Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright people, let's cut straight to the chase: You've all already seen the recent brouhaha about OCTGN paid subscriptions and if you're anything like me and also love playing A:NR online, this might be weighting a bit on your mind. I know it does for me.

So, I have some good news.

I've been talking to the main OCTGN developer and reiterating both the concerns people have, which I also share. After these discussion and seeing how strongly the community feels about the original plan, he agrees that a reconsideration is in order.

So we sat down and discussed the best way to address the questions of funding future development as well as running costs and we believe that we've found a support solution that is both elegant and respectful to the various communities that we expect to use it.

I will not go into details here because it's better if those are announced in a central and official place. I will say however that I am perfectly happy with the suggested plan as I feel it's not forcing anyone's hand and has an actual chance of achieving its goals, which are better OCTGN for everyone.

So soon they're going to put out an announcement explaining all this and I'll make sure you're all made aware ASAP.

I am also perfectly aware that Kelly's behaviour here has seriously soured a lot of people. This is understandable and I explained my displeasure to him at length, and so did many other devs. Fortunately he understands he was out of line and has apologized to an extent.

That said, I hope you'll give this honest attempt a second chance. Regardless of his horrible PR skillz, Kelly is indeed a hard-working individual, who has spent years working on OCTGN for almost no reward (i.e. unlike me, who I actually reward myself by playing my plugins). He may be invisible to you, but I can honestly say that without his hard work, we wouldn't be where we are today. Kelly might be his own worst enemy sometimes, and in this instance, he felt incensed about some of the extravagant rumours that he felt were going around. He felt the need to defend himself, especially given how OCTGN is like a baby to him, the same way the A:NR plugin is to me.

I'm not saying this excuses his behaviour, but I hope it makes it understandable. We've all been there sometimes.

At the end of the day, both Kelly, myself, and many of you have the same goals: A better OCTGN experience (or otherwise put: a better online ANR gaming experience), and even if Kelly himself not anymore a likable character to you, I hope you'll recognise that he will nevertheless keep working hard for your benefit, as long as you let him. Don't worry, I'll keep him out of here unless he behaves in the future, even if I have to gag him.

So to summarize, the OCTGN support plan is being re-thought. You can rest assured it won't be forced and it will not fragment the community, and we hope won't have any legal concerns (at least, as much as that is possible in the grey area we're in). Once it is announced, please take a second look and put forth your concerns if any remain.

Cheers everyone!

PS: If it is possible, can the OP or the first commenters of the "panic" thread to put a link to this thread? I would hate that random people get the wrong impression from the first 2 pages.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bless your heart, Db0.

http://i.imgur.com/THG3G5J.gif
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
I am extremely happy and pleased with this developement. Thanks to kelly for being reasonable and to you db0 for acting as a mediator in the dispute. I'll be waiting for further announcements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only complaint I have is of seeing that creepy ass Joffrey looping over there

Well done db0, and well done Octgn team, on defusing the situation. Bravo

Looking forward to the announcement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Just a random idea that might work some, why not start a OCTGN Offical Youtube Network. Doing Spotlights of games, new releases, live casting and VODs of games. Maybe get some people to do Vlogs about strategy and such.

It'd be a community work, well within what is legal, and all the money made off the youtube/steaming ads goes right to the OCTGN team to fund the servers and upcoming features. Also gives an official channel that the team can feed news and info the community in a clean and easy way.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
The only complaint I have is of seeing that creepy ass Joffrey looping over there

Haha, fair point. Changed to a link!

But this sounds like great news. Everyone just wants the best for the project, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordNat wrote:
Just a random idea that might work some, why not start a OCTGN Offical Youtube Network. Doing Spotlights of games, new releases, live casting and VODs of games. Maybe get some people to do Vlogs about strategy and such.

It'd be a community work, well within what is legal, and all the money made off the youtube/steaming ads goes right to the OCTGN team to fund the servers and upcoming features. Also gives an official channel that the team can feed news and info the community in a clean and easy way.

Thoughts?

Cool idea

I do think for that to be cool enough there could be some rehashes to the interface to be more spectator friendly - like what Team Covenant has done with their game recordings.

Graphically I think even small changes can go a long long way towards making the game (VERY) spectator worthy

Not that the casters and recorders aren't doing a great job currently, of course!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bialecki
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this something different than the "Keep OCTGN Alive" pledge drive I just supported yesterday? As of right now, there's only 56 of us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbialeck wrote:
Is this something different than the "Keep OCTGN Alive" pledge drive I just supported yesterday? As of right now, there's only 56 of us.

Yes! The "Keep OCTGN Alive" campaign is being decommissioned as well. Check it out again for the news. Of course since it's a fixed cost you won't be charged anything, but indiegogo does not allow to cancel a project which is what we'd like to have done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdanuser wrote:
Tuism wrote:

But this sounds like great news. Everyone just wants the best for the project, really.

Nah, I jest! I don't mind the slow clap gesture at all

(Although I really, Really, REALLY think that Joffrey is a creepy creep)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Tu
South Africa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DbZer0 wrote:
mbialeck wrote:

Yes! The "Keep OCTGN Alive" campaign is being decommissioned as well. Check it out again for the news. Of course since it's a fixed cost you won't be charged anything, but indiegogo does not allow to cancel a project which is what we'd like to have done.

Not sure what it means to decommission but not cancel, but I'm sure it'll be alright. Indiegogo wouldn't charge anyone unless the full amount was reached. So - all good in the hood.

Or they did and will do a refund, not sure how it works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
DbZer0 wrote:
The "Keep OCTGN Alive" campaign is being decommissioned as well.

And praise the gods for that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
LordNat wrote:

Thoughts?

Cool idea

I do think for that to be cool enough there could be some rehashes to the interface to be more spectator friendly - like what Team Covenant has done with their game recordings.

Graphically I think even small changes can go a long long way towards making the game (VERY) spectator worthy

Not that the casters and recorders aren't doing a great job currently, of course!

Out of all the card game players online (even the official ones like MTG:Online) OCTGN spectates the best right now. That is even with out anything built in to support spectating.

It might not make a bunch of money but all OCTGN users have to do is watch the content to fund it.

My other idea was a monthly popup for users once they log in to remind them servers cost money and to donate. No reason both can't be done really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to putting this all behind us.
Sometimes, when we are passionate about something, it brings out the worst in us all.
Let's jack out of this run and prepare for a better one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randolph Bookman
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So... does that mean we won't be getting mac support?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos Thoukydidis
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shieldwolf wrote:

Of course you will. That has always been in the plan. Only question is how to fund the development for it. Hopefully the new system will work brilliantly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt - Conduit23
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tuism wrote:
mdanuser wrote:
Tuism wrote:

Nah, I jest! I don't mind the slow clap gesture at all

(Although I really, Really, REALLY think that Joffrey is a creepy creep)

He's the creepiest. But having a big gif playing as the first comment is kind of annoying. >.>

So when can I get a "DbZer0 is my hero" microbadge?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bergeron
United States
Sulphur
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brine wrote:
LordNat wrote:
Tuism wrote:
LordNat wrote:

Thoughts?

Cool idea

Out of all the card game players online (even the official ones like MTG:Online) OCTGN spectates the best right now. That is even with out anything built in to support spectating.

It might not make a bunch of money but all OCTGN users have to do is watch the content to fund it.

My other idea was a monthly popup for users once they log in to remind them servers cost money and to donate. No reason both can't be done really.

OCTGN quite literally crashes the game whenever a spectator leaves, and it's still the best option for spectating? That's awesome, and kinda sad, at the same time.

When someone wants to watch, I usually warn them that they must stay in for the whole game, so it's not that much of a problem. Go OCTGN!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
This is how you communicate with a community. Good one db0.. Respect is a 2 way street. Awaiting the announcement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bbb ccc
Australia
flag msg tools
shieldwolf wrote:

the new version of octgn that is in beta right now runs on mac and linux though wine..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pavlos Pavlopoulos
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
If I had any GG db0, I would tip ya!

Quick, someone pass me some!

Edit: Wow, this worked... Well, as promised!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
brine wrote:
LordNat wrote:
Tuism wrote:
LordNat wrote:

Thoughts?

Cool idea

OCTGN quite literally crashes the game whenever a spectator leaves, and it's still the best option for spectating? That's awesome, and kinda sad, at the same time.

It is the only one with the option right now honestly. At least last I checked some time middle of last year. Being the only makes you the best, just ask Tigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
One-Nil to the Arsenal!
badge
And it's Arsenal, Arsenal FC, We're by far the greatest team, The world has ever seen....
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear that OCTGN doesn't plan on destroying itself. I'm curious to see what solution they've come up with. Hopefully it will involve cross-platform development in some way. However, I definitely think there needs to be more of a mea culpa than we've seen. The behavior on display last night by the project lead was off-putting to say the least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Lupo
Italy
Lecce
Puglia
flag msg tools
mb
vantageGT wrote:
I definitely think there needs to be more of a mea culpa than we've seen.

Be graceful in victory, there is no need for that. Let's concentrate on more productive discussions from now on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Kernes
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wolf88 wrote:
vantageGT wrote:
I definitely think there needs to be more of a mea culpa than we've seen.

Be graceful in victory, there is no need for that, let's concentrate on more productive discussions from now on.

I agree, both sides have agreed they overreacted at some level and are now willing to meet in the middle ground, so lets start over as a team and make the changes we need to for OCTGN.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.