Subject: Campaign Mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello again, everybody.

I've been out for some months because I moved out and had a lot of problems with my Internet, and while I could (and did, very often) visited the forums via phone I couldn't write anything too long because... well, because I was on my phone.

Still. I've been working on three projects lately:
- A Strategy Guide about the Heroes of Middle-Earth for new players.
- The first-ever Custom-Cycle
- A New Mode called "Campaign Mode", where you would control a small group that walks through Middle-Earth trying to subvert Sauron's plans.

This post will be about the third project.

Campaign Mode
1. Why should I care?
First of all, this is a user-created variant, so you will care only if you like different things, and, I assure you you have never seen a variant for this game like this.
It is a almost complete overhaul of the game. The mechanics are the same, but instead of a card game based on scenarios, this new mode will immerse you in Middle-Earth's world, using a detailed map (that you can print or use your TV as a big virtual map) and a very interesting story.

2; What can you tell us about the story?
First of all, it'll also be custom. Which means you experience a different march of the Free Peoples against Sauron, and yet, we tried to keep it close to the lore as possible. The story is developed by a friend of mine who majored in History recently and used Middle-Earth as his focus for his TCC (a academic work needed for you to conclude the majoring in Brazil).

3. And the mechanics, will you keep it simple?
Yes, I'll try to. The fewer the rules, the better the understanding. At the moment, I have not touched any of the actual game rules, and other than the deckbuilding mechanic I do not intend to mess with any other already established rule.

4. A little bit more...
The game will be a mix of adventure and card game, where whether you fail or succeed in a quest is relevant to the upcoming events. So, if Wilyador died in Rhosgobel, it'll be harder to get Radagast's attention and even worse if you planned to have the Eagles on your side at the final battle.

New cards are being made for the purpose of completeness and diversity, and some of them are very prizes to certain achievements. The new Trait 'Elite' is designed for special cards that will only unlock if you have complete most scenarios related to that keyword with maximum success.

A little peek...
Rushed Training

A good leader is capable of inspiring the most unfitted to fight for a cause. Yet, skill is something necessary in battle.

Unto Shadow

Sometimes all you need to win is that extra push.

A Pure Stroke

A single moment. One strike, one life.

Finduilas

They say she was the light in Denethor's life.

Saruman, the White

While he was on the light's side, Saruman was the Leader of the Five.

Glóin

His tactical prowess may be the key to victory.

Tom Bombadil

A very powerful, yet unstable weapon.

Erkenbrand

The blademaster of the Rohirrim.

Dwarven Zealot

These furious dwarven elite soldier are amongst the only capable of striking fear in the enemy's heart!

Daughter of Mithrellas

Nimble as a fae, the Daughter of Mithrellas are able to wander far from the enemy's gaze.

Fountain Guard

It is an honor to be chosen as one of the Fountain Guard, and these men do not shy from even the most grim battle.

Cache

Weapons! WEAPONS!

And a lot more (Gwaihir, Faramir, Éowyn, Thranduil, Théoden, ...) on the trigger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds awesome. You have given it a lot of thought, it's very apparent that your time has been spent seriously thinking this through.

The cards all have interesting actions and abilities, but I can see that you have quests in mind for some of them because they don't make complete sense if used on a normal FFG quest.

I'm wondering if FFG has or is considering something like this. It's amazing, because of this immersive game, your campaign mode puts you directly inside the world. Good stuff. Thanks.

Are you going to update us regularly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fantastic!

Count me in!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
This sounds awesome. You have given it a lot of thought, it's very apparent that your time has been spent seriously thinking this through.

Thanks man!

Quote:
The cards all have interesting actions and abilities, but I can see that you have quests in mind for some of them because they don't make complete sense if used on a normal FFG quest.

If you don't mind me asking... How so?

Quote:
I'm wondering if FFG has or is considering something like this. It's amazing, because of this immersive game, your campaign mode puts you directly inside the world. Good stuff. Thanks.

Having it as an official expansion or something would be AWESOME!

Quote:
Are you going to update us regularly?

Yes, I'll. It will walk slowly, because I still have the other two projects to finish, but I'm not walking away until I've finished this campaign mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
notrub eneg
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wow, looks magnificent and very ambitious.
Sounds like a good direction to take.
Nice cards. Especially intrigued by Bombadil.

Like many of your other items, excellent. So looking forward to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am so there, thanks mate. Your stuff is brilliant and I look forward to this anxiously!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for the support! Here's another card...

The prize for completing all the stages on the Misty Mountains:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
Gasp! How dare you!

I demand a gigantic crown that looks like a tiny crown compared to the eagle's head photoshoped into that picture!

Looks awsome as ever, can't wait till you finish and release to public.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What?

What are you talking about? It is there... It has always been there. ninja
hahah

This project will take a lot of time, but I'll try to keep this page updated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Martin
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've been thinking of creating something similar for awhile, mostly for my own use, because the biggest thing this game lacks in my opinion is more RPG elements and a campaign mode. I really am looking forward to seeing what you come up with!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gabriele romagnoli
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That sounds like a very interesting idea!
I have some questions:
- would that be designed for a both 2 players and solo experience?
-is it somehow a mechanic that could be applied to the old scenarios (official or custom)or there will be a sets of scenario compatible with the campaign mode?

If you need any help in playtesting send me a PM.
Thanks for the efforts and keep us updated

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeonlord wrote:
That sounds like a very interesting idea!
I have some questions:
- would that be designed for a both 2 players and solo experience?
-is it somehow a mechanic that could be applied to the old scenarios (official or custom)or there will be a sets of scenario compatible with the campaign mode?

If you need any help in playtesting send me a PM.
Thanks for the efforts and keep us updated

1. It is designed with Multiplayer (specially 2p) in mind, BUT, since I know there is a good amount of solo players I'll devise a method for one-player before officially launching this mode.

2. I'll use most (if not all) of the old scenarios with liiiiittle changes; some of them will only receive an extra stage saying what you gained for completing the scenario, while others will have some minor changes as well.

When I get to the testing step, I'll definitively send you a PM. Hope you have a good Internet connection, because there is a ton of material to test already. haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cordeiro Cordeirooo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have made a website to post the updates and more stuff about my creations.

There is already two posts there, one of them is the first ever Design Diaries, where I talk about how I want to increase space for cards design without removing anything from the game.

Other than custom stuff, I'll also update it with decks and some comments about cards and expansions. Anyone who would like to help is a welcome addition!

Hope you guys like it. ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.