Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
http://twitter.com/quixote171
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a bit of a dispute playing Citadels the other night.
Normally when we run into trouble, we take a vote and move on.
There were four of us playing and we split down the middle.

The problem revolves around the Armory.
I don't have the game with me, so I'm recalling from memory the card text -
forgive me if I err.

It says something to the effect of "You may destroy the armory in order to destroy any other building."

So you pay 3 gold to build the armory into your city.
Question number 1: Does destroying the armory cost like it would the Warlord, i.e. you pay two gold to destroy it, and it takes out another district of your choice?
or is it a free action? Just remove both districts from the game.
or do you have to pay to destroy both districts.
My vote is for option number 1 - you pay two gold to destroy the armory and remove the district of your choice for free.
Thoughts?

Issue number 2:
The Warlord cannot destroy districts in a completed city. Does the same rule apply to the armory? In other words, can the armory be used to prolong a game by removing someone's eighth district?
I lean towards no, once an eighth district is played, that city is done and can't be brought back below eight - but that's just me.
Thoughts?

-Quixote
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent
United States
San Jose
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The card says:
During your turn, you may destroy the Armory in order to destroy any other district card of your choice in another player's city.

1. No, there is no gold mentioned, so there is none required. The cost of destroying a district is losing your Armory.

2. It doesn't say you can't use the ability after an eighth district is built, so you can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Szilagyi
United States
Parma
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards aren't everything.

While I agree with you that the 'no mention of gold' would indicate this action is free, (Other cards mention spending 'x' gold to perform their actions) the basic rules state:

"When a player builds an eighth district, the players finish the round. The game ends at the end of that round."

and also (with reference to the Warlord):

"You may not, however, destroy a district in a city that is already completed by having eight districts." (underlines mine, naturally)

While no specific mention on the Armory card itself is made to a "completed" city, clearly the spirit of these rules is that any city with eight districts in it is to be viewed as untouchable.

And is therefore cause to end the game.

-ZZ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Me
United States
Bowling Green
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had been meaning to look that up. I agree with Paul assuming it's worded that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO, it's allowed, forcing the game to end even though the person would now have only 7 districts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
I admit the rules are ambiguous on this, but my idea was that it is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Greisz
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bruno,

Would the game still end, as the card says the game ends after the turn, even though the condition is no longer met? Love the game btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Yes, it would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Lau
Malaysia
Petaling jaya
Selangor
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, from what I could understand from the card text and the rule book is that you discard the armory district from your district area to destroy another district. Since you are losing a district to destroy another district, I think this card is pretty fair. And no, you do not need to pay gold to activate this ability unlike the Warlock. But, if your group still couldn't decide on the card, why not replace the card with some other card from the expansion. The rule book states that you can replace 2-3 purple district from the original district deck and put in cards from the expansion. You are not supposed to play with all the purple districts from the Dark City Expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
http://twitter.com/quixote171
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so to sum up:

The cost of using the armory is losing the armory - fair enough.

And as far as the endgame situation - The Game still ends even if the attacked player now has only 7 districts.

It makes it easier to have this sort of thing covered before you run up against it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.