Subject: Clear plastic hex bases? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen people put their minis on clear hex bases. Are they included in the box?? It looks like they are game specific since they have a little indentation for the smaller round base plate.

Another question for people with dreadball experience: would you say hex bases are more or less needed for minis not to fall over/get knocked over by accident? I was thinking maybe I could skip hex bases and maybe paint some threat zone markings on the sides of the smaller round bases. The feet on some minis seem to protrude a lot so maybe you wouldn't see that clearly while playing...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skolo
Netherlands
R`dam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yes they come in the box. yes you would like to have them while playing with the minis because of the facing rule mainly and stability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Grubaugh
United States
San Antonio
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't use the hex bases you might want to weigh down the bases with a washer or something as they fall over easily when bumped.

The game is AWESOME!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say hex bases are pretty much a necessity. They make the facing which is very important for the game a lot more clear and help in balancing as the miniatures fall over very easily without them. In fact, one of the Veer-Myn strikers is pretty much impossible to get it to stand up without a hex!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Lundin
Sweden
Åtvidaberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for answers! Hex bases it is then.

Jonah: about the minis I heard some mvp:s have trouble standing up. Don't they test that stuff in the production room?? My dear.

Shawn: I can't wait to get my hands on it! Reading the rules, it seems like fast tactical mayhem!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
To the beautiful and the wise the mirror always lies.
mbmbmbmbmb
towncrier wrote:
Thanks for answers! Hex bases it is then.

Jonah: about the minis I heard some mvp:s have trouble standing up. Don't they test that stuff in the production room?? My dear.

Shawn: I can't wait to get my hands on it! Reading the rules, it seems like fast tactical mayhem!

Thus the clear bases. It was found out pretty early in the campaign that some figures simply wouldn't stand without them.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I assume it would be hard for them to test so many, especially as they really should go in the hex bases at which point it doesn't matter too much. The Enforcer is the only MVP I've heard of with a problem but you can just heat him up and bend his legs a bit so they're straighter.

Unfortunately Mantic were telling big porkies when they said that the miniatures are snap fit and that the snap fit into the hex's too. It's all lies, lies I tell you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Silbernagel
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of the Veer-myn figures won't stand up without being attached to the hex bases. My Enforcer figure's round base is actually warped, so even attaching him to a base is tough. And yes, it was stated that the figures would snap into the hex bases, but they don't.

Those are all minor niggles though...the game itself is pretty f-ing amazing fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can heat up the Enforcer with hot water (or a hairdryer if you're lazy like me) and bend it back into shape, it's not too hard to do. It's also useful if you want to re-shape arms/legs so that you have different poses. Wish I'd thought of that before I'd started painting mine....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Riddle

Oklahoma
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my enforcer actually has a curve on the base, so not just the legs, thebase itself is a prob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The base is made of the same material as the miniatures though so you can reshape that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Steurich
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read about the hairdryer re-molding technique. It was easier than I imagined. Hairdry the mini (for just a few seconds) then bend it to the position you want. Room temp air or putting it in cold water will stiffen the mini back up.

I repositioned all of the MVPs that were 'problematic' with very little effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, very simple. Just be cautious not to get the mini too hot as it's very easy to heat it up some more if it's not quite hot enough but don't want to risk actually melting it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelican Pants
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What's the best way of sticking the figures to the bases, superglue didn't do a thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You must have some dodgy superglue then because that's what I've done mine with and it works a treat! Although note if you are planning on keeping the bases clear superglue does mist up the clear plastic so you have to be very careful with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelican Pants
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cheers, will try again. (This was a rushed attempt before leaving for work, probably not wise to rush anything with superglue! LOL)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.