leaving play. Bootedness is never a permanent condition.

Looking over your report of Miss Lily's exploits, it looks like you used Confession to make her Wanted again when she returned to play. Actually, she was already Wanted, since she was Wanted before she left play. Wanted status does not wear off on its own, therefore it is retained via card memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Encrypted Toast
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
FlatOnHisFace wrote:
And while I'm at it, a discarded-then-returned Dude comes in unbooted, no matter his status before leaving play. Bootedness is never a permanent condition.

Looking over your report of Miss Lily's exploits, it looks like you used Confession to make her Wanted again when she returned to play. Actually, she was already Wanted, since she was Wanted before she left play. Wanted status does not wear off on its own, therefore it is retained via card memory.

Good point! Forgot all about that and I was looking at the very rule.

Could have saved the confession for something more productive like say, the other players dudes

It still made for a very entertaining play, and goes to show how much fun you can have with this game with a little imagination and some light role playing

Nebuchadnezzar on a Penny Farthing getting Bad Tequilla'd in the middle of town square was pretty funny too - "Go home Neb, you're drunk!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EncryptedToast wrote:

Nebuchadnezzar on a Penny Farthing getting Bad Tequilla'd in the middle of town square was pretty funny too - "Go home Neb, you're drunk!"

Ah yes, sorta like the classic:

Ghost + Tastes Like Chicken + Penny Farthing

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Ghost of Abraham Lincoln eats a Bicycle

And yes, the best way to develop a deck is through the school of hard knocks. Props to you for creating a deck and having the chance to tweak it and make it better. Remember, most championship decks started out as an idea that got hammered repeatedly until they were honed to perfection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.