Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you heard me... There are no deep videos on this game, apart from Joe Steadman's short review and the three 1-2 minute clips from Snowman.

And I am certain this game deserves more, mostly because I consider it a nice entry into the heavier games! You can for instance go to The Battle for Normandy or The Longest Day from here (yeah, TLD is old, I know). Or to other such games.

I saw a note on Consimworld from way back in 2010 about a planned video session by Joel Toppen, but cannot find anything more on that (or a video from it)...

Really?
No one?
C'mon!!! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that I would love to see some videos about this game, especially an instructional one. This game sits on my shelf unplayed because I'm having such a hard time grasping the rules. Not sure why. I play "complex" games like Paths of Glory and SPQR but N'44 is very difficult for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the rules are not easily grasped... I will shortly do second readthrough to confirm this assumption.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried reading the rules with the game set up in front of me. That would probably help. I may try it once I get done with Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 which is occupying my table space at the moment. Still, some videos would be awesome. I think N'44 looks really good; I haven't given up on it yet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Come on fellas this is not a difficult game to grasp if you have played hex and counter wargames before. The sequence of play isn't anything complex. Mark S. introduces some relatively new concepts like ZOC Bonds and Determined Defense/Fire Fight results on the CRT that require another die roll. These ideas though are pretty intuitive. It is one map. Set it up and play through the example of play. If I had video skills I'd do one. Just seems ya'll are making this appear more difficult than it really is. Another option is to go to the Facebook Vassal Wargamers page and schedule a vassal game with someone like me willing to teach you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

I have a Vassal game pre-scheduled already, that is the whole purpose modestwhistle

And yes, after a second readthrough and walking through the Example of play the game might settle in, I am not saying no to that! We shall see... But that video!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be one of the less complicated wargames I own. So do not hesitate to take the plunge. it's a one or two hour investment to read the rules. You do not have to understand every minute detail and how they fit into the whole. Just read the freaking rules. Then set up the game and play through turn 1 and 2 solo. Look up rules when you must while you go through the sequence of play. After that the game rules should be easy to grasp and soon feel like second nature. Do not forget the errata files and the desgner's new victory conditions!

This is a gem and should get more credit than it has been given already!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rehn
Australia
SPIT JUNCTION
NSW
flag msg tools
Hi Joe
A video might be helpful as an overview, but I think your best approach might be to set up a detailed play through of the example of play.

I have just been playing my first set up of Mark Simonitch's Ardennes 44 which is about the same level of complexity. The game is now up to turn 5. I was also really hesitant on my first 10 readings of the rule book, but am amazed at how quickly the game mechanics have fallen into place once I got going. Each of the rules that I thought would be hard to keep track of, like ZOC bonds and movement restrictions, have actually seemed really logical once the game play started to flow. The rule book is still being referred to on each turn, but I can honestly say that despite my initial hesitation, I am really enjoying A44. So much so, that I have now purchased a copy of Normandy 44 also.

Good luck with it, the game play is definitely worth the initial effort and I am sure that each of the rules will fall into place once you are going.
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Steadman
United States
El Paso
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting a new video together now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Reed
United States
Clayton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And I posted a day by day replay of it this June (2013).

Honestly, I struggled a bit with the exceptions. I was always looking up the same thing over and over. All questions were easy to find, I just couldn't get them stuck in my brain.

But I will be buying his new game, France '40.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.