Subject: Dragon Dice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
It looks cool. Off suggestion I think I want to buy. I see a couple of versions. should I start with one? is there an original?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a dedicated forum section for each game, which you can find here for Dragon Dice: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1860/dragon-dice#foru...

You may want to browse through it or ask your question there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Dragon Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aldo Ghiozzi
United States
Brentwood
California
flag msg tools
designer
mb
There are several two players starters and those are the best to begin with...

Best,
Aldo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bscox3 wrote:
It looks cool. Off suggestion I think I want to buy. I see a couple of versions. should I start with one? is there an original?

Hi Billy,

Here is a link to SFR's website. They are the current producer of Dragon Dice. You can see their online store and forums there.

They currently have two starters left in stock, Amazon and Swamp Stalker Starter, or the Undead and Feral Starter. If you go through other outlets, you may still be able to find Dwarf and Goblin Starters, or Lava Elf and Coral Elf starters. I definitely recommend any of these over anything else.

1 starter comes with everything you need to play; 18 health point armies for 2 players each, 4 terrains (3 used during gameplay), and 2 dragons (1 for each player). Getting 2 or 3 of the same starter can be better, because several races have special abilities at a particular terrain. Having a second starter allows you to at least have 2 of each terrain, so you can start taking advantage of their abilities more. Also, the extra starters will let you either play with a larger army size (24 or 36 points each), as well as give you more units to choose between for your armies. As you become more familiar with the dice, this will be important.

Also, if you haven't already seen it, see below for a "How to Play Dragon Dice" video that's fairly recent. It's in two parts, but this is the first part.

I love the game myself, so if you have any questions, feel free to post on the board or message me. If you post on the SFR forums, you're bound to see even more help from several other players as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Wow thanks for that it helps!

So if I buy two of this one I should be able to do alot?

Dragon Dice: Amazon & Swamp Stalker Starter

Then in the future once I get the game I could buy the undead? Would you keep it consistent and buy double of everything you buy? Then I assume you can mix and match and fight races from Undead with the above, etc.

thanks for your time and help I cant wait to start.

Billy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on how much diversity you want in your dice. I recommend 2-3 starters right now to start out. Have enough to play with, see what you think of the game, see how much you like it. Most people recommend sticking to 1-2 races at the start, but it all depends on your style. I diversified and got a little bit of everything myself. laugh

If you're able to buy locally, then doubling isn't a bad idea. If you're ordering online (which I typically have to do, unfortunately), then shipping costs can be high, so I tend to make bigger orders than that to compensate.

And yes, as you get more dice, you can mix races. A lot of players start out with single race armies because that is easier to play, but there are great combinations in combining races for an army as well.

On SFR's website, you can browse through the individual dice and see what's out there. Remember that in each starter, for each race, there is 1 rare and 1 monster, as well as 3 uncommons and 5 commons. So if you happen to decide you have to have certain dice (like me), particularly of the rares and monsters, you may be purchasing several packs to try and pull those certain dice.

But for a first player, I believe 2 starters is a decent start for yourself and another player. You can combine all the dice for a big 36 point army of each race, or you can run 18 or 24 pt armies and have a small pool of dice to choose from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Great I will pick up the two starters and give you a shout again! Thanks for everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danilo
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi there,
just to point out that this is a collectible games, what Dolus was suggesting is to buy 2 or 3 of _the same_ starters so to have enough dice of the two races (I'd buy feral/undead , but amazon/swampstalker would be nice too. it's a matter of taste I suppose) for some good games.

This is because what you'll find in starter is randomly selected, hence buying multiple of them will provide you with a variety of the dice, and you'll be able to try some army constructions.

Stick with only two race at the beginning, after you've learned a bit more of how the game plays, you'll decide what to add to your collection.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Koziatek
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that there is no difference in dice between a starter or a kicker (booster). So the Undead starter would give you 18 pts (monster=4, rare=3, uncommon=2, common=1) of both undead and Amazone, but the Undead kicker also gives you 18 pts work. Dice packaging is all random, outside the rarity distribution.

Also note that once you have enough dice, your army can say consist of all commons, or uncommons, etc. Diff types have diff advantages.

So all in all, if the 2 races in a starter appeals to you, but more than 1 starter for the rulebook and extras.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite.

Kickers have 1 monster, 1 rare, 2 uncommons, 4 common.
Starters have 1 monster, 1 rare, 3 uncommons, 5 commons, for each race.

When you're just starting the game, you definitely need to get starters to get the terrain dice and dragons, as they're a necessary part of the game. But yes, after you have a few starters, if you like a race that's sold in kicker instead of starter, then you could just pick up a bunch of kickers.

And Undead kickers are no longer readily available. Some do exist here and there, usually on eBay, but in retail they're generally not available anymore. Same goes for Swamp Stalker kickers. Basically, races are available in starters or in kickers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Well I am about to pull the trigger. Can I have some fun to start with 1 Undead Starter and 1 Swamp starter?

Thats a good start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Undead Starter has both Undead and Feral. The Swamp Stalker starter has Swamp Stalkers and Amazons. So if you get 1 of each, you'll have 4 races. I recommend getting two of the same Starter in the beginning.

If you really wanted to get one of each, then play with a single starter at first just to figure out the rules and gameplay. Once you understand how to play and can play a game, if you want to build a bigger army, I would recommend combining amazons and ferals together. And then combining swamp stalkers and undead together. That should at least help when it comes to casting the right color magic and trying to be somewhat effective at it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Cox
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Alrighty I will by two starters of undead to start and learn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Yuma
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
on a side note, what is the play-aid sheet they are playing on in the video.looks like a great asset

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oldwargamer wrote:
on a side note, what is the play-aid sheet they are playing on in the video.looks like a great asset

Good question!

Here are the playmants.

The spell lists can be daunting at first, on top of learning the rules. But the demo playmats are great with a smaller spell list, and only the spells you care about. It also has all the iconography for your race, etc. So it's great playing with those.

Once you become more comfortable with the spells and the game, you can use the intermediate playmat. They are still each race-specific, but are a decent aid for advanced players.

A bit more difficult when you start combining races in an army. But that's because their racial spells are different. But once you have the intermediate playmat down, you should be fine playing with or without them.

The playmats are 16"x21". You can go in somewhere such as Staples to have them printed, I believe. What I did, was print them on 4 separate 8.5x11" sheets and combined them together. If you're printer doesn't allow for tiling, let me know. I can see if I can get these cut down to size in PDF. I'll also have to look into how well it looks if I shrink it and print it on two sheets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.