Popular Tags: [View All]
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received from Lukas:

Lukas wrote:

Imp's ability is not a paid ability, since it does not have a clearly labeled cost associated with it. You can use the ability immediately after accessing a card.

Hope that helps,

--
Lukas Litzsinger
Game Designer
Fantasy Flight Games

This was my question:

Sportacus wrote:

Trashing cards with IMP

Assuming that IMP's ability is a paid ability, when I can pay for it, since step 4.5 of Timing structure of a run doesn't have a window for useing paid abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan M
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wait, does this imply that it is possible to trash an advanced trap before its effects occur? Or an upgrade before its effects take hold (red herrings for example) I hope I'm reading that wrong because that seems way too powerful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saprophyte wrote:
Wait, does this imply that it is possible to trash an advanced trap before its effects occur? Or an upgrade before its effects take hold (red herrings for example) I hope I'm reading that wrong because that seems way too powerful.

That is a damned good question. If they are both considered triggered abilities, then the runner's would happen first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Finkle
msg tools
saprophyte wrote:

It definitely has no effect on Red Herrings (which states that it effect takes places even in the run it's been trashed during) or anything that triggers on successfully accessing the server like ASH.
As for its effects on Ambush, well that's unknown. My guess would be that it cannot be used to supercede a "when you access this" ability, since its ability states "a card you access", meaning you must already be accessing it.

Imp's ability is incredibly poorly worded, IMO. It should likely be "Whenever you access a card, you may remove a hosted virus counter from Imp. If you do, trash that card without paying its trash cost (even if it could not normally be trashed). Play this ability no more than once per turn"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tunguska's CPA
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to access a card to be able to trash it. Ambushes take effect once accessed, so... I'd go with no, Imp cannot be used to avoid ambushes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cervantes3773 wrote:
You have to access a card to be able to trash it. Ambushes take effect once accessed, so... I'd go with no, Imp cannot be used to avoid ambushes.

Well, it depends. I would kind of agree. I think the intent is definately not to be able to trash traps before they trigger.

I think it is definately key that it does not say when you access, but a card you access.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
Even the response said "after" you access

Not "when" you access

No Imp will not make you trap immune
It will just let you trash things for 1 virus counter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benedetto Loffredo
Italy
Portici (NA)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saprophyte wrote:

Don't think so.
First you have to access a card (and suffer the when access effects) and after, as said in the answer I've been given, use Imp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Finkel
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question I've had is whether it will let you trash an ordinary, unprotected Agenda instead of stealing it, i.e. to protect against Jinteki: Personal Evolution.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
Azeltir wrote:
Another question I've had is whether it will let you trash an ordinary, unprotected Agenda instead of stealing it, i.e. to protect against Jinteki: Personal Evolution.

Its like asking if you can use Demolition Run to trash Agenda's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Bussema
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:

This has already been covered in numerous places, and the answer is yes. Imp lets you trash ANYTHING.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agha Ahsan
United States
Los Altos Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
InfoCynic wrote:
Azeltir wrote:

This has already been covered in numerous places, and the answer is yes. Imp lets you trash ANYTHING.

the question is, though, why would you even consider that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Darney wrote:
InfoCynic wrote:
Azeltir wrote:

the question is, though, why would you even consider that?

Archives is wide open, and the server you accessed the agenda from has Red Herrings...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Pictured: Rags Raggerson, successful businesscat
mb
Or you're playing Jinteki/Personal Evolution and scoring the agenda would kill you.

Since we're talking official rulings regarding Imp, I got this from Lukas today.

Quote:
The Runner can trash an agenda with Imp instead of stealing it. Card text has priority over the rules, and Imp says the accessed card can be trashed even if it cannot normally be trashed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azeltir wrote:

I actually had the same question before. I know this was talked about in other threads, but was never "officially" answered because the posters were unable to post what they knew. So I asked Lukas myself. (I also asked if we were allowed to post his responses on forums or not.)

Quote:
Rule Question:
If the runner access an agenda using Demolition Run, does the runner have the option of trashing the agenda instead of scoring the agenda?

Also, are we allowed to quote your responses in forums discussing these questions, or is that frowned upon?

The Runner can trash the agenda with Demolition Run (or Imp) instead of stealing it. The card text has priority over the rules, and Demolition Run says the card can be trashed even if it cannot normally be trashed.

Feel free to post my answers in online communities as official answers, but these answers are not as 'official' as the ones that appear in the FAQ, which are written to be more technical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yan
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my official answer.

Quote:
1. Yes. The Runner can trash an agenda with Imp instead of stealing it. Card text has priority over the rules, and Imp says the accessed card can be trashed even if it cannot normally be trashed.

2. No. The card must be accessed before Imp can be used to trash it, and so the conditional triggered abilities on Snare! et al. will resolve before the Runner can trash the card with Imp.

Hope that helps

questions (don't remember specific wording)

1) can you use imp to trash agendas instead of stealing them ?

2) Since both imp and ambush asset triggers on "access" and that the runner have priority, can you use imp to trash an ambush asset before it cause damage ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Skylar114 wrote:
Archives is wide open, and the server you accessed the agenda from has Red Herrings...

The only thing on my A:NR bucket list is to, with Imp, trash an agenda that'd put me over the top and win, just so I can sit back and watch the Corp run out of agenda points and deck out. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tala Mare
msg tools
mb
selwyth wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:

The only thing on my A:NR bucket list is to, with Imp, trash an agenda that'd put me over the top and win, just so I can sit back and watch the Corp run out of agenda points and deck out. whistle

Some Anarch's just want to watch the world burn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mychal
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
selwyth wrote:
Skylar114 wrote:

And what a surprise it'll be when they start building a tower of ICE and you come to find out they splashed Archived Memories... devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.