$10.00
Sophie Morgan
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to go to Target today to return a defective popcorn popper. In front of me in line is a woman with a large bag. When she gets to the counter, she starts unloading board games. Out comes Pandemic, Flash Point, Deadwood, and and Catan. All are out of the shrink.

The cashier asks the woman what's wrong, why she wants to return them, since they are open.

"My kids got these for Christmas and they're supposed to be games, but these aren't games!"

The cashier kind of looks at the woman, but says, "Well since they're open I don't think we can take them back."

"Well we had to open them so we could try to play them, but one look at the rules and these are too hard. We'll never figure them out. They're not games. I don't know what they are, but games are supposed to be fun and these aren't."

"I'll have to talk to the manager. Hang on," says the cashier.

Cashier disappears and then comes back and says, "Well, we'll take them back, but since they're open we can only give you the current selling price and some are on clearance."

Well, the woman doesn't like that since she does have the receipt. So they go back and forth a few times and finally the woman starts piling them back into the bag. "I'll just keep them, then. Maybe my kids have some #$%@'ing genius friends I can give them to. You really need to stop selling these in the toy department, though. These are not toys. They're brain cell killers! Your marketing is misleading."

Meanwhile, I'm standing there with my popcorn popper trying not to laugh and thinking, "Well, at least I'll never be competing for a job with this woman's kids. If this stuff is too hard for them, they're never going to make it through high school."

I guess this is what happens when you unleash uncommon games into a mass market department store environment.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah. The dumbing down of our generation. Maybe we should start creating "roll and move" variants for these games so the unwashed masses can join in the fun?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin B
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonder if she tried to put the "games" into the DVD drive of her computer. Wouldn't surprise me if she did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fox
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, thanks for sharing! The sad part is that those games are probably exactly the type of entertainment those kids could use. I'm sure she'll get them Monopoly and keep yelling at their teachers when they get bad grades. "You're doing a little too much 'challenging' and 'raising the bar' for my kids!!!! Go find some geniuses to teach!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if it was the kids having problems learning the games or the parents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have got her autograph...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick B.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I never even thought Monopoly was fun as a kid, I was just craving something heavier than Scattergories and Life and didn't know any better. Also, I liked the top hat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Magrill

Austin
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thought exactly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how old were her kids?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Exit...pursued by a bear.
mb
matthean wrote:

I'm assuming she was in her late 20's, maybe 28, so I'm guessing her kids are around 14 maybe 15
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sad. Target needs to be encouraged something other than mass-market games. But perhaps she's right in a sense; the games may need to be segregated and labeled differently than other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
They're brain cell killers!

And how would she know? She obviously has none left to be killed so her theory is untestable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
That's sad. Target needs to be encouraged something other than mass-market games. But perhaps she's right in a sense; the games may need to be segregated and labeled differently than other games.

So how would they be labeled in such a way to be appealing to people looking for good games and yet repellant to idiots?

Also, I don't really agree with this premise anyway. There is nothing fundamentally different between these games and other games. Pandemic may need attention called to the fact that it's a co-op game, but at a basic level these are all still games. Better games, yes, but still games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chanan Siegel
Israel
ramat beit shemesh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I play Settlers of Catan with my kids. Granted they are not too good at it, but they are only six and nine. Now I will admit my two year old finds it too be a little too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin "Coop" Cooper
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
Just Coop.
badge
What?
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Also, I don't really agree with this premise anyway. There is nothing fundamentally different between these games and other games. Pandemic may need attention called to the fact that it's a co-op game, but at a basic level these are all still games. Better games, yes, but still games.

These games have "thick" rule books. Your typical MB/Hasbro game has a rule sheet. It might be double sided. There is absolutely a complexity difference between Pandemic and Life, which I think is probably the most complex old school mainstream game. Strategically chess would be more complex, but the rules are even simpler!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the complexity of "our" games, even the gateways, are an order of magnitude greater than most mass-market games. I think Target's idea is that these are for college-educated adults to play against each other, or maybe with their kids...but it's hard to put up a sign for that!

It's probably less of a problem at Barnes & Noble, if I had to guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Morgan
United States
Old Bridge
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the part that we're missing here is that some of these games are on clearance. To the car!
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coopasonic wrote:
dboeren wrote:

These games have "thick" rule books. Your typical MB/Hasbro game has a rule sheet. It might be double sided. There is absolutely a complexity difference between Pandemic and Life, which I think is probably the most complex old school mainstream game. Strategically chess would be more complex, but the rules are even simpler!

If someone isn't familiar with the types of games that are talked about on this site, then I can definitely see how they could be turned off by even what we consider to be small rule books. The fact that they are multiple pages at all is a big deal.

I've seen this a lot when I have pulled out new games to play with my family. Everyone is daunted by the appearance of the boards and the number of pieces but once I walk them through the rules they can quickly appreciate the gameplay. My mom loves Catan now, but even she has asked "Why can't we just play regular games like 'Sorry!'?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
matthean wrote:

I'm assuming she was in her late 20's, maybe 28, so I'm guessing her kids are around 14 maybe 15

So she had them when she was 13?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schroeder
United States
Lewiston
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post made my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Framingham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
matthean wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
matthean wrote:

So she had them when she was 13?

That's the joke.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott "Tox" Morris
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You should have recommended Puerto Rico or Eclipse for her instead
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:

My first thought. If they're 6-8 years old, then yeah, outside of Catan, they are way too hard. Even Catan will require some serious help. However, given her reaction, I have to assume she at least, is a complete idiot. "Brain Cell Killers"? shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
matthean wrote:

What the fuck is the breeding age where YOU come from?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [13] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.