10 Posts

Carcassonne» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ferries expansion and reopening closed roads. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
Let's suppose that you place a ferry T-tile at the end of a road, completing it and allowing a player to score for that road.

The two other road directions on that ferry T-tile are still open, and you add a road tile to one of them. Wouldn't this reopen the road that had already been completed, creating the potential to score for that road again? (and again and again?)

I couldn't find any rules preventing you from re-opening a closed road, but it seems against the intent of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Poland
Warsaw
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right. It's possible to score the same road up to 3-4 times (or even more) with the ferries (each time the road in question is a part of another road). I found a note on this issue in The complete annotated rules for Carcassonne:

''flip-flopping mechanic of the ferries can wreak havoc when using the Robber Baron, effectively allowing the road to be completed and re-opened mutiple times. Depending on your experiences, creation of a house rule may be necessary.''

Personally, I like this road flip-flopping. It makes roads much longer and drives fierce battles over them. This mini does add some chaos, but I don't think that it's against the general rules of the basic game. Generally, it's a good thing, because the roads in the basic game are least profitable features. The I&C and the Ferries (as well as the Bridges) make them more valuable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eriktheguy wrote:
I couldn't find any rules preventing you from re-opening a closed road, but it seems against the intent of the game.

Hmmm...

I tend to think this is exactly what this expansion was designed for; to create some real competition for valuable road spots. As the other poster notes it can create some serious competition for long roads.

What other intent would they have had in mind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacek Wieszaczewski
Poland
Wrocław
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always though the Robber Baron counts roads that are completed at the end of the game. Not an expert on this though, I have the expansion but don't play with it.

But a ferry indeed can reopen a closed road - this gets most interesting when the road is quite long and/or has an inn somewhere - then it is possible to score this road several times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
Okay, so sanity check complete, it can be done.

Any opponent could counter it by capping your road and cutting the ferry point off before allowing you to score. Capping the road with a ferry allows you to propagate this indefinitely.

Not sure what robber baron does. It it like a builder for roads? That might allow you to do some sick board control. In any case it seems like it's fairly easy to counter, and anyone can score from this strategy, so opening it up for yourself means also opening it up for other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Szczepanik
Poland
Warsaw
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Robber Baron comes together with the King mini expansion (also available as a part of Count, King & Consorts):

As soon as a player completes the first road, he or she should take the Robber Baron tile. If, during the course of play, another player completes a larger road — which means he or she places the final tile of this road —then he or she receives the Robber Baron. At the end of the game, the player in possession of the Robber Baron receives 1 point for every completed road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
eriktheguy wrote:
... and anyone can score from this strategy, so opening it up for yourself means also opening it up for other players.

Exactly. So it is a bit of a two-edged sword to be wielded carefully lest you give your opponent the advantage you intended to take for yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Spears
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText also intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this last summer, and (at first) also thought you could reopen a road, but this is incorrect.

From the CAR:

"If a player places his landscape tile and extends a road that includes a ferry, the player may move the ferry, but he or she is not required to do so."

"The road must include a ferry to allow movement of that ferry in this situation. Thus, if adding onto a road that ends at a lake without the ferry connection, the ferry cannot be moved."

The ferries are the wooden pieces (not the tiles). If one is inside a completed road, and you can't add to a completed road, you can't move the ferry. This means that a ferry is locked in place when its road is completed.

Of course, there are always house rules. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik C
Canada
flag msg tools
fallenpillars wrote:
I bought this last summer, and (at first) also thought you could reopen a road, but this is incorrect.

From the CAR:

"If a player places his landscape tile and extends a road that includes a ferry, the player may move the ferry, but he or she is not required to do so."

"The road must include a ferry to allow movement of that ferry in this situation. Thus, if adding onto a road that ends at a lake without the ferry connection, the ferry cannot be moved."

The ferries are the wooden pieces (not the tiles). If one is inside a completed road, and you can't add to a completed road, you can't move the ferry. This means that a ferry is locked in place when its road is completed.

Of course, there are always house rules. :-)

The way I imagined it, the road is completed by placing a ferry tile at one end, and placing the ferry so that it does not connect to the road, hence ending the road at the ferry tile. The road is then reopened by building on any of the directions from the ferry tile which the ferry connects to, and switching the ferry to connect the the previously completed road, and any open road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene Spears
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
OverText also intentionally left blank.
badge
Reach in to find out!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotcha. That makes perfect sense, and I should know better, because I've done this several times. :-) I got your question completely backwards - sorry!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.