1115 N. Salem Dr
Schaumburg, IL 60194
(847) 260-8316
The Gaming Goat

Meeting Every Wednesday ~6pm since 3/27/13
Meeting Every Saturday ~noon starting 8/24/13
===

Hello All,

I'm pleased to invite you to join a recently formed league in the Northwest Chicago suburbs. TGG has been a great host, staying open late, and selling Netrunner products (and all of their boardgames apparently) at -40% MSRP. It's been great to teach players how to play and have them be able to turn around a buy a core set for $24.

The environment is friendly and open, we are planning on doing regular swiss style mini-tournaments for $5 a person with 100% being paid out in store credit; however, every week so far we have just played casually or taught the game to new people.

I plan to post here every week with a game night report and info about other local netrunner happenings.

Next Tournament: 6-5-13, $5 16 max swiss for alt art Melange Mining Corps + store credit

SEE YOU CYBERSPACE COWBOY . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome. I won't have time this Wednesday for a full play session, but I plan on stopping by to say hi!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Dony
msg tools
Sounds great! I also can't make this Wednesday but plan on stopping by in the near future. Been looking for a league nearby.

Anyone in the area planning on being at C2E2 this weekend? I'm hoping to get some pickup games in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had to miss the last couple weeks, but I will be there tonight around 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good times were had. Good times.

But seriously, fsck Jinteki.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
4/24/13 Game Night Report:

Great turnout this week, 5 regulars showed up to run nets with a few special guest appearances throughout the night.

Will the Wunderkind: HB/Mac
Joe, Slacker Extraordinare: HB/CT
Evan the OG-Mod: Jinteki/Mac
Matt, Digital Lurker: WC/Noise
Paul, Replicating Paulfection: Jinteki/Gabe
Andrew(me), Making Newbs: NBN/Gabe

Regulars unable to attend were Josh who actually attended, but decided to board game it up, and Mike who stayed home to marathon desperate housewives while crying softly into a pillow.

We all greed to just play casual this week and do a mini next week. Some highlights were:

- Matt new to the game, got to play his first ever corp games against several people. He took some beatings but he came out stronger in the end.

- Will showed off his sweet card altering skills

- Joe beat up my NBN and took it's lunch money with his wyldeside-shaper

- I cut up Paul's credit cards, but he persevered with a clutch notoriety for a well-deserved criminal win.

- My Gabe took all of Evan's cyber-babies to the shed behind planned parenthood

Next Week: 5/1/13, at 6:30 we're doing a swiss mini, following ANR tournament rules. at least 3 rounds of swiss. $5 to register and 100% store credit payout.

Bracket/signup:
http://challonge.com/TGGminis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ugh, something came up, and I may be late. Hopefully, I'll still be able to make the tourney, but don't wait on my account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
5/1/13 Game Night Report:

8 participants, 3 rounds of swiss. Prizes paid out down to 3rd.

Congratulations!:

Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

for taking 1st as Noise/HB at our out first ANR mini at The Gaming Goat!

Congratulations!:

Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

for finishing in 2nd with CT/HB!

Congratulations!:

Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

on his 3rd place finish with Gabe/Jinteki!

Meta Breakdown:

HB (core): 4
HB (ST):

Jinteki (core): 3
Jinteki (RP):

NBN (core): 1
NBN (TWIY):

WC (core): 0
WC (BWBI):
----
Noise: 1
Whizzard: 0

Gabe: 4
Andromeda: 1

Kate: 1
Chaos Theory: 1

Next Week: 5/8/13 at 6:30pm. 16 max Swiss mini. $5 to register, 100% prize pay out!

Sign-up: http://challonge.com/TGGminis2

SEE YOU CYBERSPACE COWBOY...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again, nicely run, Andy! I hope more players continue to learn and play in the western suburbs. The future looks great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for running it! It was a blast. And although I came in second, I don't think it really emphasizes the absolute beating I took in the final game, when Paul scored 15 agenda points with his Noise deck in a single, crushing run. It was so horrible it was awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Challonge accepted; see you dudes tonight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mitchell
United States
Huntley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the second week in a row, I've forgot my cards on the kitchen table. I'm on vacation next week. Perhaps I'll be remember in 2 weeks. Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I thought I wasn't going to able to make it this week, it turns out I will be there, though not until about 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Imboden
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
benfairbank wrote:
Challonge accepted; see you dudes tonight.

I'll be traveling to Geekway tonight. Bring the ruckus, Ben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
5/8/13 Game Night Report

7 participants, 3 rounds of swiss. Prizes paid out down to 3rd.

1st Place:

Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb

with: Noise/NBN

2nd Place:

Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

with: Gabe/Jinteki!

3rd Place:

Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

with: CT/Weyland

Meta Breakdown:

HB (core): 1 (-3)
HB (ST):

Jinteki (core): 4 (+1)
Jinteki (RP):

NBN (core): 1 (+1)
NBN (TWIY):

WC (core): 1 (+1)
WC (BWBI):
----
Noise: 3 (+2)

Gabe: 2 (-2)
Andromeda: 1

Kate: 0 (-1)
Chaos Theory: 1

Next Week: 5/15/13 at 6:30pm. 16 max Swiss mini. $5 to register, 100% prize pay out!

http://challonge.com/TGGmini3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cohen
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Another great time! Thanks, Andy!

Very interesting breakdown of runners and corps. Lots of Jinteki and Noise in our meta, but the top three have been a mix of all sorts for two weeks. The final three were very close, and I think any of us could have won. Congrats, Andrew and Ben!

Out of curiosity, anyone planning on going to the Nationals at GenCon? I go to GenCon every other year, and this is an on year for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the lists I ran last night, presented for the curious:

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Jinteki: Personal Evolution (Core)

Total Cards: (49)

Agenda: (10)
Braintrust (What Lies Ahead) x3
Fetal AI (Trace Amount) x3
Nisei MK II (Core) x3
Private Security Force (Core) x1

Asset: (8)
Melange Mining Corp (Core) x3
Private Contracts (Cyber Exodus) x3
Snare! (Core) x2

ICE: (18)
Caduceus (What Lies Ahead) x3 ■■
Chum (Core) x3
Enigma (Core) x3
Ice Wall (Core) x3 ■
Neural Katana (Core) x3
Wall of Thorns (Core) x3

Operation: (5)
Hedge Fund (Core) x3
Neural EMP (Core) x2

Upgrade: (8)
Akitaro Watanabe (Core) x2
Ash 2X3ZB9CY (What Lies Ahead) x3 ■■
Hokusai Grid (Humanity's Shadow) x3

Total Agenda Points: 20

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 6
Jinteki: 30
NBN: 0
The Weyland Consortium: 9

There’s nothing to crazy going on here. I ran EMP over Android: Netrunner Deck Builder; I believe EMP is more likely to actually flatline someone. I’ll be retiring my Jinteki IDs for the foreseeable future; it’s just too frustrating and futile to play.

I’ve found 2 ways to win with Jinteki; get lucky, perhaps with a double EMP, or face a very passive runner. Jinteki offers the illusion of a proactive game plan, “I’ll play this Hokusai, then Fetal AI. After they run I can EMP for the win”, but the reality is that the runner is completely in the driver’s seat. You have no real way to punish them if they draw and bulid until you place advancement counters on an agenda and if the runner is rude enough to crush your economy with things like Account Syphon or, you know, just making you rez ICE, then you will be too broke to pay for your upgrades or advance agandas.

I had thought Ronin might help take some control away from the runner, but jopejope has convinced me, here, that Ronin is rather terrible.

jopejope wrote:
…if you play someone good they will be aggressive and they will run everything you advance and you will lose horribly.

Ronin is basically an agenda. Because it requires a click to activate it's essentially a 5 cost agenda. It's an agenda that can potentially win the game for you. But does your Jinteki deck that is already so starved for cash and defenses really need more agendas?

Ronin does not change the Jinteki bluff game at all. You just have to treat it like an agenda. They are still horribly behind if you trash Ronin with advancement counters on it (it will typically have 2 advancement counters when you trash it). The only change is that if you think they are playing Ronin you want to be even more aggressive about calling their bluffs and running their advanced cards because that essentially means they have more agendas per Junebug.

Enough complaining about Jinteki.

Deck Created with CardGameDB.com Android: Netrunner Deck Builder

Identity:
Gabriel Santiago: Consummate Professional (Core)

Total Cards: (45)

Event: (22)
Account Siphon (Core) x3
Emergency Shutdown (Cyber Exodus) x3
Forged Activation Orders (Core) x3
Inside Job (Core) x3
Kraken (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Special Order (Core) x3
Sure Gamble (Core) x3
Networking (Humanity's Shadow) x1
Stimhack (Core) x1 ■
The Maker's Eye (Core) x1 ■■

Hardware: (4)
Desperado (Core) x2
Dyson Mem Chip (Trace Amount) x1
E3 Feedback Implants (Trace Amount) x1

Program: (12)
Corroder (Core) x2 ■■
Crypsis (Core) x2
Femme Fatale (Core) x2
Parasite (Core) x2 ■■
Sneakdoor Beta (Core) x3
Yog.0 (Core) x1 ■

Resource: (7)
Kati Jones (Humanity's Shadow) x2
Armitage Codebusting (Core) x3
Crash Space (Core) x1
Ice Carver (Core) x1 ■■■

Influence Values Totals -
Anarch: 13
Criminal: 61
Shaper: 2

Last week I had 3 Compromised Employee, 3 Maker’s Eye, 1 Déjà vu, another E3 and 2 Cresentus; this was the first time I ran the “Ice Destruction” version of Gabe. I switched it up because I wanted to try Kraken and because there are so many Jinteki decks that Maker’s Eye can just kill you. I’m going to cut Kraken, it’s too expensive and win-more, but I like the Parasites a lot. I don’t think I need Ice Carver either; I’ll likely swap the Kraken and Carver for Stimhack + (something awesome, maybe Déjà vu or Maker’s Eye).

Having another angle of attack is important; you can’t count on Sneakdoor/Shutdown/Syphon + aggressive running to be enough. Eventually, the corporation might throw some ICE up over HQ (after you trash your Sneakdoor to reclaim the MU); the Maker’s Eye or Ice Destruction plan will give you long game.

I’ve never liked compromised employee, so I was happy to switch to Kati. Kati is another card that makes the criminal long game better. Now, you can have that Shaper-esque inevitability, that annoying ability to break into any server, anytime. Playing Kati means you care about tags, unfortunately. I’m trying Crash Space and Networking to see which I like better (and because redundant copies of either aren’t that great); I never actually had the opportunity to play Networking, so the jury is still out. The consensus seems to be “Networking is terrible”, but I think it deserves consideration.
What’s with the memory chip? It’s my Desparado “proxy” (FFG hasn’t completely owned me yet).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
GleamingTerrier wrote:
Another great time! Thanks, Andy!

Very interesting breakdown of runners and corps. Lots of Jinteki and Noise in our meta, but the top three have been a mix of all sorts for two weeks. The final three were very close, and I think any of us could have won. Congrats, Andrew and Ben!

Out of curiosity, anyone planning on going to the Nationals at GenCon? I go to GenCon every other year, and this is an on year for me.

Yes, very close, good games. The three of us were within 1 prestige point of each other so no big blowouts this week.

I've never been to GenCon, but I will certainly go if I somehow win a regional and get the invite.

I'm kind of wary of conventions that have been running for a long time in general, I don't like elbow to elbow crowds, and having to wait in line for everything.

benfairbank wrote:
stuff

I just recall before HS coming out all of the jinteki players were all like, oh man all I need is something that stops the runner from jacking out then jinteki will be awesome!

Whirlpool comes out, and now it's just tumbleweeds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:

I've never been to GenCon, but I will certainly go if I somehow win a regional and get the invite.

The invite is to the World Championship Weekend, not GenCon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Tournament tonight as planned

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Smithy

Wheaton
Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any details on the regionals registration?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:

Registration is $15, reg form.pdf contains a sheet you can fill out and bring in day of the tournament. (It's just to register your deck, no other info besides your name is needed)

Deck Reg Form: http://preview.tinyurl.com/b399vbl

You can contact Evan, the store manager at the schaumburg store to pre-register. I'm not going to put a cap on the players for this tourney until we get closer to game day.

Evan can be reached at (847)260-8316 weekdays after 3pm, and anytime on weekends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
5/15/13 Game Night Report

8 participants, 3 rounds of swiss. Prizes paid out down to 3rd.

1st Place:

Andrew B
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb

with: Noise/NBN

2nd Place:

Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

with: Gabe/HB!

3rd Place:

Kyle O.

with: Kate/Weyland

Meta Breakdown:

HB (core): 2 (+1)
HB (ST):

Jinteki (core): 0 (-4)
Jinteki (RP):

NBN (core): 3 (+2)
NBN (TWIY):

WC (core): 3 (+2)
WC (BWBI):
----
Noise: 1 (-2)

Gabe: 1 (-1)
Andromeda: 2 (+1)

Kate: 2 (+2)
Chaos Theory: 2 (+1)

Next Week: 5/22/13 at 6:30pm. 16 max Swiss mini. $5 to register, 100% prize pay out!

http://challonge.com/Tggminis4

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:
Hdnggrnchrg wrote:

Registration is $15, reg form.pdf contains a sheet you can fill out and bring in day of the tournament. (It's just to register your deck, no other info besides your name is needed)

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2BAx2IajWjddUhoXzRF...

You can contact Evan, the store manager at the schaumburg store to pre-register. I'm not going to put a cap on the players for this tourney until we get closer to game day.

Evan can be reached at (847)260-8316 weekdays after 3pm, and anytime on weekends.

I don't think the entire link made it into the post; I'm getting "404/requested URL was not found on this server".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Fairbank
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chill84 wrote:
5/15/13 Game Night Report

Meta Breakdown:
HB: 2 (+1)
Jinteki: 0 (-4)
NBN: 3 (+2)
WC: 3 (+2)
--
Noise: 1 (-2)
Gabe: 1 (-1)
Andromeda: 2 (+1)
Chaos Theory: 2 (+1)
Kate: 2 (+2)

I like the "change in metagame since last week numbers", though I find it strange that we played less of the worst corporation and best runners (compared to last week).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.