Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Spears
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group of 6 gathered for our weekly session last night around 7:30pm. I brought Arkham Horror with me, but having just bought it and not knowing all the rules yet, I was open to playing another game. One of the other players brought Super Munchkins. I suggested we play a quick game of Super Munchkin and then we could look through the Arkham Game. Three players had played Munchkins before, three had not. I am one of the players who had never played Munchkin before.

Before we knew it, its nearly 11:00 and we are still on our first game of Munchkins. We were playing with only the Super Munchkin set. At the end we only had about 5 cards left in the Treasure deck. We were reshuffling the deck after every other player. One of the remaining cards was Secret Lab, which allows you to draw 4 treasures, keep 2 and discard 2. Another card was Rock of Redemption. This card turned an enemy to good, giving the player the treasures, but no levels. The remaining treasure cards were 'Gain a Level' cards. With only 5 or 6 cards to shuffle back into the treasure deck and 6 players, Rock of Redemption was getting back into play so quickly, that no one could win.

Nearly 11:30 now and everyone was level 8 or 9. Either the five other players had enough cards to block a victory or someone had the Rock of Redemption card. After 11:30 we let the next player win just to finish the game.

Overall it was a fun game and I would play munchkin again. Next time we do play we should make sure we have the original set of cards too. With 6 players we needed to have more treasure cards to keep from seeing the same ones over and over again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think next time you play you should...not playmeeple Arkham Horror is much much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Biggar
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, none of the base munchkin games really have enough cards to play with more then 4. Each game expansion seems to alow for the support of 2-3 more players. But even then for more then 6 players, you might want to impose a "distance" rule. This is a house rule that players seated more then 2-3 places away from the active player can't play cards that effect that player or help in combat. This aleaviates the effect that the more player you have the more likely it is that someone will still have a stopper card when some player tries for a win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denise Patterson-Monroe
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How were people having that many cards? Isn't there a hand limit? Or were all the cards face up in front of people?

At any rate, my sympathies, sounds like a nightmare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Askew
United Kingdom
Pelaw, Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Denise wrote:
How were people having that many cards? Isn't there a hand limit?

I agree.

I Haven't played Super Munchkin, but I've got Munchkin & Star Munchkin with expansions, and Blender - and I'm pretty sure there's a hand limit with all of these.

Perhaps thats what caused your game to drag on for hours...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No hand limit on Items, put them all on the table*. Plenty of cards increase your hand limit (well, only one I can think of, but then I don't memorise munchkin cards).

*although in this case Item selling should be a good move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spears
United States
Unspecified
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Atleast a few of us had headquarter cards that allows the player to have an extra card in his hand. There are power cards (Flight, Strechiness, Laser vision, etc,). Each player could have a number ofpower levels on the table equal to their level. At 9th level that could be 9 Power cards per player. There are also Origin cards that would allow an extra level of power to be played. One of the Powers gave the player extra hands. This allowed the player to put on the table and use 4 hands worth of items instead of the normal 2 hands

I think we had too many players for just one set of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartosz Sawicki
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can hardly believe you guys played correctly if you had 5 treasure cards left, unless Super Munchkin cards are totally broken. I played both Munchkin and Munchkin Bites! without expansions and I see no chance for 5-6 people to possess almost all treasure cards. There is a limit for weapons (hands), there is a limit for size of items, there is a hand limit, so if you don't have a possibility to use the card, you have to discard it or give it to someone else if it's exceeds the limit. You should be loosing your levels due to lost fights (as other players interfere) and therefore loosing also powers allowing to exceed limits... unless you played a card-collecting game instead.
I believe that key mechanics of cards is the same in all Munchkin series
which brings me to the conclusion that something went wrong in terms of rules comprehension or that you didn't feel like real munchkins

Btw, in classic munchkin there are ways to win without actually winning the last fight (Divine intervention card when being a cleric). Are there no such cards in Super Munchkin?

I enjoy Munchkin very much and I think its worth trying but fun in it depends on player interaction so if everybody just collects items and cards without some backstabbing, negotiations and dirty tricks - I can imagine it being hopelessly boring.

regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kinney
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dffl_labrats wrote:
A Each player could have a number ofpower levels on the table equal to their level. At 9th level that could be 9 Power cards per player.

I realize this is an old thread but, what the hell, maybe it'll get someone to try the game again. The Power rank (in the bottom right corner of the Power card) is what adds up, not cards on their own. Most powers rank 2 or 3, the only scenario where you could have 9 power cards in front of you is if you were level 9 and all the powers were Rank 1. There is also an Origin that allows you to have any amount of powers regardless of rank, but I'm pretty sure there is only one of those. At level 9, you could have 3 Rank 3 Powers, 3 Rank 2 Powers plus a Rank 1, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.